Keep it Forever or just until Whenever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep it Forever or just until Whenever?

Default Keep it Forever or just until Whenever?

Hey, Team.
    Just some general musing questions to solicit opinions I'm curious about.
    I see a wide variety of model years for sale - from 2006 to 2013 on a regular basis.
    While everyone has their own reasons of course - not riding enough anymore, changing bikes, etc., there are two common themes I see:
    1. "How Many Miles?" And,
    2a. (From Sellers) "It is virtually stock / I returned it to stock," strangely mirrored by,
    2b. (From Buyers) "I got a deal on a lot of mods I would have made anyway."

Which begs two questions:
    Q1) When do you sell your bike?
    Do you keep it forever, mile it out to the moon and back, and give it away or sell it for parts? Or,
    Do you roll it over every few years to keep it fresh and maintain selling value?

Q2) As a SELLER, do you worry about putting it back to stock? As a BUYER, do you prefer pre-modded or stock?

It seems odd to me that we all talk about how much we love to ride and look forward to riding / modding as much as possible, but then only want to buy a bike the previous owner never rode or touched. Lol.

Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Q1) When do you sell your bike?
    When you blow it up......

It seems odd to me that we all talk about how much we love to ride and look forward to riding / modding as much as possible, but then only want to buy a bike the previous owner never rode or touched. Lol.
    If the bike you are buying has sat around for years and was NOT ridden frequently........be prepared to work on it and drop some coin into it.

If the bike you are buying WAS ridden and modded by the previous owner frequently.....be prepared to work on it and drop some coin into it.

BCS

Great responses to the questions Bering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2011 M109R Blue with a lot of chrome (Sally)
    I named the truck wife named the bike

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post

If the bike you are buying has sat around for years and was NOT ridden frequently........be prepared to work on it and drop some coin into it.

If the bike you are buying WAS ridden and modded by the previous owner frequently.....be prepared to work on it and drop some coin into it.

BCS
    Bwaaahahahaha. Omg that made me laugh immediately.
    "The voice of experience" - and the "be prepared" part makes sense, as you are proving. Well respected rider sells to well respected rider, and still there is much to be done. You could probably sell it back to the original owner in 3 years and the same might happen all over again. Good times.

Very Active Member

That's a hard one we all probably struggle with. Sell it while it still holds value, or ride it until the end. Personally I think how much money you have dumped into the bike along the way plays a big part of that decision. Then ask yourself, what would I buy to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Or crash it <--- I don't recommend this though, it sucks

For me as a buyer, mileage plays a factor of course but buying used, you can't expect incredibly low mileage (although they are out there) so when i bought my 13' it had 34k kms on it and it didn't concern me, especially since it had the corbin bags on it

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Yep I found similar 08's like I just bought with only 8k miles on them and some were even a bit cheaper, but they were pretty much stock, or only had a exhaust and no real other mods to speak of.

The fact that the bike I bought had Costal Moto chrome rims on it is what caught my attention and made me buy it.

The other mods it had were icing on the cake and the box of stuff the previous owner gave me when I bought it just catapulted it over the top.

Thanks again Chip......You-Da-Man

Aftermarket bits can really increase the value of the deal you are receiving very quickly.

BCS

I actually found an Ď08 for 8500.00 USD at a car dealership with only 1100 miles on it. I am going to guess the owner really didnít know what he had until he throttled it.

US Army Retired

Default Wear it out

I bought mine to wear it out..these bikes are cheap,and depreciate rapidly..if you flipped it every two or three years,you would be much deeper into it than keeping one till it died...besides they don’t change much as we can all see..if you love it why switch for the same thing..I have 90K kms and it runs great !!
    ive gotten more than my monies worth in my opinion,and hopefully many more years and kms to come..I don’t ride it as much,since I picked up my second bike,but when I do it still brings a smile to my face..had it out couple weeks ago,and it still turns heads after 11 years..was parked next to a couple new $$ big money bikes at a coffee stop,and everyone was gathered around my 07 asking questions and taking pics..funny as hell

When it dies,I’m sure I could still get a couple grand parting it out..plenty of bang for the buck in the long run ..no complaints here
    Last edited by Stavros; 11-12-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Stav

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

BCS Perfect response LOL

I have a buddy that has a 2010 with 3000 kms so about 1800 miles. He puts it up for sale sporadically and asks $9000 CDN so $6800 American. Has some mods. He won't budge on price as he says he really doesn't want to sell but never rides it LOL

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Or crash it <--- I don't recommend this though, it sucks

For me as a buyer, mileage plays a factor of course but buying used, you can't expect incredibly low mileage (although they are out there) so when i bought my 13' it had 34k kms on it and it didn't concern me, especially since it had the corbin bags on it

Yeah, no crash please

I bought mine with 11K kms and now has 26k kms over 2 seasons. After next summer holiday I'll be at your 35K kms

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Well, I consider myself pretty new to biking. I bought my first bike for my 40 birthday gift to myself (8-9-2006). So I have been riding 12 years, and am now on bike number 15, 4 of them have been M109's. My reason for selling is that I tend to just want a change in riding style. I also am patient and only buy when I am getting a great deal, and then ask a fair price when I go to sell. Most of my mods are just what i need for comfort. I am not a show guy, more of a go guy. In my 12 years of riding, I have averaged anywhere from 10k-14k miles per year.
    My reason for selling my current 9 (a 2013 M109) is to pick up my dream bike (a generation 2 Vmax). If I should get bored with the Vmax, I am sure I will get another M109, as it is the only bike that i have ever loved.

everything has a price. sell and buy new if your tired of it.

"You cant argue with my 9mm..........well you can, but you'll end up bleeding alot"
    RUBZERK = Are You BZERK

I've had mine 12 years already, may as well just keep on riding it til either it falls apart, blows up like Bering said, or for whatever reason due to my advanced age, I can't ride anymore. Which, if it comes to the latter, I'd better be pushin up them daisies soon, cause life without riding a TWO-WHEELER would be unbearable. Note I said two-wheeler, cause none of them three-wheeled contraptions could or will ever replace a two wheeled motorcycle, and I'll never own one. If I cannot ride a two-wheel motorcycle, I hope I'm dead!
    Last edited by cbxer55; 11-12-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Cxboxer55 you sound like futurR at MAN this year he told us if you see me on a Harley Iím dead. I just thought of this, if we see Matt on a Harley and heís dead that would also mean we are dead too.

US Army Retired

If my 9 ever dies, Iíll part it out. Provided I canít get a crate engine if or when that ever happens. Otherwise, one of my kids or grandkids will end up inheriting it. Once you exceed the MSRP of the bike in mods, you are never selling it. That is unless you just like giving money away. Mods donít raise the value of the bike. Unless you find someone willing to give you a stupid amount of money for it because they specifically want your bike and no other bike will do. If that ever happens, run out and play the lottery!!!

With Victory shutting down, Iíll probably never sell my Magnum either. Iíll ride it until it dies, fix it if I can get the parts. When I canít fix it, Iíll part it out. Iím more likely to add to the stable than sell one of my bikes. All three of them are exactly what I wanted for a specific type of riding. Even if I had kept them stock, I doubt I would sell any of them. I spent too much time finding the exact bike I wanted. Why would I sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post
    Cxboxer55 you sound like futurR at MAN this year he told us if you see me on a Harley I’m dead. I just thought of this, if we see Matt on a Harley and he’s dead that would also mean we are dead too.

That too! I'll never own a harley, or a trike. Two wheels behind or in front, a trike is something I gave up when I was like, five years old. Never again!

Been watchin all the Pirates Of The Caribbean the last few days. Lots of death in those movies, in a fun kind of way! Captain Jack Sparrow is my hero. Captain Hector Barbossa right behind him. And he's not afraid of death. Push on men, you can sleep when you're dead. ;-)

I'm not belittling anyone who rides one because that's what they are left with. I understand that. I just won't do it myself. DIG? But if you're capable of riding two, and think riding three is the "Cat's Meow", I got nothing fer ya.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 11-12-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Good one.

QUOTE=Bering_C_Sparky;3967516]When you blow it up......

BCS[/QUOTE]
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Two wheels behind or in front, a trike is something I gave up when I was like, five years old. Never again!
    I feel like everyone has their own reasons for what they ride. I never wanted a trike, but after my accident, the wife wanted me to give up riding. I saw the spyder as a safer option, that would satisfy her. But after a while, I actually liked it. Now I see my spyder as a way for me to do something I love, and also sometimes get the wife to ride with me. I personally will not ride a passenger on a 2 wheeler, but feel just fine with her on my spyder. I will probably also continue to have a 2 wheeler, but if I had to give up 1, it would be the 2 wheeler. I just enjoy the ride a little more, and can relax a little more when on my spyder. Each to their own is all I say.

Very Active Member

I posted a few weeks ago something similar on the FB page. I was blown away by the amount of people selling older "9" with such low mileage. All I can imagine is seeing a bike in someone's garage collecting dust and being a conversation piece "yeah bro, I got an M109. That bike is awesome" and they have 5000 on it. lol IMHO opinion I would buy a bike with higher mileage knowing it wasn't sitting and the internals are worn well. Of course, the way it was ridden matters also, but that's something we'll never know. It's the used car salesman saying "an old lady had this car parked" (yeah right) To each his own, I've never sold a bike; I've either wrecked it, or blown it up.

Not riding your motorcycle to keep the miles down for resale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy.

I tend to swap bikes, (and cars) often.
    I have had my '9 for about 2.5 years, '07 model that I rebuilt from the ground up as I bought it after it had gone down and a slide.
    Came from sportsbikes and thought a cruiser was the next logical step...

I then came across a Busa, that I am in love with.
    So I have been having the discussions with myself, do I keep the '9 or sell?

It's modded, so limits my market - Or as I own it outright, do I just wheel it down the back of the shed and cover it up? Bring it out every few weeks or so..

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    That too! I'll never own a harley, or a trike. Two wheels behind or in front, a trike is something I gave up when I was like, five years old. Never again!

Been watchin all the Pirates Of The Caribbean the last few days. Lots of death in those movies, in a fun kind of way! Captain Jack Sparrow is my hero. Captain Hector Barbossa right behind him. And he's not afraid of death. Push on men, you can sleep when you're dead. ;-)

I'm not belittling anyone who rides one because that's what they are left with. I understand that. I just won't do it myself. DIG? But if you're capable of riding two, and think riding three is the "Cat's Meow", I got nothing fer ya.
    Just curious if you have ever ridden a Spyder. If not, you should at least test ride one before you say ďneverĒ. That said, they really are not my thing either. I prefer 2 wheels too. The Spyder is still a fun ride tho. Reminds me of a cross between a snowmobile and a sports car. It is surprising how well they handle. They stay flat thru the curves, even more so with the heavier sway bar. That is both a good and a bad thing in my book. Good because it handles like a sports car with almost no body roll. Bad because it stays flat in the curves like a sports car when I would rather lean on a bike.

Try riding one some time. You might be surprised how fun they are. If nothing else, you will understand why some people like them. I enjoy test riding lots of bikes. Most of them, I have no intention of ever buying. It is still fun to try new bikes at the demo days when they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Just curious if you have ever ridden a Spyder. If not, you should at least test ride one before you say ďneverĒ. That said, they really are not my thing either. I prefer 2 wheels too. The Spyder is still a fun ride tho. Reminds me of a cross between a snowmobile and a sports car. It is surprising how well they handle. They stay flat thru the curves, even more so with the heavier sway bar. That is both a good and a bad thing in my book. Good because it handles like a sports car with almost no body roll. Bad because it stays flat in the curves like a sports car when I would rather lean on a bike.

Try riding one some time. You might be surprised how fun they are. If nothing else, you will understand why some people like them. I enjoy test riding lots of bikes. Most of them, I have no intention of ever buying. It is still fun to try new bikes at the demo days when they have them.
    To me it is like having a combination of a sports car, a bike, and a super fast go cart.
    But there are some people that you will never convince that a spyder is pretty nice, and can be fun to ride. When I first was looking at them, I thought it was for older people who were no longer able to ride 2 wheels. Although the majority of riders will be in the 50+ age range, they can still be a load of fun for the younger crowd. I really see the RSS that I had as being directed more to the younger crowd, especially if it is ridden the way it was ment to be. Once I get this Vmax, I think I will be set for bikes for a while (although I have said that before. But who knows, if I get rid of it, it will possibly be for either another RSS or a base F3S that I can use mainly for speed. Considering how quick I can be on the F3T (when I really turn up the wick), I know the other 2 will be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I feel like everyone has their own reasons for what they ride. I never wanted a trike, but after my accident, the wife wanted me to give up riding. I saw the spyder as a safer option, that would satisfy her. But after a while, I actually liked it. Now I see my spyder as a way for me to do something I love, and also sometimes get the wife to ride with me. I personally will not ride a passenger on a 2 wheeler, but feel just fine with her on my spyder. I will probably also continue to have a 2 wheeler, but if I had to give up 1, it would be the 2 wheeler. I just enjoy the ride a little more, and can relax a little more when on my spyder. Each to their own is all I say.
    A bit OT, but an interesting sidebar we got on to here because I have one also (2017 RT-L). I gotta say, IMHO, further to other comments on the topic here, riding a Spyder is NOT like riding a Motorcycle, anymore than walking is like running. But! The Spyder is SUPER comfy, LADEN with features, CAVERNOUS storage, PLENTY of usable power (back wheel is quite "light" though - traction-controlled fishtails, anyone?) - a spectacular choice for long distance comfortable rides IMHO. Not for twisties. Not for lane splitting. Not for red-light drag races. But beautiful cruising machines *IF* you don't/can't/won't ride 2 wheels. My wife is smaller in stature and not mechanically inclined, and has ZERO interest testing her limits on the complexities of a 2-wheeler, but *loves* the open rush of her semi-auto-one-brake-pedal Spyder, so it works for her. For me, I *do* enjoy occasionally booting around on it, and I've been rider and passenger, and although they are WILDLY expensive for not-a-bike, they are indeed a lot of fun. "You can have anything you want... you just can't have everything."

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS_man View Post
    I posted a few weeks ago something similar on the FB page. I was blown away by the amount of people selling older "9" with such low mileage. All I can imagine is seeing a bike in someone's garage collecting dust and being a conversation piece "yeah bro, I got an M109. That bike is awesome" and they have 5000 on it. lol IMHO opinion I would buy a bike with higher mileage knowing it wasn't sitting and the internals are worn well. Of course, the way it was ridden matters also, but that's something we'll never know. It's the used car salesman saying "an old lady had this car parked" (yeah right) To each his own, I've never sold a bike; I've either wrecked it, or blown it up.

Not riding your motorcycle to keep the miles down for resale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy.
    Bwaahaha. PERFECT! My thoughts exactly - although you worded it MUCH more clearly. Lol.

I am seeing now from the various posts that my initial thoughts were limited by my perspective - I *only* see the listings when sellers and buyers are discussing bikes for sale and purchase... I *don't* see listings for bikes NOT for sale, right? So that taints the view - plenty of us are keeping them until they blow up (haha) or wreck (eek), and recognizing that is now more encouraging that "it's ok," for me to just enjoy riding the crap out of 'er at every possible opportunity until she just can't do it anymore. ...wait...we're still talking about my BIKE, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    A bit OT, but an interesting sidebar we got on to here because I have one also (2017 RT-L). I gotta say, IMHO, further to other comments on the topic here, riding a Spyder is NOT like riding a Motorcycle, anymore than walking is like running. But! The Spyder is SUPER comfy, LADEN with features, CAVERNOUS storage, PLENTY of usable power (back wheel is quite "light" though - traction-controlled fishtails, anyone?) - a spectacular choice for long distance comfortable rides IMHO. Not for twisties. Not for lane splitting. Not for red-light drag races. But beautiful cruising machines *IF* you don't/can't/won't ride 2 wheels. My wife is smaller in stature and not mechanically inclined, and has ZERO interest testing her limits on the complexities of a 2-wheeler, but *loves* the open rush of her semi-auto-one-brake-pedal Spyder, so it works for her. For me, I *do* enjoy occasionally booting around on it, and I've been rider and passenger, and although they are WILDLY expensive for not-a-bike, they are indeed a lot of fun. "You can have anything you want... you just can't have everything."

Bwaahaha. PERFECT! My thoughts exactly - although you worded it MUCH more clearly. Lol.

I am seeing now from the various posts that my initial thoughts were limited by my perspective - I *only* see the listings when sellers and buyers are discussing bikes for sale and purchase... I *don't* see listings for bikes NOT for sale, right? So that taints the view - plenty of us are keeping them until they blow up (haha) or wreck (eek), and recognizing that is now more encouraging that "it's ok," for me to just enjoy riding the crap out of 'er at every possible opportunity until she just can't do it anymore. ...wait...we're still talking about my BIKE, right?
    I have no experience on the RT, but the F3 does great in the twisties.

My problem with the 9 has been the fact that I bought a 2nd and then a 3rd bike. My thought process was that if I need or want to work on one of them, I would always have something else to ride while I was working on the other. What I have found is much different. I have something else to ride, so the work doesnít get done very fast. My 9 has had a leak in the air ride for over a year now. I keep planning to pull it apart and fix it, but then the weekend rolls around and I end up riding instead. It will get fixed this winter tho!

Wife has zero issues with the twisties in her 11 RT. I installes a JT air kit and a Cannon exhaust. Next will be the ECU flash for her, but she is not sure is she wants to that far in mods.

You wont be able to fishtail or get on 2 wheels without the nanny kicking in and taking over.

If I ever get a Spyder when I can no longer be on 2 wheels, the F3L would be my choice. Maybe by then they will put a V6 in it...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The spiders have always intrigued me but agree with most of the comments that it wouldn't fully feel like a bike, so for that i'll stick to two wheels until i'm physically unable too.... or until my wife says she wants one

Iím a 2 wheeler kinda guy however I just turned 70 at some point I realize I wonít be able to hold up a 2 wheeler so hello Spyder

US Army Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post
    Iím a 2 wheeler kinda guy however I just turned 70 at some point I realize I wonít be able to hold up a 2 wheeler so hello Spyder

Have a friend who is now 80 and still rides a M109R, 2006 Blurple model. Ya got a ways to go yet Zippy!

Bought my B-King from him when he was 79. He gave it up to do some home remodeling. I'm certain he may be begging me to sell it back to him some time in the future. More like I'm holding it for him.

He works out regularly and can still bench press more than I ever could.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member

Default .

I must admit, in my house I am the one who likes the Spyder. My wife absolutely hates it and everytime I look at one she says "it's not a bike..no!" No shame here though. However, if I'm going to buy a "non-bike" I might as well get a Vanderhall, just hate that it has a car engine.