Default Gas

I'm aware that our 9s calls for high octane 91+
    Can we run 100 Or more on stock.
    I used 2 run boostane in my stang 100 but was tuned

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well, I run a combination I mix myself. Consisting of four gallons of 93 octane and one gallon of 110 octane Sunoco. Don't really need to, but love the smell in the mornings!

I wouldn't run any kind of high octane straight. My experience with that is that there is such a thing as too much octane. My Nine doesn't like 110 straight. Backfires, spits, acts the fool. But a 20% mix, which is one gallon 110 to four gallons 93, it runs awesome and the smell is to die for! And yeah, people ask me all the time what kind of fuel I run. LOL
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I thought the 9 was spaced for 90 octane? Anything more then that is a waste.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I thought the 9 was spaced for 90 octane? Anything more then that is a waste.
    It actually states "Of at least 90 Octane"

So 90 would be a minimum Octane rating.

I build my tunes on 93 octane pump gas, so anyone running one should try to use as close to that as possible. (Not the question asked but just though I would throw that out there as a public service announcement)

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	383606  

Quote Originally Posted by punkbober View Post
    I'm aware that our 9s calls for high octane 91+
    I used 2 run boostane in my stang 100 but was tuned

Higher octane is not going to make any more "Power", in most cases it actually has less BTU by volume than lower Octane fuel.
    (I am no chemist so I am sure there are exceptions like oxygenated fuels....but someone other than me would have to step in and explain that further as I have never dabbled in that area)

Higher Octane does resist pre-ignition in higher compression built engines better than a lower octane fuel would though....which is why you see this sold as racing fuel.

If your bike is not built to have higher compression than stock or if it is not tuned for higher octane fuel.....then you are not doing much other than spending more money by using it.

That's my understanding anyway.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 05-06-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by punkbober View Post
    I missed the "stock" part of your question before.

If you are running a "Stock Exhaust" on your bike that has a catalytic converter in it, running a much higher octane fuel than specified by the manufacture may actually damage your cat convert over time.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 05-06-2019 at 01:01 AM.

The other issue with over-octane fuels is that they burn hotter and could cause heat damage to the cylinders and heads. You would also need to consider running hotter spark plugs too.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    The other issue with over-octane fuels is that they burn hotter and could cause heat damage to the cylinders and heads. You would also need to consider running hotter spark plugs too.
    Well, the mix I use nets 96.4 octane. 4 x 93 = 372. 372 + 110 = 482. 482 / 5 = 96.4. Not too high, but just enough to make the exhaust smell like it is too high!

Obviously, I only do it for around town and close to home use. If I happen to hit the road and need to fill it elsewhere, I'll put in 93 if available, or 91 if not. Heck, once, needed gas. Only station around only had 87. Nothing else. Nothing anywhere close for who knows how many miles. Put it in and took it easy til I could find more of the good stuff.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Max we can get where I live is 91. When I travel west to Alberta, BC and in Montana and anywhere in the USA I can get 94. Don't know why the dumb asses only do 91 here

I remember from years ago when we were always building V8s for 4 wheels. Lower octane actually gives more power than higher octane. Once you run higher compression and want advanced timing is where you need higher octane which runs cooler and prevents detention or pinging. In the early 80s they actually were selling water injection systems for high compression performance engines. It created a mist cooling effect to take away knocking/detonation when running lower octane
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-06-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Higher octane is not going to make any more "Power", in most cases it actually has less BTU by volume than lower Octane fuel.
    (I am no chemist so I am sure there are exceptions like oxygenated fuels....but someone other than me would have to step in and explain that further as I have never dabbled in that area)

Higher Octane does resist pre-ignition in higher compression built engines better than a lower octane fuel would though....which is why you see this sold as racing fuel.

If your bike is not built to have higher compression than stock or if it is not tuned for higher octane fuel.....then you are not doing much other than spending more money by using it.

That's my understanding anyway.

BCS
    ^^^ This.

Higher octane is for higher compression by design so it doesn't ignite prematurely under pressure and actually burns *slower* than *lower* octane. Running excessive octane in an engine not designed for it is expected to produce *less* power not more. Having said that - I don't know what our "max" is, given "minimum" requirement of 90.

One car-based example:
    https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/o...es-more-power/

I tried looking up Octane vs. Compression... and got schooled. Apparently there are many interdependent factors. Some consensus suggests 10:1 is the maximum safe compression for 91 before it detonates (we are apparently 10.5:1), but cam and cylinder add a whole bunch of rules wayyy over my head. My best understanding - 91 or more is safe but excessive octane without other adjustments (as BCS mentioned) will likely result in less power.

So says Dr. Google...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Max we can get where I live is 91. When I travel west to Alberta, BC and in Montana and anywhere in the USA I can get 94. Don't know why the dumb asses only do 91 here

I remember from years ago when we were always building V8s for 4 wheels. Lower octane actually gives more power than higher octane. Once you run higher compression and want advanced timing is where you need higher octane which runs cooler and prevents detention or pinging. In the early 80s they actually were selling water injection systems for high compression performance engines. It created a mist cooling effect to take away knocking/detonation when running lower octane
    Let me know where I can get 94 octane anywhere in the US! I've never seen it myself. California, you'll only get 91. Many states that is true. Here in Oklahoma, 93 used to be fairly easily found at Sinclair stations. Then one year, it just stopped. The one station I know of here in the Oklahoma City area that still has 93 is 3.5 miles from me. Other than that, it's 91. Drove to Missouri to pick up a custom hood a friend made for my Lightning, and 93 was easily found there. But 94? Never seen it! California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana. All states I've been to, never seen 94, never found any more than 93. And that was very rare. And when I could find 93, you'll pay through the nose for it. Almost .50 a gallon more than 91.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Up here we have 91 and 94,no ethanol,can’t say I notice any significant difference..87-89,yes very noticeable,but all have ethanol
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post

SOME Petro Canada locations have 94 octane. I looked up Regina and but it looks like you are out of luck. There are several stations here in Edmonton with 94 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    SOME Petro Canada locations have 94 octane. I looked up Regina and but it looks like you are out of luck. There are several stations here in Edmonton with 94 octane.
    Yeah. When I was there I googled the Petro Cans that had it

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Lived in regina for a bit thy dont have 94.
    Endup tuning my car for high octane,was buy from a VP supplier

When I bought my bike I was told to run high octane from Shell as that's the best fuel. I know my son runs Shell high octane in his 6.2 Silverado and feels that the truck runs better compared to when he puts in lower grade fuel?

In the past, with other motors/trucks, I typically would switch high octane to mid or low grade every other tank. I will be keeping an eye (and ear) out with my 109 to see if I can notice a difference.

In Sask i go with Shell or Esso as their additives are apparently better but still 91. Husky says they are 94 but it's ethanol which I will never run

In Montana I found higher than 91 in larger centers.

British Columbia which is the Left coast tree huggers actually have 94. I couldn't believe that

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho may have been 93 but it's still better than 91. I was all over the place LOL and got 94 along the way
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-07-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Very Active Member

I use mostly 87 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Up here we have 91 and 94,no ethanol,can’t say I notice any significant difference..87-89,yes very noticeable,but all have ethanol
    In Ontario all grades of Petro-Can have ethanol. Esso and Shell have ethanol in all grades but premium. While the bike manual says it can take some ethanol, I try to stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by LLTim44549 View Post
    When I bought my bike I was told to run high octane from Shell as that's the best fuel. I know my son runs Shell high octane in his 6.2 Silverado and feels that the truck runs better compared to when he puts in lower grade fuel?

In the past, with other motors/trucks, I typically would switch high octane to mid or low grade every other tank. I will be keeping an eye (and ear) out with my 109 to see if I can notice a difference.
    In most cars/trucks the technology is such that you can run pretty much any grade and the technology will adapt to that grade. If you push your vehicle all the time and need the top end HP from the engine, then you should run premium. I had a Infiniti Q37 and I ran regular grade for the 4 years I owned it. I never had a problem with performance or engine maintenance. Motorcycles are not as complex as cars/trucks and you need to be very selective on the fuel and spark plugs used. Using too high a grade of gas will cause excessive heat in the cylinders and may damage them.

Very Active Member

All Honda motorcycles that I own and have owned, require(ed) only 87 octane. Years ago I was told by a Honda mechanic that using higher octane would cause excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. He observed this problem on bikes that had been running higher than 87 octane. So using fuel of a higher octane than is specified might be causing long-term problems. Plus the fact that the higher octane fuel is a waste of money.

In Ontario all grades of Petro-Can have ethanol. Esso and Shell have ethanol in all grades but premium. While the bike manual says it can take some ethanol, I try to stay away from it.

91 shell is my favorite,no ethanol,next up Esso 91...Petro -can 94 has no ethanol either,it’s the old Sunoco 94..
    Stav

In most cars/trucks the technology is such that you can run pretty much any grade and the technology will adapt to that grade. If you push your vehicle all the time and need the top end HP from the engine, then you should run premium. I had a Infiniti Q37 and I ran regular grade for the 4 years I owned it. I never had a problem with performance or engine maintenance. Motorcycles are not as complex as cars/trucks and you need to be very selective on the fuel and spark plugs used. Using too high a grade of gas will cause excessive heat in the cylinders and may damage them.
    Yeah, most cars and trucks have "knock" sensors. So they can adapt to whatever grade gas you put in them. Our bikes do not. As for higher octane "may damage the cylinders". Been running the 96.4 octane blend I mix up in mine for 13 years and 35,000 miles. No damage yet. I'll keep doing it, thank you very much. YMMV

It's kind of like the horse's asses at The Ranger Station telling me not to put 20W-50 in my 98 V-6 Ranger. "It'll damage the engine". 21 years and 162,000 miles tells me they know not what they're blabbering on about. I'll keep doing it, thank you very much! YMMV

Also, my 98 Ranger doesn't have knock sensors, and pings like crazy on 87 octane. Yeah, it has an intake, exhaust, chip on the computer which changes the timing, so it's expected. The reality is you have to let your ears tell you what grade of fuel your vehicle needs. The Ranger talks to me on 87 and 89. Sometimes even on 91. But it whispers sweet nothings in my ears on 93. So that's generally what I run in it as well.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-09-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING