Murphy's at work again.

Thread: Murphy's at work again.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Default Murphy's at work again.

A friend and I are heading out in the morning to ride to Boca Raton to visit V-Mike.

So this morning I put the saddle bags back on the bike and drained the oil to do an oil change.

Took out the old filter and installed a new one.

Finger tightened the drain plugs, then got my torque wrench and tightened the front one to 10 ft #.....then 13 ft # then 16.5 ft # (I always step up like that when I am torquing something just for that extra piece of mind and to insure nothing gets stripped out)

Everything was looking good just one more drain plug to torque, add the new oil and all done right.......NOT

Set the torque wrench back to 10 FT # and the rear drain plug just spins and never gets tight.

I thought something was fishy when the 2 drain plugs were different size heads.

This is the first time I have changed oil since I bought the bike. The guy I bought the bike from said he had just recently changed the oil and it looked honey clear when I bought it. I have put 1500 miles on the bike since I bought it and figured it was time to change the oil before going this long(er) rider.

Dammit......its aways something........guys please use a torque wrench when putting your oil drain plugs back in......what a PITA to have to change the drain pan and all because the plugs were overtightened and stripped out the aluminum drain pan.

Well I know what I am doing today in order to be ready to ride in the morning.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 03-29-2019 at 12:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That’s very unfortunate that happened to you or anyone for that matter. I never use a torque wrench. I just tighten them up nice and snug and all is good. Had this bike since 11 and I’ve done it the same way all the time. Are you going to drill and tap it? I also change out the washer every other oil change as well. Good luck and keep us informed on your small adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Been there done that. Had to drop the pan and put in a helicoil - PITA! I've since learned you can purchase an oversized drain plug that you can thread right into the existing hole.

Ever since I don't torque the drain plugs. Just snug them up, check for leaks a little later, snug some more if need be.
    2009 M109R LE
    2015 Boss tins, Custom speedo and tach faces and LEDs. ISO Grips. Brake Away Cruise control. Cobra Swepts. Debeavered, Fi200R Fuel management, polished risers and trees, SS Brake lines, ATRE, Custom forward controls. HID kit. Ultimate seat and backrest. Dunlop E3s, 250 rear, Plastidipped rims, cobra solo rack

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    That’s very unfortunate that happened to you or anyone for that matter. I never use a torque wrench. I just tighten them up nice and snug and all is good. Had this bike since 11 and I’ve done it the same way all the time. Are you going to drill and tap it? I also change out the washer every other oil change as well. Good luck and keep us informed on your small adventure.

Headed out to see if anyone has a repair plug that will fit it now.

If not I have a spare engine that I can steal the oil pan off of.......not what I wanted to do today..... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Just glad the darn thing did not work its way loose and fall out while riding the bike.

When you buy a used vehicle you have to expect there will be things like this to deal with I guess.

Using a torque wrench sure does take all the guess work out of the equation, and this would have never happened had one been used.

BCS

Definitely good to have a spare engine lying around and yes, thank God this didn’t happen while riding the bike. Be safe bro.

I never use a torque wrench on oil drain plugs, I always hand tighten. It's very easy to over torque the drain plug with oil on the threads.

I've never used a torque wrench either. Just tighten them good and tight and roll on. Even still have the 13 year old factory crush washers on it, never even showed signs of seeping out of them.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Well no one had a 14mm x 1.25 over size drain plug.

So a 14mm x 1.5 over size plug had to do for now.......its not ideal but it will work for the short term till I change the drain pan.

As far as the torque wrench debate goes......I am sure a lot of guys do a lot of things, a lot of different ways, for a lot of different reasons.

Would bet some guys just take spark plugs out of the package and install them without gapping them also.....but I am going to do that.

Personally I like knowing and not guessing if at all possible about most things in life.

I also prefer to stay up on my maintenance and change things like spark plugs, coolant hoses, gear oil and such in a timely manor instead of waiting until they fail before addressing them......guess I am just odd that way.

BCS

Very Active Member

Sorry about your drain plug problem. I have been changing oil on motorcycles since 1964 and only tried to use a torque wrench once. I just didn't trust it, so I loosened the plug and retightened it with a 3/8 ratchet. I also check the gap on new spark plugs.

Originally Posted by swatcop
    I have been changing my own oil ever since I bought my bike because I don't trust the dealer to do it the right way. I just changed my oil last week. When I removed both drain plugs, they were both tight but when I put them back in, the rear plug acted like it was stripped out. It would not tighten down. When I pulled the drain plugs out, there was not any metal particles on the magnets. I did put new crush washers on and it is not cross threaded.

Any ideas on what could have happened or what the fix would be?

The oil pan is cast from some pretty cheap crap material. Depending on the level of inherent flaws when it was cast, the threads can come out without you having done anything wrong. It's not a pure piece of billet.

If you go to NAPA and get the second oversize 1/2" drain plug (that's the only local place that keeps that particular one), you can cut new threads into the existing hole without having to install a helicoil. The thread pitch is virtually identical to the stock metric thread and the plug is enough oversize that it will get past the stripped threads.

A old thread from Trod. You did nothing wrong.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

F ing Murphy. He's my Siamese twin. I don't allow guys that work for me to use the E word as that's just calling Murphy to come F with you

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post

Originally Posted by swatcop
    I have been changing my own oil ever since I bought my bike because I don't trust the dealer to do it the right way. I just changed my oil last week. When I removed both drain plugs, they were both tight but when I put them back in, the rear plug acted like it was stripped out. It would not tighten down. When I pulled the drain plugs out, there was not any metal particles on the magnets. I did put new crush washers on and it is not cross threaded.

Any ideas on what could have happened or what the fix would be?

The oil pan is cast from some pretty cheap crap material. Depending on the level of inherent flaws when it was cast, the threads can come out without you having done anything wrong. It's not a pure piece of billet.

If you go to NAPA and get the second oversize 1/2" drain plug (that's the only local place that keeps that particular one), you can cut new threads into the existing hole without having to install a helicoil. The thread pitch is virtually identical to the stock metric thread and the plug is enough oversize that it will get past the stripped threads.

A old thread from Trod. You did nothing wrong.
    Oh I know it was not me that stripped it, was first time I touched it and it was already stripped, it did not even try to tighten up.....just threaded all the way up and spins.

There was a small amount of metal on the magnet of the plug (but no surprise there with the way I ride) and there was also large slivers of metal that came out of the threads in the pan,,,,,so it was stripped for sure.

The 1/2 x 20 plug threads are pretty close to the 14mm x 1.25.......but the 1/2 standard plug is just a bit smaller and they did not have a oversized 1/2 x 20 even at Napa in my town.It is likely if they had a 1/2 x 20 oversized plug it would have worked just fine, as it says in the post you referenced.
    (We looked it up at Napa they did not even list a 14mm x 1.25 oversized drain plug.....of course....that is the one I need)

I just said hell with it and pulled a McGoo as an easy temporary fix.......The 14 x 1.5 oversized plug is not really a valid permanent fix.....but it will get me thought the weekend for sure and I feel confident enough in it to run it till the next oil change if need be.
    It cut good and is in there very tight.....its not going anywhere.

More than likely I will just change the drain pan out sometime next week though.
    Then I will drill the stripped pan out and retap it for 16mm plugs to use as a future spare pan.

BCS