Front tire 20K mileage

Thread: Front tire 20K mileage

Default Front tire 20K mileage

Looking at my Metz 880 160/60 front tire yesterday, I notice the tread is worn down but its not bald. Probably can easily get another 1000 miles out of it. This is the original tire that came with my Coastal Moto wheel purchase in 2012. I have gotten about 20,000 miles so far on this front tire while during this same time I'm on my 3rd rear tire. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your front tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Never wore out a front tire before, always replace due to age not wear. (Rear tire is just the opposite)

5 years is the max I will run a front tire, even if it only has 5000 miles on it I still change it.

Working offshore my bike does not get huge miles put on it each year so front tires look good for many years.

But its just not worth pushing your luck with an old front tire for the sake of a few hundred dollars. (IMO)

BCS

2 rear t 1 front has been bout the norm for me..the Metz can go from looking like a 1000 miles left to cords in a hearbeat..

i say change it also,it done you good
    Last edited by Stavros; 04-29-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Stav

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    2 front to one rear has been bout the norm for me..the Metz can go from looking like a 1000 miles left to cords in a hearbeat..

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you really mean "2 rears to one front".......right?

I am purchasing more like 5 rears to one front myself, but my rear tires have a tendency to wear a bit prematurely for some reason.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you really mean "2 rears to one front".......right?

I am purchasing more like 5 rears to one front myself, but my rear tires have a tendency to wear a bit prematurely for some reason.

BCS

Correct,need to proofread before I hit submit..havnt been on a track,prefer to ride and I have occasional clutch shudder,so I’m only hard on it it from 2nd on..gonna throw the new clutch in soon as it warms up some,could change my front rear ratios..
    Stav

When I had three Metzeler front, I'd say 14,000-15,000 miles was the average mileage. I switched too the Avon storm and I got 24,000 miles out of it because of the dual compound tread. Same performance, just better mileage.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    2 rear t 1 front has been bout the norm for me..the Metz can go from looking like a 1000 miles left to cords in a hearbeat..

Yep you're right about it could go from a lil tread to cords in a heartbeat...it happen before on my rear tire.
    Gonna replace it soon but not in a rush, been doing a lot of riding on the F6B. So far lowest price I've found for a Metz is $166 at revzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    When I had three Metzeler front, I'd say 14,000-15,000 miles was the average mileage. I switched too the Avon storm and I got 24,000 miles out of it because of the dual compound tread. Same performance, just better mileage.

-Josh
    I like having matching front and rear tires but will consider the Avon Storm. Avon must be a great tire if Mr. 98K Miles is recommending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Rock View Post
    I like having matching front and rear tires but will consider the Avon Storm. Avon must be a great tire if Mr. 98K Miles is recommending it.
    I'll swear by the Avon. Metzeler was my rear tire of choice, but I switched to Avon cobras when they got sidewall cracks and wouldn't do anything as far as warranty or replacement. I understand they're phasing out the ME880 and going to the ME888, but they didn't seem interested in any kind of customer support on the matter.

When I wear the Avon cobra out, I'll try the new ME888.

-Josh

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I ran 160 Metzeler for 16K kms so about 10k miles. Still had lots of tread but it was cupping and I changed to a 21" front wheel anyway. Changed over to Avon Cobra Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I ran 160 Metzeler for 16K kms so about 10k miles. Still had lots of tread but it was cupping and I changed to a 21" front wheel anyway. Changed over to Avon Cobra Chrome
    I was considering going to a 23 about a year ago but didn't want to spend the money for the wheel and triple tree. Your 9 looks nice with the 21. I may consider going with a 21 and keeping stock trees.