M109 Rider Forums banner

Anyone try the Avon Cobra Chrome tires yet?

8K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  FlyingCircus 
#1 ·
I've seen a few threads talking about their availability, but not that anyone has tried them yet.

I had run the Pirelli Night Dragons on my previous 109 and was really happy with them. I am considering the Cobras because I'd like to go with the 260 to get a little more height in the rear. Looks like the tire will provide better dry straight line traction due to less grooves in the center of the tire than the previous Cobra tire. I'm interested to see what the opinions are on corner grip, as the Cobra Chrome looks very similar to the Cobra with regard to the grooves at the edge of the tire. Is it better, worse, or unchanged from the previous Cobra tire?

With all the good reviews on the previous Cobra tires, I was pretty much set to try them when I change tires. Now with the tread pattern/design being a little different on the Cobra Chrome, I am back on the fence. My main concern is having a sticky tire, not longevity.

#6 ·
160/250 Avon CC's here (not a fan of the 260/40 geometry vs. stock) but only been on it for about 5mins to drive it home from the shop! Its been snowing or cold or raining (AND cold) just about every day since... and now my extended forecast shows rain basically every day for 10 days. Gah.

So... I'm wearing them... but still have no idea what they're like yet! Ha.

#23 ·
I'm glad this popped up again because I wanted to mention - my 250 Cobra Chrome... well... not as impressed as I had expected.

This is my first new rear since stock, so I'm not 100% certain if it is my increased assertiveness now that I am more comfortable with the bike or the compound of the tires which is my concern. I have noticed that the rear will break away *far more* often than I ever recall with the stock Dunlops until they went bald, after which they were sliding all over the place.

My only observation this season on the Chrome is that I seem to be able to break it off the line very easily now, and I have had it let go in 2nd under torque a few times. No biggie, easily controlled... but I just don't recall that with the stockers and again - caveat: I may be riding harder now than I was before, so it isn't a very scientific comparison.

Unfortunately because of that however, I have not even attempted to press them in the rain as yet.

#26 ·
How easy it leans is one of those things that varies from person-to-person. I have a 280 on a 10 inch rim in the back, 140 on a 4.25 rim up front. I don't feel it's hard to lean over at all. But, compared to my B-King, it's a tank. A two-wheeled semi truck. :D

#30 ·
Unless you have a aftermarket 10 inch rear rim you're not doing yourself any favor by going to a 280 tire.
The tire is too wide for the 8.5 inch rear rim......"Can" you make it fit?.....sure.
"Should" you try to make it fit?.....in my opinion that would be a hard NO.
If you have an aftermarket 10 inch rear rim then go for it, that will give you the widest tire you can put on the bike without the expense of changing the swingarm.

But if you still have the stock rear rim on your bike just go with the 260 if you want a wider tire than stock.
The 260 on the stock rim is going to look just as wide as the 280 if you tried to force it on the rim and the 260 is going to be half the price.

BCS

#34 ·
I have Cobra Chrome front and back. Always used Metzler before and changed rear tire every year. My Avon is 1.5 seasons in and probably have enough tread for most if not all of next season. The reason? It has more grip than the Metzler. With the Metzler I would lay a good 60 ft of rubber behind me just by hammering on it and would break loose going into second hard. The Avon, I have to really intend to make it spin and it will actually wheel hop a bit where as the Metzler not once wheel hopped because it just let loose. Front is wearing great after 2 seasons and won't be changing it next season due to wear. I'm going to be "sticking" with Avon.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I have Cobra Chrome front and back. Always used Metzler before and changed rear tire every year. My Avon is 1.5 seasons in and probably have enough tread for most if not all of next season. The reason? It has more grip than the Metzler. With the Metzler I would lay a good 60 ft of rubber behind me just by hammering on it and would break loose going into second hard. The Avon, I have to really intend to make it spin and it will actually wheel hop a bit where as the Metzler not once wheel hopped because it just let loose. Front is wearing great after 2 seasons and won't be changing it next season due to wear. I'm going to be "sticking" with Avon.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk
What AVON are you using on the back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.