Getting sequential rear LED strip to work and defeat flasher relay

Thread: Getting sequential rear LED strip to work and defeat flasher relay

Default Getting sequential rear LED strip to work and defeat flasher relay

I have just purchased a sequential LED strip for my rear turn signals (on eBay - item# 173213586046). When I wired it up to the bike, it didn't work properly. I realized that the reason is that the strip is expecting a constant power, but the bike is supplying a flashing/pulsing power. I tried a 9volt battery and it worked perfectly. It sequentially flashes across the entire strip from left to right or right to left. Looking at the instructions of the array once sold by new rage cycles (see below) it came with a sequential module. I'm assuming this module supplies a constant power from the signal flashing power. I'm assuming that to fix my problem, I need this module. Can anyone help me buy this module or tell me how to defeat the flasher for the rears only ?

btw ... I thought about disabling the flasher relay, but then my front signals won't work properly and flash.

(install instructions - https://www.newragecycles.com/v/vspf...%20Signals.pdf)
    Last edited by asillito; 05-05-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

It has a module with it by the looks. Do you have LED signals already? If not you'd need a blinker genie or a new LED flasher relay so it won't flash fast. Are the wires on this knock off the same colors as the newrage one?

I have the Revo cowl and it's plug and play. I have the Flatz on the front and that used a blinker genie and won't work unless wired properly. I'd say you need the blinker genie to make it work
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-05-2019 at 03:45 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    It has a module with it by the looks. Do you have LED signals already? If not you'd need a blinker genie or a new LED flasher relay so it won't flash fast. Are the wires on this knock off the same colors as the newrage one?

I have the Revo cowl and it's plug and play. I have the Flatz on the front and that used a blinker genie and won't work unless wired properly. I'd say you need the blinker genie to make it work
    It is obvious that you don't really understand my issue. You are assuming that the issue is just the typical switch from incandescent bulb to LED and switching the flasher relay. I've been running LEDs for many years and swapped out the relay when I installed the LEDs. My issue is that rear turn LED strip requires constant 12v to perform the sequential function. Unfortunately the existing leads for the turn signals do not output a constant 12v, but a pulsing 12v to make the LEDs flash. This pulsing 12v is causing my sequential strip not to work properly. I'm looking for a solution or a relay that produce a constant 12v once activated by the pulsing 12v of the turn signal connect.

Look at the pictures of my bike and you'll see the rear LED turn signal strip. This strip, the left side stopped working and I am looking for a replacement strip.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

To "Rube Goldberg" something that will make what you are asking for work, you would need to buy (or build) a timer relay with a one shot coil.

And if I am understanding you correctly that this piece you have acts as both left and right turn signals.....then you would actually need 2 of these.

I attached an example below.

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/9639a...b198b47d42.pdf

BCS

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

This might help.. if you feel comfortable in throwing a few electronic parts together..

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram22.html

I had the same problem with sequential front signals. Very simple non-Goldberg solution is to just put a capacitor and a diode across your signal leads. I believe i used 470uF but this would depend entirely on the draw from your signals.

Very simple solution - capacitor charges up on the ON pulse discharges on the OFF pulse to keep the sequential cycling. The only consequence is once you cancel your signal, there may be a slight delay before the cap discharges again and shuts off.

Working great for 2 seasons so far. You will need one cap+diode for each signal. This is *not* a 2-wire/3-wire problem. This is a pulsing-when-it-shouldnt problem.

Coincidentally the relay solution above does the exact same thing but powers a relay intermediary instead of your LEDs directly. In my case the draw from the signal was small enough the cap could do it directly without the need for the relay however the relay will work more reliably for "any" rated draw.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 05-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks for the above links and ideas ... you got my issue. Problem is that is would cost more to use the relay than getting new LED strip to replace what I have currently on the bike. At this point, I guess I'll do without the sequential and go with the boring flashing. BUT ... I will keep this info in my back pocket for those days when I really want to be creative.

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    Thanks for the above links and ideas ... you got my issue. Problem is that is would cost more to use the relay than getting new LED strip to replace what I have currently on the bike. At this point, I guess I'll do without the sequential and go with the boring flashing. BUT ... I will keep this info in my back pocket for those days when I really want to be creative.
    Good plan.
    To be completely honest... the sequential is fun, but in my case it is segmented - 10 leds, 2 flash at a time in sequence - not very visible.
    All On, All Off looks less cool... but probably more visible anyway.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Good plan.
    To be completely honest... the sequential is fun, but in my case it is segmented - 10 leds, 2 flash at a time in sequence - not very visible.
    All On, All Off looks less cool... but probably more visible anyway.
    Enjoy.
    The sequential strip I have, the LEDs are not segmented. Each separate LED lights up creating a sweeping motion to either left or right. I'm disappointed that I'm not using them. I will continue to look at different ways to use this strip in the future. I ordered a custom strip, to replace what I had, from Radiantz