Avon Spirit St 160 Vibration - PSI?

Thread: Avon Spirit St 160 Vibration - PSI?

Default Avon Spirit St 160 Vibration - PSI?

I recently read about someone else having the same problem, and "fixed" it by adjusting the tire pressure... be dammed if I can find that thread now.

I have a "shimmy" or vibration which from the ****pit (bwaahaha wouldn't let me type "c0ckpit" lol), at speed, looks like an unbalanced wheel shake, which is very slight/unnoticeable at slow speeds but gets progressively worse until about 130/140kmh (80mph) where I feel unsafe to go any faster (but previously had no such concerns on the 130 stock tire).

I did my best and gave up searching, but someone mentioned the tire pressure fixed this for them. Anyone see the same post or know what pressure change was applied? More or Less pressure? I'm guessing less, but not sure. I am presuming the tire was properly balanced when installed of course, it is very new still.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 05-17-2019 at 11:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I run whatever the sidewall recommends.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I run whatever the sidewall recommends.

-Josh
    ...Me too. I see no reason to deviate from the recommended tire press for any given tire.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 05-17-2019 at 01:28 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Ok, I will check the sidewall and doublecheck my pressure, see what happens.
    I didn't do that right off the hop as I thought, for our 160, the sidewall pressure wasn't "best case" due to the smaller-than-recommended rim? But I guess... pressure is pressure, regardless of the shape. I dunno, not an engineer (thank goodness...ha).

I had a shimmy at about 115mph that was caused by low tire pressure. I usually run 40psi in my front tire. I had been lazy and allowed it to drop to 32psi, and ended up with shimmy at higher speeds.

You would be amazed at the difference 5-10psi can make at higher speeds.

The pressure I run is for reference only, and may be different for your set up. I’m running a stock size front tire, and you’re running a 160.

Be safe out there.

Taz
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109r
    ----------------------------------
    Taz
    ----------------------------------
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

The pressure on the tire represents what it should be set to when there is maximum load on the tire.
    As this is a tire spec, where the tire could be placed on any rim on any bike, it really has nothing to do with it being on a 9.
    Having said that, if running the max tire pressure on the tire works for anyone, then why not.

To try to eliminate the vibration I would inflate the tire to the max indicated on it, then start to methodically lower it until the vibration returns (like 1 PSI at a time).
    Obviously once the vibration returns, then increase it back to the last pressure that it did not vibrate at.

Because the tire is larger than the recommended, the stock pressure recommendation from Suzuki will not work.
    Lowering the pressure from stock recommendation won't eliminate the vibration...likely it will cause more.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I always run recommended tire pressure for the tire. So 40-42psi. I check before every ride. Don't trust weights at high speeds as when the tire wears balance will change. I ran Ride-On last couple seasons and now using beads and don't notice any difference other than a goopy mess when changing tires

Also
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-17-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasnuke View Post
    ... To try to eliminate the vibration I would inflate the tire to the max indicated on it, then start to methodically lower it until the vibration returns (like 1 PSI at a time). Obviously once the vibration returns, then increase it back to the last pressure that it did not vibrate at. ...
    This gave me a "D'oh" why-didn't-I-think-of-that, reaction... ha.

I appreciate everyone's commentary and they all make sense - go with what works for you, keeping in mind maximum load / non standard setups etc.

Given the variables of putting a non-standard wheel on a non-standard rim for that wheel... I think I will give the empirical approach a try. Pump'er up, and let'er down slow until it stops.
    Thanks Sasnuke.

One of my bikes has a similar problem when my rear tire gets low...almost tank slapped on me at 103mph!!! Yes, the rear tire will make this happen as well. I know it sounds wierd but rear tire pressure will affect it as well.
    We'll be friends until we are old and senile,
    then we'll be new friends!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbike228 View Post
    One of my bikes has a similar problem when my rear tire gets low...almost tank slapped on me at 103mph!!! Yes, the rear tire will make this happen as well. I know it sounds wierd but rear tire pressure will affect it as well.
    Good point!!
    Thanks, I will check both... as soon as it stops f*n raining here long enough to bother riding it.