Scorpion tip baffles

Thread: Scorpion tip baffles

Default Scorpion tip baffles

Any one on here have any snaps or information on baffling with scorpion tips. Now don't get me wrong I love the sound it puts down at idle and under load, but at highway speeds cruising between 2 and 3k RPM I would just love to knock the edges of a little. But otherwise I am impressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190330_133657.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	383744  
    Chicks Dig Guys with Big Pistons

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Scorpion tip baffles

Not sure what your question is, you can’t baffle tips. The baffle is removed totally

I understand that they are just tips but reading old posts people have talked that either you could add a baffle or a lollipop or something just to curb the noise. But the pic links are all dead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

So after some pondering, I bought some baffles and fit them to the tips. After installed I wanted to here how they sound. I threw on an old lid instead of my full face and test ride. They were quite quiet. I removed them and rode again and to my surprise the tips with no baffles were a lot quieter than with my full face. As it turns out the ear splitting noise on the highway is all because of the helmet, and not the tips. Anyone else run across this?

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

when I got bike it had Scorpion tips without baffles. Hated the sound. Higher pitch mid range twacky sound. People would never ride behind me on the right side either. I found a set of Vance and Hines Big Shots from a motorcycle wrecker in Edmonton. I love the sound. Very deep rumble and not obnoxiously loud until I hammer on it

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Very deep rumble and not obnoxiously loud until I hammer on it
    I actually love the sound now. Very similar, nice deep rumble until hammered then all hell breaks loose. And totally tolerable on the highway, unlike before with the full face helmet. So now I will ride with the halfshell until I do any highway and then I use ear buds for long trips so win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulevard1974 View Post
    So after some pondering, I bought some baffles and fit them to the tips. After installed I wanted to here how they sound. I threw on an old lid instead of my full face and test ride. They were quite quiet. I removed them and rode again and to my surprise the tips with no baffles were a lot quieter than with my full face. As it turns out the ear splitting noise on the highway is all because of the helmet, and not the tips. Anyone else run across this?
    Interesting discovery! (Awesome signature banner btw...)
    I always (when I don't forget) wear ear plugs and always a full face helmet. Never occurred to me the helmet might create a filtered echo chamber effect, enhancing noise rather than quieting it as naturally expected. Curious.

Yes I have a Shoei GT Air helmet and while it does block almost all wind noise the reverb off curbs and even the ground can be unbearable. But I ran a two hour trip north to Whitecourt and with my noise cancelling ear buds in it was so peaceful, just a faint rumble from the exhaust but once the ear plug might loosen wow what a noise.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I won't ride without full face helmet. Never had an issue with noise. I have Arai and love it. Actually when I got my first street bike and my license in 1978 I paid $700 for a '75 Suzuki GT500 and an Arai helmet was $350 so half the price of the bike LOL