Is my Cobra working?

Thread: Is my Cobra working?

Default Is my Cobra working?

Hey guys.

I have a 2014 M109R BOSS. It came with the Freedom Combat 2 into 1 exhaust, ebay spike air intakes and a Cobra fuel management device. Some weeks ago I pulled off the front seat and noticed that the blue light on the Cobra is not lit. I also saw that the thin black cable was not connected so I connected it to the negative terminal on the battery. It is a very flimsy cable onlyy about a millimetre thick (thin). Still no light.

I had seen the blue light on once in the past when I was with the original owner.

My question is how to identify whether the Cobra is working or not. Secondly, if it is not working, is the bike being damaged by running lean? I ride to work every day. I have noticed some backfires, which mostly happen when I go off and then on with the throttle, or when I shift up and then go off the throttle. But it doesn't happen every time.

When I have the money I may consider an ECU flash, but have to ride it as is currently.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Do you know if the PAIR system was blocked off when the Freedom exhaust was installed?
    From what I've read you can get popping through the exhaust on deceleration when you have an aftermarket exhaust and the PAIR system is not blocked off.

I don't have a Cobra fuel management, so can't be much help there.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldi View Post
    Hey guys.

I have a 2014 M109R BOSS. It came with the Freedom Combat 2 into 1 exhaust, ebay spike air intakes and a Cobra fuel management device. Some weeks ago I pulled off the front seat and noticed that the blue light on the Cobra is not lit. I also saw that the thin black cable was not connected so I connected it to the negative terminal on the battery. It is a very flimsy cable onlyy about a millimetre thick (thin). Still no light.

I had seen the blue light on once in the past when I was with the original owner.

My question is how to identify whether the Cobra is working or not. Secondly, if it is not working, is the bike being damaged by running lean? I ride to work every day. I have noticed some backfires, which mostly happen when I go off and then on with the throttle, or when I shift up and then go off the throttle. But it doesn't happen every time.

When I have the money I may consider an ECU flash, but have to ride it as is currently.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Baldi, I suggest you call Cobra directly and pose your question to one of their qualified technicians to get an accurate answer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Baldi, I suggest you call Cobra directly and pose your question to one of their qualified technicians to get an accurate answer.
    Would be an expensive call, I live in Pakistan :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasnuke View Post
    Do you know if the PAIR system was blocked off when the Freedom exhaust was installed?
    From what I've read you can get popping through the exhaust on deceleration when you have an aftermarket exhaust and the PAIR system is not blocked off.

I don't have a Cobra fuel management, so can't be much help there.
    Thanks. I don't know if that mod was done. Will try to read up on how to check.

Is there any harm to an engine running lean?

Very Active Member

Had the same scenario with my Gman EFI. I noticed that the bike was running wierd, was very poppy, wonky idle, etc...took my seat off and notice the lights were off on the EFI controller. I tried to reconnect it, nothing. I ended sending it back and GMan confirmed it was defective, got a new one and been fine ever since. Never found out why it broke though. Just one of those random things I guess.
    You can run it lean, but id be hesitant to really push it in that condition.

Default Cobra Black.

Not sure what Cobra you have but, I can pair my cobra to my phone and make adjustments.The small black wire is a ground wire and I had my wire pull out of the black box.You can take the plastic box apart (carefully)and make sure it is still connected to the circuit board.If the light is not on I would think that is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldi View Post
    Would be an expensive call, I live in Pakistan :)
    Of you go to the Cobra website, you should be able to pose your question(s) to a Cobra technician via email.