Weird Vibration

Thread: Weird Vibration

Default Weird Vibration

I have done much searching on the forums for an answer, but none of the other posts seem to describe the vibration I am experiencing.

It is a 2009 that I purchased with 40,000KM on it. The engine is stock except for Cobra dragster pipes. I changed all the fluids and have put on about 800KM and it is now starting to have a shudder/vibration when idling down the highway. If I am accelerating, it is gone, if I am decelerating, it is gone, but if I hold steady it is there. I can notice it in 4th and 5th the most, with the RPM around 3000.

Now for the sensation. It makes me think of a worn out bushing on a high speed electric motor. Like a vibration of the shaft in the bore. Also kind reminds me if you have a worn out U-Joint on the drive shaft in a truck. The vibration is enough that I cannot use the mirrors.

So is this what others feel when the clutch springs start rattling around needing the "Bluey" fix?

The engine is stock except Cobra dragster pipes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Have you changed your front motor mounts?

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Dido what Bigpapa said. Change your front motor mount bushings to the rear upper part numbers here. The lower 4 bushings are softer than the rear uppers and wear out quick
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/su...981c2812b93881

I had same issue after getting to 28k kms last summer. At highway speed 120kmh plus in the over 3000rpm cruising speed in just 4th and 5th gear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Dido what Bigpapa said. Change your front motor mount bushings to the rear upper part numbers here. The lower 4 bushings are softer than the rear uppers and wear out quick
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/su...981c2812b93881

I had same issue after getting to 28k kms last summer. At highway speed 120kmh plus in the over 3000rpm cruising speed in just 4th and 5th gear.
    Since new my 9 had a vibration at about 3100 rpm even after I changed the mounts .Don't know how long you had the bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by tinman357 View Post
    Since new my 9 had a vibration at about 3100 rpm even after I changed the mounts .Don't know how long you had the bike.

I have had the bike for a month now but I have put 800 highway KM on it since buying it. This vibration is new. It makes my arms and butt numb and it never did that before. Like I mentioned above it also makes the mirrors totally unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbanx View Post
    I have had the bike for a month now but I have put 800 highway KM on it since buying it. This vibration is new. It makes my arms and butt numb and it never did that before. Like I mentioned above it also makes the mirrors totally unusable.
    Tires out of balance will make it go crazy like that. How old are the tires? How are they balanced? Weights? Beads? Bad tire maybe. Is it more at a certain speed or just RPM?

This is my 3rd season with it. Noticed it more after long holiday ride or could be placebo effect from reading the posts here LOL

Is it possible one of the wheel weights fell off, or hit a pothole an bent a rim. .Or as others have said motor mounts I changed mine at ten thousand miles an have 34 thousand miles on mine now..I also run beads in tires with no wheel weights .

]

Is it possible one of the wheel weights fell off, or hit a pothole an bent a rim. .Or as others have said motor mounts I changed mine at ten thousand miles an have 34 thousand miles on mine now..I also run beads in tires with no wheel weights .

Dido on the beads. Weights are only as good as tire wear. As tires wear the balancing changes so with weights it can go out of balance. Beads continuously move around inside the tires and will keep the balance better. If you've lost a weight or bent a rim it's speed related and cause massive vibration
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 1 Week Ago at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Dido on the beads. Weights are only as good as tire wear. As tires wear the balancing changes so with weights it can go out of balance. Beads continuously move around inside the tires and will keep the balance better. If you've lost a weight or bent a rim it's speed related and cause massive vibration
    That reminds me, when I was at the track last Friday, a groupe of us were discussing tires. I mentioned I use beads the this one dude started off by saying "I've been certified motorcycle mechanic for 15 years and balancing beads are snake oil. If you line up the dot with the stem you will need virtually no balancing. Save your money." Then he went off on how it's crazy that I have two different brand tires on my bike, the Dunlop on the rear and the Avon on the front. I shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

Default THESE GUYS HAVE GIVEN GREAT ADVICE

Quote Originally Posted by 06MrMike View Post
    To the OP, if I were you, I would initially address that vibration issue by changing the motor mounts in the link above provided by 06MrMike (they having proven to be the best motor mounts out there for the 9 thus far), and removing the wheel weights and going with Dyna Beads/Ceramic Beads instead. I have both on my two 9s now, and they both ride as smooth as a 9 can possibly ride.

I haven't taken the mounts out yet, that is the project for this afternoon.

I doubt it has anything to do with the wheel weights. The vibration is at ~3000RPM no matter what gear I am in.

Thanks for all the replies though. I appreciate the willingness to help out a fellow rider.

Can you contact the previous owner and see if they have replaced them? If not then yours are probably bad.

There are a few quick checks for motor mounts without pulling them out. 1 - Check the gap on the two covers on the left side. 2 - Put a jack under just the motor and jack it up and look for movement before the bike moves. 3 - Hold the front brake and have someone look at the motor for movement while you give it gas and let off.

Is there any weird noise coming from the left side back cover when moving. Could be the secondary bearing going bad but there should be a noise if it is.