Average cost of a 4k mile service

Thread: Average cost of a 4k mile service

Default Average cost of a 4k mile service

Hi there,

I'm a first time poster on the forum so first off, nice to meet you all! Glad there is an M109r forum.

I have a 4k Mile service coming up and I'm more wondering what the general cost to do that, I was quoted 250 + parts (45-75) so a total of 300-325, I am wondering if that is too much

Sincerely,
    Krobon

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Krobon View Post
    Hi there,

I'm a first time poster on the forum so first off, nice to meet you all! Glad there is an M109r forum.

I have a 4k Mile service coming up and I'm more wondering what the general cost to do that, I was quoted 250 + parts (45-75) so a total of 300-325, I am wondering if that is too much

Sincerely,
    Krobon
    Save yourself some money and just change your oil/filter and your rear diff oil. They will not be doing much more than that anyways. I am sure there will be nothing wrong with bike also. That is at most and hour to do all that. That dealer is just taking your money.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the newish bike. 4K miles is nothing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

What do you need done? I'm on the south side of Atlanta near the motor speedway. I can come up and help you with whatever issues or questions you may have. Do not take it to a dealer.

-Josh

Mines an 06 and has only been to the dealer once and that was for a fuel rail recall a few years back. Avoid the dealer if you can. It's a waste of money. I take mine to a local independant bike shop when I need tires replaced other than that I can handle the rest.

Enjoy The Ride

First off, thank you for the replies

Yeah I figured that one was a little expensive, local bike shop said they'd do it for a little over a 100, I would do it myself but I moved to the USA in 2017 and I haven't had a chance to invest in tools yet though I had them all back in the Netherlands.

I personally live in Woodstock, so a little north west of Atlanta, along 575.

What kind of oil is best for an M109r, I've been told synthetic before and which oil filters work best, it's my first time owning an M109R (Which I love btw, this bike is wicked ) Any advice would be appreciated.

This is my bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190419-204022.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	383490
    Last edited by Krobon; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM.

First and foremost, welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on becoming an M109R owner.

The guys that informed you to stay away from the dealerships for any/all of your M109R services and repairs (with the exception of recalls) are 100% correct. Most of the dealership mechanics know very little about the M109R, while the dealership will gouge your pockets and provide you with less than stellar service.

As as for the best oil and oil filter to use...you will get a million different responses on this. I’m a huge proponent of the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w/40, 15w/40, or 20w/50 oil (based on personal preference and general climate temperature), and I was recently schooled on this forum that one of the best “dollar-for-dollar” oil filters for the M109R is the “WIX 51539” Oil Filter, which you can purchase at any O’Reilly’s Auto Parts store at a very reasonable cost.

I run Valvoline 20w50. 10w40 gets the left air breather oil puke for me.

Let me know if you went my help. I'm off Fridays and weekends.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I run Valvoline 20w50. 10w40 gets the left air breather oil puke for me.

Let me know if you went my help. I'm off Fridays and weekends.

-Josh
    I will definitely take you up on that offer sometime and heck I don't know if people here ride together too but I'd love to ride with other M109r owners, I want to learn how to do most of the maintenance myself and I know in the future I'd like to replace the stock exhaust and such as well. I will make sure to get 20w50, just one more question though, how long do you usually go between oil changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Krobon View Post
    I will definitely take you up on that offer sometime and heck I don't know if people here ride together too but I'd love to ride with other M109r owners, I want to learn how to do most of the maintenance myself and I know in the future I'd like to replace the stock exhaust and such as well. I will make sure to get 20w50, just one more question though, how long do you usually go between oil changes?
    I change my oil every 3500 miles. On the speedometer, you have two trip meters. I use trip A for fuel mileage and trip B for oil change intervals. That way, i don't have to write down when I changed my oil and then try to remember where I wrote it down.

-Josh

I think a good mileage interval to complete oil changes is around every 5,000 miles after you’ve completed the break-in and warranty service requirements for the 9. As well, unless an enormous amount of miles are put on the bike in one riding season, many owners change their oil and oil filters twice per year...once around early spring, just before the riding season begins for most people, and again around July (depending on how much they’ve ridden up to that point. I also know of several 9 owners who only change their oil and filter once per year, and not one of them have had any issues with their bikes, as a result.

Default ***Do it yourself....

Welcome....

I purchased my '07 M109r used with 5k on it. I now have over 25k, and it has never see a shop except for tires. Now that the shop is gone, I guess I am doing my own tires next time.

I'm with the others..... Do it yourself.
    Oil and filter
    Diff Oil
    Air filters
    Remember the Antifreeze (Use the 5 year stuff and you can do it less...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My M109r v2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	383510