M109 Rider Forums banner

Helmet

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  FlyingCircus 
#1 ·
What helmet looks best with the 9?
I like some of the scorpions good for hwy and city

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Liked Scorpion (EXO-AT950 w Peak Delete...) and a Shark (Evoline) but ended up with a Bell SRT Modular (XL) as the only one which would fit my enormous melon. Sadly I couldn't hardly even get a Shark ON my head! #shapeMatters... Fortunately the Bell turned out to be wildly comfortable with a huge *crystal clear* visor with super solid detents. Never occurred to me to pick a helmet which might look better or worse with my bike. I suspect everyone is looking at my bike not me anyway.

Good luck with your pick.

#6 ·
ended up with a Bell SRT Modular (XL) as the only one which would fit my enormous melon. Sadly I couldn't hardly even get a Shark ON my head! #shapeMatters
I have this same problem but on a bit larger scale I guess.

Tried ordering my last helmet online and had to send it back twice before I ended up with something I could live with.

I have the HJC Modular and started off at 2XL....nope this was not going to work way to tight on my head.

Sent it back and got the the 3XL.....better but still no way could I ride long distance with it on.

Sent if back and got the 4XL......which I decided was comfortable enough to keep, but it still leaves an imprint on my forehead for an hour after I take it off.

I am about due for another soon and think I am going to try the 5XL this time.

Love the modular helmet though.

BCS

#13 · (Edited)
Personal opinion. I came from sport bikes so I only wear full face.
I love my AGV. I have a pumpkin head so different helmets will fit your head very differently. My advise is to try on a bunch and not just randomly buy one online. I liked the scorpion but it didn't fit my head well. Bell and Arai was hit n miss too. AGV, Suomy and HJC fit my big head best.

Attachments

#16 ·
I wouldn't have anything but full face for the 40 years I've been riding. When the internet first got popular in the mid to late 90s there was a website called ogerish and it showed a big burly biker with his jaw torn off and just meat hanging there below his nose. Confirmed my choice of a full face and not a beanie

#14 ·
I have a rather small head, as I wear a size medium helmet. I love the fit of the AGV Full Face Helmets. I had a really nice flat black polycarbonate synthetic resin full face helmet with a smoked face shield, but I gave it away several years ago, after I sold my Kaw ZX14-R. I should have just kept that darn thing. It was really nice, fit perfectly, and was practically brand new, because I hardly wore the thing. I wore my open face helmet most of the time.

#18 ·
^^ Agreed...I have a Shoei RF-1100 and the visor opening is crazy big. And yes, you can swap the visor out in about 10 seconds.
Super convenient for cleaning as well.
I've only ever worn a full face, so I can't imagine wearing anything else though.
But they say you need to have a "Shoei head" in order to wear a Shoei helmet.
I find that people that don't have a Shoei head say that the helmet puts a lot of pressure on their forehead.

For helmets I look at the safety rating first, then go from there.
At the time i got my Shoei it was either a DOT rating, or a DOT and Snell rating.
The Shoei was rated very well for safety, hence why I went with it.
I see now there is some ECE rating...or something like that.
I will need to research more before my next helmet.
While I plan to never field test a helmets safety, it's nice to know the safety factor is there.
Anything you pick up should be at least DOT rated...so I'm usually looking for the extra ratings.

#19 · (Edited)
I am not real thrilled about ordering helmets (or anything for that matter) online either.

But I live in a very small, rural, podunk town so there is not a lot of options.

Our local dealer has helmets but 95% of what he has in the show room is for dirt bike (off road) so not a lot of choice there either.

Even when I can make it over to the Helmet Shop in Daytona (3 hours away) they have lots of helmets but almost none stocked in a size that fits me, so I can pick a style but still end up having to order the helmet most times.

Its the same as buying shoes for me.....its not "Do you have this in a 14"......its "What do you have in a 14".....and you buy what you can get.....not what you want.

BCS

#20 ·
I also have a medium Shoei RF-1200, but in Matte Black. And I had a Shoei X-11 Kagayama before this. They do fit quite well. More importantly, they can take a hell of an impact/slide and keep your skull intact. I also like that Shoei makes many different shell sizes. I believe my medium has its own shell size. So I don’t look like a bobble head by wearing a large or XL shell! I always go by safety & fit first. Everything else will follow. But I do understand where the OP is coming from. I would feel a bit out of place wearing the Kagayama on my 109. Although, the blues do match pretty well. 😉
Damn. Now I want a new helmet!

Good luck!

Frank

#23 ·

I like this Bell Rogue helmet, but coming from many years of riding SS's I find that this gets a lot of shelf time while I mostly ride with my shoei 1100 and 1200 helmets.

I always picture myself rocking a half helmet with a leather vest, but feel naked without a full face and a full leather with extra protection jacket....I guess old habits are hard to break.

#29 ·
I have a Scorpion half helmet with a flip down face shield. The helmet works very well at all speeds with a windshield, but when riding without a windshield at high speeds, it tends to rise, bobble, and otherwise move around. For high speed riding without a windshield a full face helmet is best for me.

I feel more protected with a full face helmet and therefore I think I tend to ride more aggressively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.