M109 Rider Forums banner

Poor engine performance at medium engine speeds

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Solovev 
#1 ·
#3 ·
bad gas? clogged injectors or if its carburetor clogged jets.

#6 ·
compression and plug wires aka coils

#10 ·
I would start by testing the coils and the spark plug leads (wires) first. If everything checks out there, and while you have the tank off, you should inspect all the wire connectors to make sure all the pins are in place and none of the connectors have pulled out of the housings that retain them. This is a problem with the "M" when removing the gas tank, there is a connector where it is common for the wire to pull out of the housing, but still look like it's attached. Just some ideas for you to check out. Good luck.

#11 ·
I also have that spudder at mid range. While ridding at moderate speed say 3rd gear and the engine has balanced with RPMs to throttle position ill start to feel and hear it a little. I am also curious if there is a real problem or if its just an inherent quirk of our bikes with the high compression ratio. I have no loss of power when I want it and it sounds great as long as the engine is under load. Its only when the RPMs are balanced with throttle position. Don't know how else to express that. I know my engine is running well. Just today I was ridding with a buddy. He has a Indian Chieftain. He had the performance Cams installed and brags about how much more power his bike has now and how he cant keep the rear wheel from spinning thru all his gears. Yeah well.....He couldn't pull away from me today. We never had a real chance to run out, but 1st-3rd from a slow start I was faster. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.