Armor All Use On Motorcycle Tires or Not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor All Use On Motorcycle Tires or Not

Default Armor All Use On Motorcycle Tires or Not

Does anyone here believe it safe to use Armour All or any other brand of tire dressing on the sidewalls of your motorcycle tires? Please reply, and let me know your thoughts on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Does anyone here believe it safe to use Armour All or any other brand of tire dressing on the sidewalls of your motorcycle tires? Please reply, and let me know your thoughts on this.
    Everything I use on my 4 wheeled vehicles says to not use on motorcycles. Any tire dressing is designed for use on sidewalls and motorcycle tires have very little sidewall. I'm sure it would be fine to wipe on just sidewall but I would never want to have it get on the tread anywhere. It stays greasy and I'd be afraid of sliding in a corner. Also it holds all the dust to it which would make it slippery. I'd be afraid even just wiping on sidewall that with centrifugal force it would move out onto tread area

I'm not a fan of silicone based shining product even on the interior. I used Armour All when it first came out but must have an allergy to it as my eyes would water while driving after I applied it. I stopped using it probably 30 years ago.
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-05-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Very Active Member

Hell no!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

wsup, Man u kno, i font use no Armor ALL
    On mine very unsafe, 4me because i be tryna'
    touch them sidewalls, must a lil bit !!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]RearviewCamera,Flamed Grips&Pegs,Polished Risers w/2in ext.
    Hard Krome Shortened Sideburner,Sumo-X Fat Forktubes, GO-Pro, JSD-3M lowered2.75debeavered,tach relocated,cables relocated grips&throttle bosses RC Polished Component Wheels, Phat front tire170/60/17Phat Rear 280 10 1/2in. rim

No thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2011 M109R Blue with a lot of chrome (Sally)
    I named the truck wife named the bike

Quote Originally Posted by zzuke10 View Post

I know you donít Bro. We come from the same school of thought in terms of safety, and you and I discussed this issue years ago. I was just sitting here thinking about cleaning my bikes, and it made me wonder how many bike owners on this forum actually apply tire dressing to their motorcycle tires. I think itís a terrible mistake for anyone to make, and Iíll certainly never do anything like that. Can you imagine being in a curve at 50 to 60mph with Armour All or some other tire dressing spreading onto the edges of your tires? I have known some people in the past who thought there was nothing wrong with it.

So far, thereís a consensus that itís a bad idea. However, Iím wondering if thereís anyone here who does use a tire dressing on their bike, and what their rationale is for thinking itís a good idea.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

So far, there’s a consensus that it’s a bad idea. However, I’m wondering if there’s anyone here who does use a tire dressing on their bike, and what their rationale is for thinking it’s a good idea.
    Seems like I am always odd man out.

Not sure what brand it is off the top of my head but we do use something on the sidewalls of our tires......only rationale is just to make them look as shinny as the rest of my bike.

Never been a problem so far. [knock on wood]

I would be more worried about it drying out the rubber.......but tires have a tendency to not stick around long enough to dry rot.

I burn though my tires pretty quick and I replace the ones on the wife's bike every few years no matter if she needs them or not.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 05-05-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Very Active Member

On the sidewalls I don't see what the problem is.

Now, I don't do it simply because I don't care that the tires don't shine.

If I wanted to do it, I would spray into a rag and then apply to the sidewall.
    That way nothing can get to the surface that touches the road.
    That's probably what y'all are worried about to begin with.

E
    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post

Not sure what brand it is off the top of my head but we do use something on the sidewalls of our tires......only rationale is just to make them look as shinny as the rest of my bike.

I would be more worried about it drying out the rubber.......but tires have a tendency to not stick around long enough to dry rot.

I burn though my tires pretty quick and I replace the ones on the wife's bike every few years no matter if she needs them or not.

BCS
    This is an interesting response. Have you ever felt any slipping/sliding at all in turns/curves with the tire dressing applied to the sidewalls? As it is with car tires, I would expect the oil to run onto the tread ďchicken stripĒ area of the motorcycle tires, as a result of the force generated from the fast revolutions of the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    On the sidewalls I don't see what the problem is.

Now, I don't do it simply because I don't care that the tires don't shine.

If I wanted to do it, I would spray into a rag and then apply to the sidewall.
    That way nothing can get to the surface that touches the road.
    That's probably what y'all are worried about to begin with.
    That's exactly what I do....spray on a rag and apply to sidewall only....no issues...I use regular tire shine

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post

BCS
    I agree !!
    Burn through tires to Quick

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    That's exactly what I do....spray on a rag and apply to sidewall only....no issues...I use regular tire shine
    Iím not sure what product youíre referring to with the plethora of tire dressing products out there. Most of them have tons of oils and silicone in them to create that high-level shine, which is why I would expect the substance to spread when the tires are moving fast after being in the hot sun...mostly after the product is first applied.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

E

This is an interesting response. Have you ever felt any slipping/sliding at all in turns/curves with the tire dressing applied to the sidewalls? As it is with car tires, I would expect the oil to run onto the tread “chicken strip” area of the motorcycle tires, as a result of the force generated from the fast revolutions of the tires.
    Has not been a problem.

I put it on a rag also and only wipe the side wall.

BCS

This is what I use on truck and bike s
    I just use a rag with very little of the product
    No issues at all
    At the beach I’m more concerned about sand It’s everywhere.!

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	352EAF7E-C455-4842-B9BF-E99F09F69B96.jpg†
Views:	13†
Size:	68.7 KB†
ID:	383600Click image for larger version.†

Name:	2AFE43D0-1012-4C4F-B15D-FF7BD45456B4.jpg†
Views:	13†
Size:	91.1 KB†
ID:	383602It say do not use on motorcycles.

Iím glad none of you guys have had an accident as a result of using tire dressing on the sidewalls of your tires. Thank you all for chiming in with your experiences. Maybe itís not as dangerous as it seems. However, I personally know of a few guys and heard about several others throughout the years who had pretty bad accidents that were definitely caused by the use of tire dressing on their motorcycle tires. Iíve never tried it, due to those instances/incidents/accidents. Iíve always just kept the sidewalls of my tires clean by using a damp microfiber cloth, and never applied any sort of tire dressing to them.

I’m glad none of you guys have had an accident as a result of using tire dressing on the sidewalls of your tires. Thank you all for chiming in with your experiences. Maybe it’s not as dangerous as it seems. However, I personally know of a few guys and heard about several others throughout the years who had pretty bad accidents that were definitely caused by the use of tire dressing on their motorcycle tires. I’ve never tried it, due to those instances/incidents/accidents. I’ve always just kept the sidewalls of my tires clean by using a damp microfiber cloth, and never applied any sort of tire dressing to them.
    If you spray it on the tire it definitely will be dangerous as you noted earlier (leaking dripping onto the tread) however if you spray it on a rag and apply to the sidewall directly it will never make it to the road contact patch.

I've used tire shiny products on motorcycle tires for as long as I can remember. Sidewall only. That should go without saying. Not that there aren't stupied people out there who would use it on the tread.

I definitely spray it on the rag, and wipe the sidewall only. never hose the tire down with the stuff. Typically happens after a ride, and the bike sits for a while before being ridden again. Did it today. Rode the B-King for about five hours. got home, cleaned all the bug guts off, lubed the chain, cleaned the rims and shinied the tires. Likely won't get ridden again til Thursday, rain in the forecast the next three days.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-05-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have used 303 Aerospace for 15 years on the boat and bike. It is not just a protective coating but conditions as well.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I've tried tire dressing in the past on my tires also. I sprayed a small amount on a rag and put on the sidewalls.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Wow, I must admit Iím quite surprised by the number of members here who actually use tire dressing on their bike tires. Maybe I just have a phobia about applying it on my tires, after all the years of believing it is a hazardous thing to do...primarily as a result of the accidents Iíve seen and heard of, due to the use of tire dressing on their bike tires. Perhaps they applied too much by spraying it on, rather than applying it liberally/conservatively to the sidewalls only with a cloth or applicator.

....Perhaps they applied too much by spraying it on, rather than applying it liberally/conservatively to the sidewalls only with a cloth or applicator.
    That would be my guess....by applying via a rag you have full control to make sure it is applied only to the sidewall and not dripping leaking onto the tread.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    That would be my guess....by applying via a rag you have full control to make sure it is applied only to the sidewall and not dripping leaking onto the tread.
    You have full control.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

I have never bothered as my machine is not a show machine. I care less about who is impressed. I just ride. Give her a windex and pledge bath every now and then.

2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I have used 303 Aerospace for 15 years on the boat and bike. It is not just a protective coating but conditions as well.
    303 is great stuff!

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I've used eagle 1 brand. You have to be smart about it and not let it run onto your tread surface. I apply it with a sponge applicator, (never directly to the tire) and never in excess. You have to pay attention to what you're doing!

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Never would use it. I donít want to take a chance of getting caught in wet weather and having it run.

Quote Originally Posted by zzuke10 View Post

Are you having a stroke?

Very Active Member

Nope. I don't use any kind of tire dressing on any of my vehicles. My friend's son put Armoral on the seat of his motorcycle back in the 80s when bike seats were flat. You can imagine what happened. I think he still has sore nads.

Quote Originally Posted by AL R View Post
    Never would use it. I don’t want to take a chance of getting caught in wet weather and having it run.

This is what would worry me regardless of how carefully you applied it even using a sponge or rag as I'm not shy about risking getting a little wet from rain in the forecast when I get a chance to ride. In my mind the tire getting wet from rain could cause even carefully applied tire treatment to run onto the road contact area making an already slick situation even worse. It's just not worth the risk to me for the benefit of looking good while sitting in a parking lot showing off my bike and it's not something I even notice on other rider's bikes I may be admiring so for me it's a hard NO.