Avon Cobra Rain Performance...was it the cold?

Thread: Avon Cobra Rain Performance...was it the cold?

Default Avon Cobra Rain Performance...was it the cold?

Had an opportunity (if you call it that) to ride my new Avon Cobra Chrome 250 rear in the rain yesterday. Full disclosure - it was cold, maybe 8C (46F) on clean, old pavement, urban main street, no sand, no tar snakes, no painted lines, straight line, new tires have been scrubbed in, pressure is... I forget, 40 something?

Keeping in mind I also just recently ran all day in wet conditions with Stavros on the Ontario ride and had no problems:

Last night I was coming around on a left turn and taking it easy on purpose due to the rain, 1st gear...all good, out of the turn, 2nd gear ok... slight blip in 2nd gear - and I mean GENTLE blip... rear let go for some brief fishtail-ish action! wtf?! Caught me a little by surprise as I was already moving and did not expect the rear to let go like that in a straight line with so little torque applied.

My first two thoughts - check and adjust the pressure and maybe it was the 8C temperature + wet + torque which was just too many factors for the tires to hold on?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Had an opportunity (if you call it that) to ride my new Avon Cobra Chrome 250 rear in the rain yesterday. Full disclosure - it was cold, maybe 8C (46F) on clean, old pavement, urban main street, no sand, no tar snakes, no painted lines, straight line, new tires have been scrubbed in, pressure is... I forget, 40 something?

Keeping in mind I also just recently ran all day in wet conditions with Stavros on the Ontario ride and had no problems:

Last night I was coming around on a left turn and taking it easy on purpose due to the rain, 1st gear...all good, out of the turn, 2nd gear ok... slight blip in 2nd gear - and I mean GENTLE blip... rear let go for some brief fishtail-ish action! wtf?! Caught me a little by surprise as I was already moving and did not expect the rear to let go like that in a straight line with so little torque applied.

My first two thoughts - check and adjust the pressure and maybe it was the 8C temperature + wet + torque which was just too many factors for the tires to hold on?

Thoughts?
    I had the same thing happen years ago. It'd just started raining. I was coming out of a left- handed corner that had a dip as I exited and the dip was just enough to make me blip the throttle and the rear broke loose. I pulled in the clutch and let the rear tire slow down and regain traction.

I'm running an Avon cobra because Metzeler has the sidewall cracking issues on the me880. Metzeler has always had superior wet weather traction. I lived in Florida, and riding in the rain is just part of riding in Florida. When I wear out my current Avon, I'll give the the Metzeler me888 a try.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I had the same thing happen years ago. It'd just started raining. I was coming out of a left- handed corner that had a dip as I exited and the dip was just enough to make me blip the throttle and the rear broke loose. I pulled in the clutch and let the rear tire slow down and regain traction.

I'm running an Avon cobra because Metzeler has the sidewall cracking issues on the ME880. Metzeler has always had superior wet weather traction. I lived in Florida, and riding in the rain is just part of riding in Florida. When I wear out my current Avon, I'll give the the Metzeler me888 a try.

-Josh
    I remember that whole big issue about the sidewalls cracking on the METZELER ME880 Marathon tires not so long ago, as it happened to one of my rear 280 Metz tires. Since then, Iíve purchased/acquired 2 more METZELER ME880 rear tires, and they have had no cracking issues. I think METZELER had a batch or a few batches of tires back then that had the cracking issues, and the problem has been resolved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    I remember that whole big issue about the sidewalls cracking on the METZELER ME880 Marathon tires not so long ago, as it happened to one of my rear 280 Metz tires. Since then, Iíve purchased/acquired 2 more METZELER ME880 rear tires, and they have had no cracking issues. I think METZELER had a batch or a few batches of tires back then that had the cracking issues, and the problem has been resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post

I'm running an Avon cobra because Metzeler has the sidewall cracking issues on the me880. Metzeler has always had superior wet weather traction. I lived in Florida, and riding in the rain is just part of riding in Florida. When I wear out my current Avon, I'll give the the Metzeler me888 a try.

-Josh
    Good to know. And yes, sadly the 880 cracking tire situation played heavily in my decision to go Avon - unfortunately when something like that happens, it (probably unfairly) sticks for a long long time (like the Tylenol murders in 1982 which stopped me from taking Tylenol...for about 30 years). Maybe next time I will try Metz also, if for no other reason than to at least compare.

One must remember that when it first starts raining, the oil that accumulates in the center of the road starts migrating elsewhere. The roads are usually the slickest right after it starts raining.

As for the Metzeler issue, I've had the 280 on the back since July. No cracks.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:26 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    One mus remember that when it first starts raining, the oil that accumulates in the center of the road starts migrating elsewhere. The roads are usually the slickest right after it starts raining.

As for the Metzeler issue, I've had the 280 on the back since July. No cracks.
    Thatís a very good point you made about road conditions when it first starts to rain. I think some of us forget about that from time to time. Iíve simply made it a point to refrain from riding in the rain, or even when thereís rain in the forecast at any time during that day.

Also, I love the performance of the METZELER ME880 Marathon tires. My only complaint is the pricing. Avon has a 160/60 front tire and 300 rear tire that is proving to be major competition to the METZELER tires, in terms of performance, longevity, and especially pricing. Iím going to give them a try whenever I finally have to change the tires on my 08í Crushed Chrome 9.

I like you avoid riding if the weather forecast even says 10% chance. LOL!

But, the last time I did ride in the rain, there was zero percent chance, and I was out riding. Blam, it's raining cats-and-dogs. Got caught out in it. That was several years ago. Fortunately that doesn't happen often. That same year, I was out driving my Lightning on another zero percent chance day. Had some Mickey Thompson drag radials on the back that were in serious need of being replaced. They're bad when they do have tread, when they're almost bald, WATCH OUT! It started raining cats-and-dogs on me about 20 miles from home. Got it home without any troubles. Just drove like a frightened old man. Did the trick.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Road conditions especially in the spring in Canada. All the dirt/sand/salt washing around. I wouldn't blame it on the tire, to many variables. Avon are built in UK so it's always wet there but don't have all the Canadian variables with what we dump on our roads here for 6 months out of the year

I had a pair of Avon Storm 3D tires on my M90. They worked very well in the rain. I can't comment on the Meltzer's though.