First Oil Change Oil Puke

Thread: First Oil Change Oil Puke

Default First Oil Change Oil Puke

Hey guys. Been riding my 07 109R for a while now but never did my own oil changes. Well, I did it and being mechanically inclined I dove right in without reading. Anywho, you can guess what happen. I missed a drain plug and didnt check the oil properly. About 100 miles into the oil change she let out a huge puff off grey smoke that lasted a few seconds and started spitting oil at least half a quart if not more out of the left intake. It ran fine after this(far as I can tell) and got it home and started pulling stuff apart. You know what I found and Im busy getting oil off the intake parts and now buying new K&N filters as I cant find anything else anywhere. But, what I am curious about is the intake boot coming from under the tank is very loose as In I doubt its still attached to the intake manifold or whatever it attaches to under there but it also wont come out. Is this normal and do I need to remove the tank now to get this intake tube fastened back down?

Also what filter options do I have and where do I buy them? I already found the K&N's on Amazon for $89 but thought that was a lot for a bike filter and Im hoping to return them once they get here tomorrow if I hear some other options from you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rrainey86 View Post
    Hey guys. Been riding my 07 109R for a while now but never did my own oil changes. Well, I did it and being mechanically inclined I dove right in without reading. Anywho, you can guess what happen. I missed a drain plug and didnt check the oil properly. About 100 miles into the oil change she let out a huge puff off grey smoke that lasted a few seconds and started spitting oil at least half a quart if not more out of the left intake. It ran fine after this(far as I can tell) and got it home and started pulling stuff apart. You know what I found and Im busy getting oil off the intake parts and now buying new K&N filters as I cant find anything else anywhere. But, what I am curious about is the intake boot coming from under the tank is very loose as In I doubt its still attached to the intake manifold or whatever it attaches to under there but it also wont come out. Is this normal and do I need to remove the tank now to get this intake tube fastened back down?

Also what filter options do I have and where do I buy them? I already found the K&N's on Amazon for $89 but thought that was a lot for a bike filter and Im hoping to return them once they get here tomorrow if I hear some other options from you guys.

Unless you can find a used stock set keep the K&N and use them. They are at least reusable if you ever have another puke issue. The stock elements are $47 a side and not reusable.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-07.html

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Sweet diagram. It brought up a question though. I couldnt see where the oil is rerouted to the intake via any bypass valve or anything. Maybe Im missing something but how does the oil get back up to the intake?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Also can anyone confirm if the tank needs to be removed to get that intake back on? It got late yesterday so I turned in for the night and I'll take a look at it when I get back to the house. Just trying to advise from the more experienced.

Very Active Member

Also can anyone confirm if the tank needs to be removed to get that intake back on? It got late yesterday so I turned in for the night and I'll take a look at it when I get back to the house. Just trying to advise from the more experienced.
    Your talking about the boot that connects to the airbox? Then yes. You will have to at minimum, have someone hold your gas tank up and out of the way.
    Just take the tank off, take off your seat, unscrew the bolt on tank, unplug the speedo harness, fuel line and smaller connection near fuel line. You will get a little bit of gas drip from whatever was in the fuel line. But it's not alot, just have a towel under there. It's simple.
    The hose will not just fall out even if it is disconnected. Probably popped off the airbox
    Last edited by Psycho1000R; 04-24-2019 at 05:40 PM.

With the age of your bike you may want to pull the tubes off and look for splits.

I can explain how the oil gets into the left air filter. When you overfill your bike and then ride it it pushes the oil up past the rings and into the main airbox under the tank. It comes out the left side because where the left air filter assy attaches to the airbox you will see a small tube that goes into the air filter assy. And oil drains into the left filter from that tube. When you pull the air filter assy you will see the larger snorkel looking tube and a smaller tube that is at the lowest point in the air box.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hi All. Got it done. All good and that sucks about the blow by. I was hoping for some sort of vent. That much oil blowing by the rings make me nervous about any adverse affects that will have. If its blowing up through the CC should I be looking at fowled plugs as well?

Also when checking the oil level I found the process convoluted. Suzuki has to have this worked out in newer bikes. After I got it buttoned back up I did the 15/3 method. Ran it for 15 and let it sit for 3. The oil level ran way past the full mark. So I pulled the left drain plug and let it drain out. I stood the bike up straight and checked it again and the level was still a good ways past the full mark. I refused to drain anymore oil out and run the bike. I went for a ride and no drip at all. I left the tube off the intake so it would drip directly out. I parked the bike for maybe an hour and then checked the oil again and it registered low as I thought it should have after letting the left drain plug completely drain. But, the 15/3 method would say its overfilled.......any clues here? Im pretty sure Im running the bike with low oil.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I can explain how the oil gets into the left air filter. When you overfill your bike and then ride it it pushes the oil up past the rings and into the main airbox under the tank. It comes out the left side because where the left air filter assy attaches to the airbox you will see a small tube that goes into the air filter assy. And oil drains into the left filter from that tube. When you pull the air filter assy you will see the larger snorkel looking tube and a smaller tube that is at the lowest point in the air box.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Small revision to the above statement. (Dreamer may have just mis-worded the part about oil pushing past the rings)

Pretty sure the only way oil could get into your air box via the top of your piston (past your rings) is if you have intake valve problems.

The intake valve is only open on down stroke which is pulling air in (Not pushing anything out)

If your valves are seating properly any oil that would get past your rings would be burned on the power stroke or expelled from the cylinder out the exhaust exhaust valve (into the exhaust) on the exhaust stroke.

It is my understanding that when the oil is over filled it gets siphoned up through the crank case breather hose into the air box.

If you notice in the attached drawing you will see there is a another smaller tube that connects from the lowest point in the air box to the left intake......oil is going to drain to the lowest point, so it ends up in the left air intake assembly.

I am an electrician / automation tech by trade and not a motorcycle mechanic, so maybe Matt or Harris can expand on this explanation a bit further in more detail.

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crank Case Breather.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	383460  
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 04-29-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Hi All. Got it done. All good and that sucks about the blow by. I was hoping for some sort of vent. That much oil blowing by the rings make me nervous about any adverse affects that will have. If its blowing up through the CC should I be looking at fowled plugs as well?

Also when checking the oil level I found the process convoluted. Suzuki has to have this worked out in newer bikes. After I got it buttoned back up I did the 15/3 method. Ran it for 15 and let it sit for 3. The oil level ran way past the full mark. So I pulled the left drain plug and let it drain out. I stood the bike up straight and checked it again and the level was still a good ways past the full mark. I refused to drain anymore oil out and run the bike. I went for a ride and no drip at all. I left the tube off the intake so it would drip directly out. I parked the bike for maybe an hour and then checked the oil again and it registered low as I thought it should have after letting the left drain plug completely drain. But, the 15/3 method would say its overfilled.......any clues here? Im pretty sure Im running the bike with low oil.
    Bike has a forward and rear sump....not left and right.

(I may get this backwards but will give a shot at trying to explain it.....again Matt, Harris or anyone else who eats and sleeps these bikes can jump in and correct me if I get this wrong)

When you add oil to the bike you are filling the front sump.

When you are checking the oil on the bike you are measuring the level of the front sump.

The only way oil gets to the rear sump is when the bike is running oil gets deposited into rear sump.

So when you change your oil it is best to drain both sumps then add 3 - 3.25 quarts, then start the bike and go through your 15 - 3 procedure if you are following the manual.

Then check your oil and slowly add a bit more.

What you describe above sounds like once you found the level high you drained oil from the rear sump. Since the dipstick is measuring level in the fwd sump it did not register a change in level until you started the bike again and some of the oil from the fwd sump got transferred to the rear sump. Once this happened you then registered low level on your dipstick. (Which is sampling the fwd sump)

Best to measure and add oil to the 9 slowly, start the bike and let the oil circulate and settle before checking and measuring again.

Just my opinion and observations, others may do it differently and honestly each bike seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to puking.......my 2007 puked like crazy if you did not check and add oil the way I describe above, but my 2008 has yet to puke on me. (Maybe because I am still in the habit of checking and changing the oil like described above I suppose.)

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Small revision to the above statement. (Dreamer may have just mis-worded the part about oil pushing past the rings)

Pretty sure the only way oil could get into your air box via the top of your piston (past your rings) is if you have intake valve problems.

The intake valve is only open on down stroke which is pulling air in (Not pushing anything out)

If your valves are seating properly any oil that would get past your rings would be burned on the power stroke or expelled from the cylinder out the exhaust exhaust valve (into the exhaust) on the exhaust stroke.

It is my understanding that when the oil is over filled it gets siphoned up through the crank case breather hose into the air box.

If you notice in the attached drawing you will see there is a another smaller tube that connects from the lowest point in the air box to the left intake......oil is going to drain to the lowest point, so it ends up in the left air intake assembly.

I am an electrician / automation tech by trade and not a motorcycle mechanic, so maybe Matt or Harris can expand on this explanation a bit further in more detail.

BCS
    Correct. Meant to say from the high crankcase pressuer it pushes the oil up the hose into the main air box and then drains down the small tube to the left airfilter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk