M109 Rider Forums banner

Lean Angle - Wipe Out or Grind Pegs First?

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  BorderlandBiker 
#1 ·
Thanks for stopping to read!

As this is my first large, heavy, cruiser style bike, I am not used to how much lean I can get out of it while remaining stable. I know max lean angle is relative to a lot of things, like: my height, weight and riding position, road angle, speed. On average, when going around some fairly sharp curves (20 mph warning signs) around 30-40 mph, am I more likely to end up on the ground first, or will I hear pegs grind first?

Thanks!

#8 ·
:agree: There is a lot of weight behind that front tire and the 9 has pretty decent brakes. If you grab front brake in the middle of the turn you will likely wash out low side. Slow in, fast out! :bigthumbsup:

#5 · (Edited)
Grind those pegs away. You can even scrape the front exhaust shield also. :evil::evil::evil:
You can also look at the wear of the tires to know if you can corner more. If you see a “chicken strip” you can lean more. But keep in mind, drive with in your limits and comfort level. I have seen 9’s out run sport bikes on the twisties.

#9 ·
Because of the foot position, and my big feet, I usually start dragging the heels of my shoes before the peg feelers. All the shoes I ride with have worn heels. LOL! I don't have access to a lot of high speed twisties here where I live. So I tend to have trouble getting rid of that last row of chicken strips on the outer edge. I usually just put the bike on a bike jack and with the motor running, hit them with sand paper til they're gone. Bwahaha. :D

#11 ·
I replaced my peg feelers with titanium ones and purposely scrape them about as much as I can. Leaves a nice bright white trail of sparks out the back! My heels usually hit first, then the pegs. Just be sure to replace the feelers when you start grinding the underside of the pegs. If you don't you'll be turning waiting for the pegs to tell you how far down you are and you'll bounce of the frame instead, not a good situation.

#16 ·
I don't plan to get too aggressive, I have just been going in to curves super slow worried about the lean angle and its causing me to either 1) lug heavily out of the curve, or 2) downshift while leaning which is a less than savory habit.
This will likely dump you before your pegs will.
:joke:

Not to lecture, but routinely you would get your speed and rpm's under control *before* entering a turn, so you can properly power out of it (slow, look, press and roll), or even better - get good at trail braking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPE67XqGsV4
:bigthumbsup:

#15 · (Edited)
If Reg Pridmore ever teaches classes at your local track you may want to sign up for 'track day'...? A few years ago I took a couple of classes at the race track near Monterey (Laguna Seca Raceway)...and learned a lot. Many of the instructors are off/duty motorcycle officers (as are some of the MSF Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructors) and are quite helpful. I rode with the B level (beginners) riders. Often we would FOLLOW the instructor around the track as he gradually increased his speed. After our session on the track (the A level advanced riders would then go out on the track) we'd go into the office and have the instructors review our riding with us. They would have us practice "trail-braking) using the rear brake through the corners...especially helpful if you've come into a corner a bit tooo fast. You'll find gradually accelerating (I know it sounds counter-intuitive) through a turn often will work to stabilize your ride...DON'T grab the front! brake...KEEP LOOKING THROUGH and out of THE TURN and VISUALIZE YOURSELF 'MAKING THE TURN'...I took those classes on an FZ1 but know the principles apply to all bikes...Some insurance companies will give you a discount for taking classes...PEACE RIDE SAFE..:bigthumbsup:

#17 ·
NSF beat me to it. Yup, always get your self set up before entering the turn. Best not to have to shift down or use brakes while leaning over. Especially sharper turns, enter them slowing down, set up your line and power out of it. Proper line is to position yourself at the outside of the turn before entering. Aim for the apex of the turn at the center, and power back out headed for the outside of the turn once again. This way you're trying to make a straighter line out of the turn.

#18 ·
Ditto on the other members' advice "always get your self set up BEFORE entering the turn"...(brake/downshift BEFORE entering the corner THEN accelerating out of the corner) are fundamental. Trail-brake only if you're comfortable doing it. There may be MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes in your area scheduled on-line. Two local Junior Colleges in our area schedule them on weekends in their PARKING LOT...If you're, as you say, slowing down toooooooo much for slow/speed turns it may lead to you dropping your bike to the inside of the curve. PEACE :bigthumbsup:RIDE SAFE...P.S. There is in the SF Bay Area a (Dr. Wong's riding clinic) it's free on the South Bay Riders.com forum. He and his expert riding friends will follow you and others on the backroads from Woodside up through the redwoods to ALICE'S RESTAURANT...at lunch he'll critique your riding...Maybe there is someone in your area that will do the same? ???

#19 ·
Thanks for all the fantastic advice everyone. I'll look for such classes here in Mid TN and even back home on the Cumberland Plateau, I will continue to focus intensely on improving my curve-entrance and building confidence in my leans to maintain fluidity, and I will definitely be buying titanium peg feelers! I have a massive affinity for Ti (work at a metal forming plant processing mostly Ti 6Al 4V), so it's cool to know I can put some on my 9.

#20 ·
I agree with the advice above. I trail brake often on my sport bikes as i love drifting. I do not do it as often on the 9 but i will and have to show off some :) This big old girl will lean a lot before you have issues. For sure the pegs can touch ground way before your in trouble. AS others mentioned though, potholes will grabe pegs like a mother and they are not fun .

#21 · (Edited)
Agreed, pegs scrape first. I never lost traction in a lean on uncorrupted pavement. I had titanium sparkers and loved using them. I would warn everyone with cobra engine guards that you will hit those with enough lean past the peg scrape though and they will stand your bike up a bit when they hit changing your trajectory. I found this out the hard way taking one of the photo corners on Deals Gap aggressively but luckily saved the turn.

100% agree with the advice above to always setup for the turn before entering and always try to leave yourself a little margin in your calculations for '****' to happen since control is an illusion.

#22 ·
Ditto with all the above mentioned advice...If you were in the SF Bay area you might want to check the following forum/sites for 'GROUP RIDES'...They'll always have more experienced riders that most often will critique your riding. Your ego won't mind and it's worth listening to and watching them...

https://www.southbayriders.com

https:www.docwong.com

PEACE :bigthumbsup: SAFE

P.S.

You may want to visit the MSF (Motorcycle safety foundation) site to find if they're having classes near you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.