Nothing Says Spring Like A New Pair Of Shoes

Thread: Nothing Says Spring Like A New Pair Of Shoes

Nothing says Spring like a new pair of shoes!

Avon Cobra Chrome 250
    Avon Spirit ST 160.

Door to door in 48hrs from Petes (Canadian!) Superbike.
    https://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php

Let the Good Times Roll!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190322_131453_1553275190859.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	382656  
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 03-22-2019 at 02:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Nice. I got a Cobra Chrome on my new 21" wheel. Wanted the 260 matching for the rear but Pete's said they wouldn't be available until May sometime. I can't wait so got the new Metzeler 888 260. Will have to wait for the Cobra Chrome next year
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 03-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Went with counteract beads this year instead of RideOn

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Spring must be near,the canukleheads are getting exited,and the robins are bobbin...I need to get out and pick up a battery next week...

Petes can’t be beat !!
    Stav

Stavros. Spring fever just like every year since I was 16. Lol. Never gets old

You got that right FC...anticipation is killin me...we have a cold night ahead,just hope the night crews lay off on the salt/sand..supposed to be sunny tomorrow,would love to get out for my second ride..first was brief..
    Stav

My battery is sitting on the tender

Haven't been out yet. Been 10 plus last week and a half but tomorrow will be first day to get at my mods so another week till I'm done and ready to roll

^^^^

you have to rake the front trees for that wheel ? Did you get matching rotors ?
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Nice. I got a Cobra Chrome on my new 21" wheel. Wanted the 260 matching for the rear but Pete's said they wouldn't be available until May sometime. I can't wait so got the new Metzeler 888 260. Will have to wait for the Cobra Chrome next year
    Sweet! Was really wanting to have "matching" front and back Cobra Chrome, AND was hoping for 260 vs 250 (y not)... but! Sadly, Chrome doesn't come in 160/60 for the front anyway, so I had to go with the Spirit ST = "new" Storm 3D, and where the 250/40 and the 240/40 have very similar dimensions, the 260/40 is actually "too" different for my OCD. Although I see many use a 260/40, a 260/35 would be a bit closer, which none of our regular brands seem to sell. But even more coincidentally, the 280/35 is ALMOST identical in dimensions to the 240/40 (except width of course)! So.. technically... the 280 would be a better size for me than a 250, but I'd prefer the larger rim for it, although again... I know some happily have it on stock. (hum..cough.. cbxer.. cough)
    Aaaanyway....

Go Go Canadian Riders!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Nothing says Spring like a new pair of shoes!

Avon Cobra Chrome 250
    Avon Spirit ST 160.

Door to door in 48hrs from Petes (Canadian!) Superbike.
    https://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php

Let the Good Times Roll!

That 160 must be a front tire,is it not ?
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    That 160 must be a front tire,is it not ?
    Nope, sadly that's the other quirk - 160 is a rear.
    I confirmed with Avon directly, reverse-on-front applies, all good.

edit: You may have noticed the tread before the label - the label is upside down, they were bundled one forward one backward. Good eye!
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 03-22-2019 at 10:55 PM.

^^^^

you have to rake the front trees for that wheel ? Did you get matching rotors ?

Don't have to rake with the 21 but can and probably would handle better from what I've read. I'll go without this season and see how it feels. Rim is made for the stock rotors setup.

Nope, sadly that's the other quirk - 160 is a rear.
    I confirmed with Avon directly, reverse-on-front applies, all good.

edit: You may have noticed the tread before the label - the label is upside down, they were bundled one forward one backward. Good eye!

I've been running a 160 rear last 2 seasons because of that. Ran great and loved it

Sweet! Was really wanting to have "matching" front and back Cobra Chrome, AND was hoping for 260 vs 250 (y not)... but! Sadly, Chrome doesn't come in 160/60 for the front anyway, so I had to go with the Spirit ST = "new" Storm 3D, and where the 250/40 and the 240/40 have very similar dimensions, the 260/40 is actually "too" different for my OCD. Although I see many use a 260/40, a 260/35 would be a bit closer, which none of our regular brands seem to sell. But even more coincidentally, the 280/35 is ALMOST identical in dimensions to the 240/40 (except width of course)! So.. technically... the 280 would be a better size for me than a 250, but I'd prefer the larger rim for it, although

Go Go Canadian Riders!

So the 280/35 is a Storm 3D ? They just add this size recently ?
    Stav

Don't have to rake with the 21 but can and probably would handle better from what I've read. I'll go without this season and see how it feels. Rim is made for the stock rotors setup.

Give us some updates after you log some Kimies,curious to hear how long before it feels normal to you.
    what ya doing for a fender ?
    Stav

Give us some updates after you log some Kimies,curious to hear how long before it feels normal to you.
    what ya doing for a fender ?

I have SumoX fender extenders coming from JC at meancycles for the 21" wheel. If you look close at my avatar you'll see a black fender extender I epoxied to the bottom of my fender to keep crap hitting my Irate rad grill. I got the last Irate Grill in existence LOL

Flying circus, let me know how that me888 handles. I'm currently running an Avon cobra because of the sidewall cracking issues Metzeler has with the me880.

-Josh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170901_182731.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	382662

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    Flying circus, let me know how that me888 handles. I'm currently running an Avon cobra because of the sidewall cracking issues Metzeler has with the me880.

-Josh

I've been running the 260 880 the last 2 years and no cracking

I have lots of tread left but within the first 20 minutes of mounting it last season I got a screw in it. Road it for thousands of KMS with a plug. Wanna start the season off right

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post

-Josh

what size are you running?

what size are you running?
    250. I had a 10 inch replicator, but I went back to stock.

-Josh

Sweet! Was really wanting to have "matching" front and back Cobra Chrome, AND was hoping for 260 vs 250 (y not)... but! Sadly, Chrome doesn't come in 160/60 for the front anyway, so I had to go with the Spirit ST = "new" Storm 3D, and where the 250/40 and the 240/40 have very similar dimensions, the 260/40 is actually "too" different for my OCD. Although I see many use a 260/40, a 260/35 would be a bit closer, which none of our regular brands seem to sell. But even more coincidentally, the 280/35 is ALMOST identical in dimensions to the 240/40 (except width of course)! So.. technically... the 280 would be a better size for me than a 250, but I'd prefer the larger rim for it, although again... I know some happily have it on stock. (hum..cough.. cbxer.. cough)
    Aaaanyway....

Go Go Canadian Riders!

So the 280/35 is a Storm 3D ? They just add this size recently ?
    No, I'm sorry - my apologies, I see I was kind of rambling there with tire brands and numbers all over the place.

In case anyone else tries to read this a year from now...
    The Avon Spirit ST is the new version of the Storm 3D, and that's the 160/60/18 rear I put on the front in reverse.
    The Avon Cobra Chrome is my 250/40/18 and available soon in 260/40/18 (which I'm not comfortable with).
    The Metzler 888's are available in 280/35/18 which I would much prefer for dimensions (but bigger rim) and I see I didn't specify the brand in that convoluted ramble...my bad.

No, I'm sorry - my apologies, I see I was kind of rambling there with tire brands and numbers all over the place.

In case anyone else tries to read this a year from now...
    The Avon Spirit ST is the new version of the Storm 3D, and that's the 160/60/18 rear I put on the front in reverse.
    The Avon Cobra Chrome is my 250/40/18 and available soon in 260/40/18 (which I'm not comfortable with).
    The Metzler 888's are available in 280/35/18 which I would much prefer for dimensions (but bigger rim) and I see I didn't specify the brand in that convoluted ramble...my bad.

Good call. I wouldn't go to 280 until I get a 10" rim

Ok. First 3 minute ride from the shop to home and had to check in here to report.

1. Shop didn't want to do 160 on the front. Had to talk service manager into it. He said, "Well... I will need to call the manufacturer to confirm - ..." Me: "I already did, you want me to print their email for you?" Him: " ... you already...? Oh. Uhm... ok ya well just sign the service order then I guess. It'll be ready this afternoon." Ha. That was weird.

2. First impression: Bad. Azz. Looks super beefy in person. McLovin it. Haven't put the fender back on yet (took it off for them to avoid even more hassles) but I bought replacement stainless M6 hex cap screws and washers to lift the fender à la cbxer/Stavros style.

3. The ride. Felt different *immediately*. Turn-in was dramatic and at first surprised me how quickly she wanted to tip into a turn. Then on the way home however - *very* very tight on the steering. Strangely felt like the bars had been welded to the frame. I have a longer ride planned for next week which will allow for a better evaluation.

Pics to follow!

^^^^^

everything you describe is pretty much how I felt way back...give it a couple hundred clicks and all will feel normal..it’s just a big change off the hop...you’ll settle in fine before you know it..
    Stav

Spring must be near,the canukleheads are getting exited,and the robins are bobbin...I need to get out and pick up a battery next week...

Petes can’t be beat !!
    Hey Andy, have had great luck getting batteries from "saskbattery" give them a Google! They're like Amazon. You'll have a new excellent quality battery in your mailbox almost next day!
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by VzrDean1800 View Post
    Hey Andy, have had great luck getting batteries from "saskbattery" give them a Google! They're like Amazon. You'll have a new excellent quality battery in your mailbox almost next day!
    Dean

Thanks for the heads up
    Stav

Some pics. I didn't have the time or forethought to line up two perfect before/after shots, but the pics I found in my inventory are at least close. Fyi to add to the visual references out there for 130 stock Dunlop vs. 160 Avon (this is the Spirit ST).

I adjusted the fender with a cbxer/Stav "tuck & lift" technique - bought a handful of M6/16mm stainless socket cap screws and washers, and plan to 3D print some additional "washers" (which may require 20mm screws to reach... oops) to fill the space and "lock" the change in so it can't slide back down. At the moment, I just fired in some black silicone to help the fender resist the urge to slide back down. The way I cut the slots, I ended up "lifting" on the first one, then "tilting" on the bottom one to get a satisfactory gap. I was a little less brave than some and have a good finger-width now between the rubber and the fender (a little less on the back, little more on the front so as to not create a fender-killing squeeze for larger rocks).

Loving the look.
    Looking forward to getting used to the ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideBySide.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	382802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190326_203321.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	382804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190326_203329.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	382806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190326_203345.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	382808