Motor Mounts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Mounts

Default Motor Mounts

Hi all,
    New to the forums, bike has 25,000 miles and I need to change the motor mounts. I have read there are some some custom, or harder composite mounts to install instead of the softer rubber ones.
    Any advice on where to find some? Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dba6463 View Post
    Hi all,
    New to the forums, bike has 25,000 miles and I need to change the motor mounts. I have read there are some some custom, or harder composite mounts to install instead of the softer rubber ones.
    Any advice on where to find some? Any help is appreciated.
    Here are the ones you are looking for: http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=287
    They come in pairs...so if you replaced all on the bike, you would need three pairs.
    The front ones are not too bad to change, and they are the ones that wear out.
    The rear uppers are also not bad to change, but they are the factory harder rubber...so likely fine.
    The rear lowers are the hardest to change being that the motor just about has to come out. They are the same compound as the factory front ones, but should be fine if you replace the worn out ones in time.

I think that's about a summation of what I've read on the forum.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasnuke View Post
    Here are the ones you are looking for: http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=287
    They come in pairs...so if you replaced all on the bike, you would need three pairs.
    The front ones are not too bad to change, and they are the ones that wear out.
    The rear uppers are also not bad to change, but they are the factory harder rubber...so likely fine.
    The rear lowers are the hardest to change being that the motor just about has to come out. They are the same compound as the factory front ones, but should be fine if you replace the worn out ones in time.

I think that's about a summation of what I've read on the forum.
    Youíre mostly correct Sasnuke. However, with dba6463 having 25,000 miles on his bike, without ever having changed the front motor mounts, itís very likely that all six of the motor mounts need to be changed. The front mounts are very likely trashed at this point, which in turn, have very likely severely damaged both the rear upper and rear lower mounts. My recommendation would be to change them all. Billydump.com is definitely the correct source for purchasing the best motor mounts available.

Very Active Member

After seeing my front mounts with 8k miles on them, I can’t imagine how yours looks with over 20k in them.

You may have a point Judah...but I have about the same mileage and just changed the front mounts for the first time...only because I just got the bike. I checked the rear uppers and they look mint...so they are staying right where they are. However, I have not found an easy way to view the rear lowers yet, so I'll categorize their condition as unknown for now. I hope as the weather gets better and I can get it out in the daylight i will have a better opportunity to see the lowers.

Has anyone decided to make custom mounts on a lathe yet?

Just thinking if making a set out of nylon would be a good idea or not. Although using nylon would most likely create a bit of engine vibrations

You may have a point Judah...but I have about the same mileage and just changed the front mounts for the first time...only because I just got the bike. I checked the rear uppers and they look mint...so they are staying right where they are. However, I have not found an easy way to view the rear lowers yet, so I'll categorize their condition as unknown for now. I hope as the weather gets better and I can get it out in the daylight i will have a better opportunity to see the lowers.
    Thatís the first Iíve ever heard of someone with over 20k miles on a 9 where the stock front mounts were destroyed, but the rear mounts were in perfect condition. But, I guess anything is possible. As well, Iím just curious...how much more are you going to see in the sunlight than you would see with a flashlight, especially down in the crevices of the bike where the rear lower mounts are located?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Has anyone decided to make custom mounts on a lathe yet?

Just thinking if making a set out of nylon would be a good idea or not. Although using nylon would most likely create a bit of engine vibrations
    The purpose of the mounts is to diminish and absorb engine vibration. If nylon mounts would likely create engine vibration, why use nylon? Are there any other bikes out there with nylon mounts? Iím just curious, because I donít know.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    The purpose of the mounts is to diminish and absorb engine vibration. If nylon mounts would likely create engine vibration, why use nylon? Are there any other bikes out there with nylon mounts? Iím just curious, because I donít know.
    I donít know if other bikes use nylon or not.... it seems like a PITA to have the mounts wear out so quickly so I was thinking of custom mounts that maybe more durable

I don’t know if other bikes use nylon or not.... it seems like a PITA to have the mounts wear out so quickly so I was thinking of custom mounts that maybe more durable
    T-Rod and FuturR have already collaborated on designing the best and a greatly improved motor mount for our 9s that have proven to vastly reduce engine vibration, while holding up and lasting for a much long period of time/miles. They are sold at www.billydump.com. Once you’re on the site, go to the top of the page and click on the M109R tab. Scroll down, and you’ll see the Polyurethane Motor Mounts. The cost is $40 per a set of two each.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 02-25-2019 at 07:48 AM.

I didnít realize those were available, thanks for the link!

I didnít realize those were available, thanks for the link!
    Youíre welcome Bro. They are very well made, and the hardness of the polyurethane compound seems to be dead on perfect. Iíve actually seen, held, and compared them to a stock mount, and the new ones are significantly better.

Thatís a good enough review for me to buy a few sets

Looking at the pictures compared to the stock ones, they sure do look like a big improvement

Very Active Member

i find that uprated/harder mounts give more vibration than stock ones personally

Quote Originally Posted by frankj View Post
    i find that uprated/harder mounts give more vibration than stock ones personally
    Similar experience had the member here "biker-chicky",

she had the front ones replaced with harder upper rear

ones, and the result for her was more vibrations...

In her hands, to be exact...
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Thatís the first Iíve ever heard of someone with over 20k miles on a 9 where the stock front mounts were destroyed, but the rear mounts were in perfect condition. But, I guess anything is possible. As well, Iím just curious...how much more are you going to see in the sunlight than you would see with a flashlight, especially down in the crevices of the bike where the rear lower mounts are located?
    Lol...ok, I get it...you're 'that guy' on this forum.
    That's cool...I belong to car forum also that we have 'that guy'.

I'll be more than happy to attach a pic of the rear mount next I'm working on the bike...which should be in the near future as I have to install a TRE and check a few other things.
    Right now the bike is in a corner of my garage where the lighting in not the best and there isn't an abundance of space to maneuver around it. And yes I've tried poking in there with flashlights briefly, but with poor ambient light and limited space i haven't really found a good spot to start poking with the flashlight.
    Once I get it outside and can really take a good look at the area, I may find a spot to peak in a lot faster and easier...especially if I can get down on the ground beside the bike.
    Honestly I haven't invested much time in looking for the lower mounts as I had other stuff to do on the bike...and the uppers looked just fine...which I found quite easily despite my illumination handicaps.
    I really do need better overhead lighting in the garage...it's on my list, just not very high at this point.

Lol...ok, I get it...you're 'that guy' on this forum.
    That's cool...I belong to car forum also that we have 'that guy'.

I'll be more than happy to attach a pic of the rear mount next I'm working on the bike...which should be in the near future as I have to install a TRE and check a few other things.
    Right now the bike is in a corner of my garage where the lighting in not the best and there isn't an abundance of space to maneuver around it. And yes I've tried poking in there with flashlights briefly, but with poor ambient light and limited space i haven't really found a good spot to start poking with the flashlight.
    Once I get it outside and can really take a good look at the area, I may find a spot to peak in a lot faster and easier...especially if I can get down on the ground beside the bike.
    Honestly I haven't invested much time in looking for the lower mounts as I had other stuff to do on the bike...and the uppers looked just fine...which I found quite easily despite my illumination handicaps.
    I really do need better overhead lighting in the garage...it's on my list, just not very high at this point.
    No, Iím ďnot that guyĒ on this forum or any other forum. I was merely asking questions based on the information you were providing. How was I to know that your bike is located in a corner of your garage? You certainly made no mention of not having room to maneuver around it with a flashlight, which is why I asked what I felt was a reasonable question. As for your mounts, thereís no need to provide any pics. In summary, my comment was that I felt it was ďunusualĒ for there to be no damage to the rear motor mounts on a 9 with 20k miles, when the stock front mounts had never been replaced previously, especially when most front motor mounts are toast at approximately the 8,500-9,000 mileage point. Every bike is slightly different, so itís possible that your rear mounts are okay.

I apologize if my comments and questions bothered you.

No, Iím ďnot that guyĒ on this forum or any other forum. I was merely asking questions based on the information you were providing. How was I to know that your bike is located in a corner of your garage? You certainly made no mention of not having room to maneuver around it with a flashlight, which is why I asked what I felt was a reasonable question. As for your mounts, thereís no need to provide any pics. In summary, my comment was that I felt it was ďunusualĒ for there to be no damage to the rear motor mounts on a 9 with 20k miles, when the stock front mounts had never been replaced previously, especially when most front motor mounts are toast at approximately the 8,500-9,000 mileage point. Every bike is slightly different, so itís possible that your rear mounts are okay.

I apologize if my comments and questions bothered you.
    Hey...nothing bothering me. Like I said, I have 'that guy' on the car forum and I've been dealing with him for years...sadistically it's actually quite entertaining and fun.
    But I'll be sure to post a pic when I get back in there...I gotta take the covers off again anyways. Maybe someone replaced the rear uppers and not the front...which would be super odd! I doubt it though.
    But we should really try to keep the thread on topic...just sayin.

Hey...nothing bothering me. Like I said, I have 'that guy' on the car forum and I've been dealing with him for years...sadistically it's actually quite entertaining and fun.
    But I'll be sure to post a pic when I get back in there...I gotta take the covers off again anyways. Maybe someone replaced the rear uppers and not the front...which would be super odd! I doubt it though.
    But we should really try to keep the thread on topic...just sayin.
    😎👍

Thank you much for the advice and the links, I will have to take a look and see how many of the mounts I need to change, but most likely will change them all with the miles on it, started vibrating pretty bad last summer.

That’s a good enough review for me to buy a few sets

Looking at the pictures compared to the stock ones, they sure do look like a big improvement
    I’m confident that you’ll be very pleased with the ride and feel of your bike after you install the new and improved mounts.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 03-01-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Iím confident that youíll be very pleased with the ride and feel of your bike after you install the new and improved mounts.
    The bike in my signature I donít have anymore (crashed last year) and Iím planning to buy a 19í 109 once summer arrives..... so I wonít need the new mounts right away, but might make it a project for next winter

The bike in my signature I donít have anymore (crashed last year) and Iím planning to buy a 19í 109 once summer arrives..... so I wonít need the new mounts right away, but might make it a project for next winter
    Oh, okay. In that case, if you change out your front mounts out early enough you will not likely need to change your rear upper or lower mounts for quite a while.

Here's my rear mount after 38,000 kms. The front mounts were toast and I replaced them with the poly ones.
    As the fasteners seemed to be never removed before that hold the frame section and mount, and with no tool marks on the fasteners either, I'm guessing this is the first time the front mounts were being changed.
    Once again my pic is sideways, but the half moon cutout sections around the mount appear to be even...couldn't get my phone in any further to get a straight on pic.
    Down the road if I blow the bike apart for something substantial, I may replace all the rear mounts with the poly ones.
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	20190304_123404.jpg†
Views:	66†
Size:	43.4 KB†
ID:	382436

T-Rod and FuturR have already collaborated on designing the best and a greatly improved motor mount for our 9s that have proven to vastly reduce engine vibration, while holding up and lasting for a much long period of time/miles. They are sold at www.billydump.com. Once youíre on the site, go to the top of the page and click on the M109R tab. Scroll down, and youíll see the Polyurethane Motor Mounts. The cost is $40 per a set of two each.
    I purchased these over the winter and replaced my fronts today. I went for a 15 minute ride. The vibration is mostly gone. Unfortunately, it has been replaced with a buzzing sensation in the footpegs, hand grips and my mirrors are unusable over 2000 RPM. After 15 minutes, my hands and feet were feeling numb.

Do these mounts have a break in period, after which this buzzing sensation will go away and subside?

Has anyone here had experience with these mounts from Billydumps? Does the buzzing go away over time or is this to be expected? I will buy the harder OEM rear mounts if the consensus is that these do not soften up.

I've only put about 500-600kms on mine, but the bike seems ok to me.
    However I've only put 700kms or so on the bike since owning it, so I'm probably not the best to judge this.
    I'm still feeling out what noises and vibrations the bike does have at different speeds/rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Has anyone here had experience with these mounts from Billydumps? Does the buzzing go away over time or is this to be expected? I will buy the harder OEM rear mounts if the consensus is that these do not soften up.
    I had the OEM Rear (harder) Motor Mounts installed in the front mount position on my 07í M109R at 6,000 miles, and recently (2.5 months ago) had to replace those OEM Motor Mounts at approximately 13,000 miles with the Motor Mounts from the Billy Dump site. It was a noticeable improvement for sure. Those OEM harder mounts are not very durable at all, from my experiences with them.

My bike hit 35,000 last week. Never touched the motor mounts. Not going to. It starts and rides just fine. Doesn't make my hands sleepy like my B-King does. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's my motto, and I'm stickin with it.

Motor's not hanging below the frame, I changed the oil the other day and it looked flush with the frame bottoms. I put it on a jack under the engine all the time. Gap between the engine side covers on the left is even, top-to-bottom. I'm leaving it alone.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING