2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109 with 60000 kms that stalls going into 1st gear?

Thread: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109 with 60000 kms that stalls going into 1st gear?

Question 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109 with 60000 kms that stalls going into 1st gear?

2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109 with 60000 kms that stalls going into 1st gear . I tightened the clutch cable at the leaver as tight as it will go. I removed the kickstand pin/switch and followed the wire up to the green clip and removed it to jump the two pins together (1st I tried with nice connectors then I just exposed a lot of wire to ensure the connection was made at both ends) to loop the wire but the bike still will not go into first gear without jumping forward and stalling. For the three years I have owned the bike if I tried to go into 1st very quickly it would rev high and jump into gear and continue running. All I had to do was let it warm up for even 30 seconds. This new problem started after I removed the bike from storage for the winter and even if I rev the engine and slam it into 1st gear the bike still stalls but I do get a few rear tire revaluations on grass only. From what I can read the tubular nut is the next thing to trouble shoot. From what I can see online itís a job that requires Rt side faring, exhaust and clutch removal and a special tool to unlock the Tub Nut itself. Also it appears this is the best time to replace the clutch plates and will need new cover seal. This is something I canít do right now therefore Iím asking if there is anything else I should trouble shoot before I pay a lot of cash having this done? Any ideas? Any suggestions on considering or doing at the same time?

Thanks in advance to you all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

More than likely your tube nut has come loose.

You will need to remove your exhaust, clutch cover, clutch stack and clutch basket to check and repair this problem.

Where are you located?

Might be someone from this forum near you who can do this cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 04-14-2019 at 12:54 AM.

^^^^^^^

I agree this is your problem happened to my buddies 9 same exact thing you described
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    More than likely your tube nut has come loose.

You will need to remove your exhaust, clutch cover, clutch stack and clutch basket to check and repair this problem.

Where are you located?

Might be someone from this forum near you who can do this cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

BCS
    Good evening I'm in Belleville ON so 2 hrs East of Toronto as I'm military as that is where they have me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by fitmindandbody View Post
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109 with 60000 kms that stalls going into 1st gear . I tightened the clutch cable at the leaver as tight as it will go. I removed the kickstand pin/switch and followed the wire up to the green clip and removed it to jump the two pins together (1st I tried with nice connectors then I just exposed a lot of wire to ensure the connection was made at both ends) to loop the wire but the bike still will not go into first gear without jumping forward and stalling. For the three years I have owned the bike if I tried to go into 1st very quickly it would rev high and jump into gear and continue running. All I had to do was let it warm up for even 30 seconds. This new problem started after I removed the bike from storage for the winter and even if I rev the engine and slam it into 1st gear the bike still stalls but I do get a few rear tire revaluations on grass only. From what I can read the tubular nut is the next thing to trouble shoot. From what I can see online itís a job that requires Rt side faring, exhaust and clutch removal and a special tool to unlock the Tub Nut itself. Also it appears this is the best time to replace the clutch plates and will need new cover seal. This is something I canít do right now therefore Iím asking if there is anything else I should trouble shoot before I pay a lot of cash having this done? Any ideas? Any suggestions on considering or doing at the same time?

Thanks in advance to you all!
    I had this happen to me in rush hour stop and go traffic on an Interstate on my way home from work. $490 tow job home and about 15 bucks fixed the problem. It's not too complicated. Yes the exhaust has to come off and the clutch cover, clutch disc's and all hardware, springs etc. Then you get to the clutch tub. There is a nut Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Nut.JPG†
Views:	10†
Size:	17.1 KB†
ID:	383270that needs a special spanner wrench to tighten it up. Suzuki doesn't sell one and I believe Honda does but it's for the wheels or forks or something. What I did was go to my local parts store and bought a spindle nut wrench for $14 bucksClick image for larger version.†

Name:	AC677.JPG†
Views:	14†
Size:	27.8 KB†
ID:	383272Now this won't work as it is, you will have to modify it. You have to grind of 2 of the teeth so what you have left is 2 teeth 180 degrees apart. then you have to back cut the teeth a bit so they will fit into the nut properly. Then you take the clutch tub off the bike, undo the nut so you can pull the primary gear from the tub, clean the threads REAL GOOD! make sure there's no oil on them. Get yourself some RED Locktite, put the gear in a vice between a couple of 2x4's and tighten to make sure the gear won't move. Then place the tub back onto the gear put some RED locktite on the threads of the gear, Wind the tub nut onto the gear and with this handy dandy spanner wrench you made. Tighten the nut to 110 Ft Lbs total, alternating the grooves in the nut as you tighten. Just work your way up a little at a time and alternate the grooves because you've only got 2 teeth and there are 6 on the nut. Then put your clutch disks, springs and hardware back together put the cover on, the exhaust and you're done. It only took me a couple of hours from start to finish and I didn't know what I was doing.

Sure hope this helps!