Accidental Short

Thread: Accidental Short

Default Accidental Short

I was working on my 2018 Boss and accidentally created a short by touching the positive and negative battery terminals together. Now the “check” error displays and no error code displays with the paper clip trick. I think I may have ruined the ECU and possibly my TRE but I’m not sure. Any ideas or way to test the ECU and TRE?
    -The bike starts and sound ok, “check” remains, but no FI light
    -Fuses near battery tested good

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    I was working on my 2018 Boss and accidentally created a short by touching the positive and negative battery terminals together. Now the “check” error displays and no error code displays with the paper clip trick. I think I may have ruined the ECU and possibly my TRE but I’m not sure. Any ideas or way to test the ECU and TRE?
    -The bike starts and sound ok, “check” remains, but no FI light
    -Fuses near battery tested good

I did not get the part about the bike starts and runs in your PM.
    Doubt you have ruined your ECU if your bike is running.
    And why would you think you ruined your TRE.....(Just curious as to your though process)
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it again to see if the Check indication resets?

BCS

I did not get the part about the bike starts and runs in your PM.
    Doubt you have ruined your ECU if your bike is running.
    And why would you think you ruined your TRE.....(Just curious as to your though process)
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it again to see if the Check indication resets?

BCS[/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s a good sign that the problem isn’t as large as the ECU if the bike still runs. I thought it might be the ECU due to a code not displaying with the paper clip trick or the TRE that might not have an error code. The TRE was connected directly to the battery but doesn’t have an in-line fuse, which is why I think it may be the issue: I’m thinking that maybe I should take off the TRE and rewire back to stock to see if thats the case. I’ve tried unplugging the battery, but “check” still continues to display. Maybe there’s a hard code that won’t reset with the battery unplug trick? I’d hate to take it into the shop, but maybe I save myself the trouble and take it in?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

I can see why you might think the TRE is would bad then.
    I am sure you now realize this but you should never connect anything to a battery that is not properly fused for the load.
    Connecting even something as innocent looking as TRE to the battery unfused has the potential to burn your entire bike to the ground.

So far what I have seen in the manual regarding the check indication states that there will be no code displayed when the check indication if present.
    And all the trouble shooting says is....

“CHEC”: The LCD panel indicates “CHEC” when no communication signal from the ECM is received for 3
    seconds.
    For Example
    : The ignition switch is turned ON, and the engine stop switch is turned OFF. In this case, the speedometer
    does not receive any signal from ECM, and the panel indicates “CHEC”.
    If CHEC is indicated, the LCD does not indicate the trouble code. It is necessary to check the wiring
    harness between ECM and speedometer couplers.
    The possible cause of this indication is as follows;
    Engine stop switch is in OFF position. Side-stand/ignition inter-lock system is not working. Ignition
    fuse is burnt.

But your bike runs so that would indicate that none of the start prevention circuitry is faulty.........but electronics can be puzzling as times.

If I come across anything helpful I will be sure to post back.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:47 AM.

Lesson learned. Thank you for the information, this should help with my troubleshooting. I’ll keep working to solve the problem before I ride and post back when I figure it out.