Motor Mounts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor Mounts

I agree...If its not broke, dont fix it. Its a waste of money, unless youre just wanting to upgrade for personal preference, or expected longevity of the replacement part. You are one of the more fortunate ones with your motor mounts for sure. However, I believe the ratio of folks whos 9 needs or has needed the motor mounts replaced versus those whos 9 doesnt need or has never needed them replaced is vastly apposed to one another, with those needing or having needed to be replaced being overwhelming greater.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I honestly don't know if it needs them, or not. I've read the oil pan hangs under the frames when bad. I've read the big gap at the two left engine side covers is not even top-to-bottom when they're bad. Vibration? Mine feels like it always has. Pretty smooth except for a small range around 3000 to 3500, where it has always had a kind of, what would you call it, "vibration that reminds you there's an 1800 cc motor between your legs". It's always done that, since new. It never bothered me any. Way back when this forum started, there was rumor or speculation that the engineers who designed this bike, did that intentionally. Hence, why I call it "vibration that reminds you there's an 1800 cc motor between your legs".

My B-King is buzzy, typical high strung four cylinder buzziness. And it also has very firm grips. Maybe if I changed them, it wouldn't put my hands to sleep so fast. As it is, I have identical cruise controls on both bikes, chrome on the M1800R and flat black on the B-King. That works for me.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I wouldn't say I was having problems, it was more of an easy replacement and a preventative maintenance thing that was relatively inexpensive. These are what mine looked at after 13,000 KM (8000 miles). My question is, do these "loosen up" after a bit or will I have to live with the buzzing footrests and mirrors, since there seems to be no cushion or give with these mounts?

Click image for larger version.

Name:	2019-06-02 16.53.40-1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	384060 Click image for larger version.

Name:	2019-06-02 16.54.07-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	384062

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I wouldn't say I was having problems, it was more of an easy replacement and a preventative maintenance thing that was relatively inexpensive. These are what mine looked at after 13,000 KM (8000 miles). My question is, do these "loosen up" after a bit or will I have to live with the buzzing footrests and mirrors, since there seems to be no cushion or give with these mounts?

Name:	2019-06-02 16.53.40-1.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	384060 Click image for larger version.

Name:	2019-06-02 16.54.07-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	384062
    Thise look like stock motor mounts, and 8,000 miles is about the exact range in which most of them need to be replaced. Im not sure what you mean by loosen up. However, I can tell you that the problem only gets worse after time, if they are not changed out. The best motor mounts Ive ever seen or had on my 9s are the polyurethane ones provided through billydump.com at $40 per set. At some point Im going to have all of my motor mounts on all of my 9s changed to the polyurethane motor mounts from billydump.com.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Thise look like stock motor mounts, and 8,000 miles is about the exact range in which most of them need to be replaced. Im not sure what you mean by loosen up. However, I can tell you that the problem only gets worse after time, if they are not changed out. The best motor mounts Ive ever seen or had on my 9s are the polyurethane ones provided through billydump.com at $40 per set. At some point Im going to have all of my motor mounts on all of my 9s changed to the polyurethane motor mounts from billydump.com.
    I have the Billydump mounts installed on the front right now. You are correct, those are the stock mounts removed. The stock mount rubber is very spongy which also means there is some give so the vibrations are absorbed by the rubber. The Billydump mounts have virtually no give, meaning they absorb very little vibration and instead transfer it to the rest of the bike. Does the polyurethane get softer over time, allowing it to absorb more of the vibrations? Do you feel any buzzing on your foot pegs and do your mirrors vibrate at certain RPM's, where you cannot see? I apologize for not being clearer earlier.

Wheras mine, with 35,000 on the stock mounts. No buzziness, mirrors crystal clear. I'm not changing them. F it. I don't want mounts that make the bike like my B-King.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have the Billydump mounts installed on the front right now. You are correct, those are the stock mounts removed. The stock mount rubber is very spongy which also means there is some give so the vibrations are absorbed by the rubber. The Billydump mounts have virtually no give, meaning they absorb very little vibration and instead transfer it to the rest of the bike. Does the polyurethane get softer over time, allowing it to absorb more of the vibrations? Do you feel any buzzing on your foot pegs and do your mirrors vibrate at certain RPM's, where you cannot see? I apologize for not being clearer earlier.
    Since mine were installed I havent experienced any of the buzzing you mentioned. Rather, my two bikes run much smoother after the Polyurethane Motor Mounts were installed. Those mounts, although they are harder and more durable than the Rear OEM Mounts, they do have some give in them...just not as much as the OEM versions. Im not sure, but I do suspect the Polyurethane Mounts could give a bit more over time.

Since the stocks were already wearing out, I won't be putting them back in. If the buzzing doesn't go away in the next 1000 Km, I'll swap them for the harder OEM rears. Thanks for the input Judah.

Since the stocks were already wearing out, I won't be putting them back in. If the buzzing doesn't go away in the next 1000 Km, I'll swap them for the harder OEM rears. Thanks for the input Judah.
    Sledge, please keep us posted on the status of the buzzing. Im interested to know if it diminishes over time/mileage. You had me so curious and intrigued about this issue that I went out and checked both of my 9s again to see if I had overlooked an obvious issue. Thankfully, both were just as I had stated previously. They are smooth as butter, with no buzzing whatsoever. I wonder if there could be something else causing the buzzing sensation youre experiencing?

Sledge, please keep us posted on the status of the buzzing. Im interested to know if it diminishes over time/mileage. You had me so curious and intrigued about this issue that I went out and checked both of my 9s again to see if I had overlooked an obvious issue. Thankfully, both were just as I had stated previously. They are smooth as butter, with no buzzing whatsoever. I wonder if there could be something else causing the buzzing sensation youre experiencing?
    The buzzing is the worst while cruising at 2500 RPM and higher. Hopefully the weather holds up and I can test at the 1/4 track on Friday evening. I don't know what else could be causing it other than the harder mounts because I never had this before. I'll keep you posted if the status changes.

I wondered this exact thing. Tougher = more stable... but also more transfer. It surprises me everyone is so very happy with this solution, counter to what I would expect the physics of the problem to provide.

The buzzing is the worst while cruising at 2500 RPM and higher. Hopefully the weather holds up and I can test at the 1/4 track on Friday evening. I don't know what else could be causing it other than the harder mounts because I never had this before. I'll keep you posted if the status changes.
    Sledge, did you look at the condition of your rear upper motor mounts to check their condition? I wonder if they were worn also, although you replaced the front mounts, if that could cause some vibration/buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    I wondered this exact thing. Tougher = more stable... but also more transfer. It surprises me everyone is so very happy with this solution, counter to what I would expect the physics of the problem to provide.
    NSF, my understanding of the harder/more stable Motor Mounts is that they better stabilize the motor, and diminish the vibration/buzzing affect, because they better restrict the movement of the motor during operation. If the harder motor mounts are properly installed, theyre expected to greatly decrease the amount of space available for the motor to move, thereby smoothing out and immensely decreasing the vibration/buzzing/shaking of the motor caused by worn out and physically deformed motor mounts. The softer motor mounts have too much give in them, and quickly lose their shape, which allows for more space for the motor to move/vibrate/buzz/shake.

NSF, my understanding of the harder/more stable Motor Mounts is that they better stabilize the motor, and diminish the vibration/buzzing affect, because they better restrict the movement of the motor during operation. If the harder motor mounts are properly installed, theyre expected to greatly decrease the amount of space available for the motor to move, thereby smoothing out and immensely decreasing the vibration/buzzing/shaking of the motor caused by worn out and physically deformed motor mounts. The softer motor mounts have too much give in them, and quickly lose their shape, which allows for more space for the motor to move/vibrate/buzz/shake.
    Aha. Ok, yes, I can see that angle also.
    I guess I was thinking in a single dimension - swing a hammer, hit a rock, vs. swinging a rubber mallet at the same rock.

But with a harder motor mount, I'm restricting how far I am able to physically swing my arm before I hit the rock, ergo less impact.

So if the engine vibration and bike frame are constants I can't control (the rock) but I can restrict how far I am able to swing my arm between strikes (harder motor mount), then less energy will be available for transfer.

Ok. Sure. I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Aha. Ok, yes, I can see that angle also.
    I guess I was thinking in a single dimension - swing a hammer, hit a rock, vs. swinging a rubber mallet at the same rock.

But with a harder motor mount, I'm restricting how far I am able to physically swing my arm before I hit the rock, ergo less impact.

So if the engine vibration and bike frame are constants I can't control (the rock) but I can restrict how far I am able to swing my arm between strikes (harder motor mount), then less energy will be available for transfer.

Ok. Sure. I can see that.
    That was an amazing analogy NSF. I was both fascinated and amused at how you tied my response into your analogy. It was dead on!😁✋😁

VERY WELL DONE MY BROTHER!!!😁👍🏆🏆🏆👍😁

Actually, harder mounts transfer more vibration into the frame of the bike (handle of the hammer in the analogy above), where as the rubber mallet (softer mounts) absorbs the impact transferring less into the handle (the bikes frame).

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Actually, harder mounts transfer more vibration into the frame of the bike (handle of the hammer in the analogy above), where as the rubber mallet (softer mounts) absorbs the impact transferring less into the handle (the bikes frame).
    That makes sense and seems to be my experience. I still might put the harder OEM mounts in the front and use the Billydumps for the rears.

This is what I can see for my rear uppers. They look good to me. Are the next to go the rear uppers or lowers?

Name:	03D7941F-8366-4C4B-814F-81E68FFBAEF2.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	384074
    Last edited by Sledge; 06-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.

That makes sense and seems to be my experience. I still might put the harder OEM mounts in the front and use the Billydumps for the rears.

This is what I can see for my rear uppers. They look good to me. Are the next to go the rear uppers or lowers?

Name:	03D7941F-8366-4C4B-814F-81E68FFBAEF2.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	384074
    Fronts go first, then if you let the fronts go too long, the rear uppers will go. Rear lowers go last. The ones pictured above look good. I would leave them.

The harder mounts might transfer a little little more vibration into the frame, but not a significant amount. I would suspect that it is just enough vibration that it causes something on your bike that is loose to make the noise you are hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasnuke View Post
    Here's my rear mount after 38,000 kms. The front mounts were toast and I replaced them with the poly ones.
    As the fasteners seemed to be never removed before that hold the frame section and mount, and with no tool marks on the fasteners either, I'm guessing this is the first time the front mounts were being changed.
    Once again my pic is sideways, but the half moon cutout sections around the mount appear to be even...couldn't get my phone in any further to get a straight on pic.
    Down the road if I blow the bike apart for something substantial, I may replace all the rear mounts with the poly ones.

Attachment 382436
    I'd say that one needs to be replaced. If you look at the tab on the top of the mount in the pic with the "P" on it, it appears almost twice as long as the two on the left side in the pic. Maybe it's just the angle of the camera?
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Thats definitely true, and I totally agree with the concept. However, my experience is that the mounts I now have on my 9s are not so hard that they are allowing enough impact to be transferred to the frame to cause of any noticeable vibration. In fact, both of my 9s ride extremely smooth at all speeds and rpms. Those Billydump mounts are not like some solid blocks of steel that have no give at all. Theyre just a bit harder than the Rear OEM mounts, which I have found to be a great improvement on my bikes.

Fronts go first, then if you let the fronts go too long, the rear uppers will go. Rear lowers go last. The ones pictured above look good. I would leave them.

The harder mounts might transfer a little little more vibration into the frame, but not a significant amount. I would suspect that it is just enough vibration that it causes something on your bike that is loose to make the noise you are hearing.
    I don't hear a noise, I feel a vibration that is so strong and fast that it feels like a buzzing sensation. Maybe I'll tear things open again to see if I missed something.

That’s definitely true, and I totally agree with the concept. However, my experience is that the mounts I now have on my 9s are not so hard that they are allowing enough impact to be transferred to the frame to cause of any noticeable vibration. In fact, both of my 9s ride extremely smooth at all speeds and rpms. Those Billydump mounts are not like some solid blocks of steel that have no give at all. They’re just a bit harder than the Rear OEM mounts, which I have found to be a great improvement on my bikes.
    I agree. That is why I’m thinking he might have something loose somewhere and the slight change in the amount of engine vibration transferred to the frame, although probably not enough for us to feel, may be enough to cause something on the bike to rub or vibrate and cause the noise he is hearing.

I agree. That is why Im thinking he might have something loose somewhere and the slight change in the amount of engine vibration transferred to the frame, although probably not enough for us to feel, may be enough to cause something on the bike to rub or vibrate and cause the noise he is hearing.
    I definitely think you are on to something with that assertion P. I had been thinking it might be something else causing the vibration, but I just couldnt imagine what it could be. I posted a comment to Sledge, wondering if there might be a chance that the vibration is being caused by something other than the Billydump mounts? Im a big fan of the Billydump mounts so far. I hope sledge finds out the exact cause of the vibration on his 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    I'd say that one needs to be replaced. If you look at the tab on the top of the mount in the pic with the "P" on it, it appears almost twice as long as the two on the left side in the pic. Maybe it's just the angle of the camera?
    I think it's just the angle of the pic...also the pic uploaded rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise...so the tab with the P is actually pointing towards the front of the bike.
    Down the road I may just replace all the mounts with the poly ones.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I used the upper rear harder stock on the fronts and made a huge difference. When I took out the stock fronts they were worn out and very spongy. The ones I got are much stiffer which are stock rear uppers and have been great since I put them in. I'd also like a permanent set as it was a PITA messing with the frame bolts. I'd think what I have done will last a few years as they I can't compress them with my fingers like the originals

I swapped the upper rears with the Billydumps I had in the front so now I have the Billydumps in the rear upper and the hard OEM in the front. The buzzing in the footpegs and mirrors are still there, just not as intense. I don't really feel it in the grips anymore. To be clear, the buzzing I FEEL, I do NOT hear anything.

I'll leave them alone for now, as I'm tired of going in.