Fuel Stabilizer

Thread: Fuel Stabilizer

Default Fuel Stabilizer

Hi guys. Just wondering what you guys are doing over the winter months regarding storage. I will be keeping my bike in a semi-heated garage and looking at a float charger. I'm not sure about what to do with the fuel. I never did anything with my lawnmower but run the fuel low and put fresh in at the beginning of the season. Had it for about fifteen years and still running strong. Not sure about a high performance bike though. I'd appreciate hearing your advice. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

SeaFoam. I run it in fuel and oil all the time.

yup SEAFOAM! run it low on gas then add it and make sure to run motor again so that its worked in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Ive never had any issues as long as i stick with non-ethanol gas. If you dont have access to it try some stabil in it. Also a full tank helps prevent rust inside during the off season.

Seafoam,non ethanol,full tank

bingo,Bango,bongo.........
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by hibusa05 View Post
    yup SEAFOAM! run it low on gas then add it and make sure to run motor again so that its worked in.
    Yes, Sea Foam is the right stuff to use when winterizing the tank. However, the proper way to use it is to fill the tank with fuel, add the Sea Foam to the full tank, and store the bike away for the winter. You should never allow your bike to sit over the winter low on fuel, because it can cause rusting inside the tank. Once winter is over, and you’re ready to ride the bike again, you simply take the bike out and ride it as normal. The Sea Foam added to the fuel will clean out any gunk that has built up in the motor as you’re riding.

You couldn't pay me to put seafoam in any of my vehicles. Other than that, I keep the tanks full to the brim, keep both bikes stored upright in chocks so the tank can be totally filled. Mix in one ounce per gallon Marvel Mystery Oil and leave them be. I plug my Nine into a battery tender whenever it's in the garage. My B-King has a lithium battery and has offered me no problems yet just sitting out the winter. Started right up first touch of the button in the spring.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

A few oz of stabilizer in the tank, run it for 10 min and put her away.

Bike is up on the stand with the wheels off the floor.
    I've never put the battery on a charger. OEM battery still going. Although it seems it could be due for a new one next spring. Not bad for 9 years...
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post

I've never put the battery on a charger. OEM battery still going. Although it seems it could be due for a new one next spring. Not bad for 9 years...
    My battery tender keeps the battery right at 12.6 volts as long as it's plugged in. Other than that, my stock battery lasted six years. Have had three more since, stock replacement batteries. So the last three have lasted around two years. Bought the battery tender when I bought the current battery, two years ago. We'll see if it was worth it.

The lithium battery in my B-King. My friend whom I bought the bike from in September last year, put it in like in 2014 or so. And it's still going strong. It's a Ballistic lithium battery. Like the lithium battery for the Nine, it's a whole lot smaller and lighter than the stock battery. When my current Nine battery goes tango uniform, it will be replaced with a Ballistic lithium battery.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

This is what I do as well. I don’t sit mine on a tender either. I do start it every couple weeks and let it run for few.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    You couldn't pay me to put seafoam in any of my vehicles. Other than that, I keep the tanks full to the brim, keep both bikes stored upright in chocks so the tank can be totally filled. Mix in one ounce per gallon Marvel Mystery Oil and leave them be. I plug my Nine into a battery tender whenever it's in the garage. My B-King has a lithium battery and has offered me no problems yet just sitting out the winter. Started right up first touch of the button in the spring.
    Rob, what is wrong with Sea Foam? I’ve been using it in my bikes for years, and it has worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Rob, what is wrong with Sea Foam? I’ve been using it in my bikes for years, and it has worked great for me.
    Maybe, it works in keeping already clean injectors clean, but it doesn't do a damn thing for injectors that are plugged up. And for what this thread is about, that junk is not a fuel stabilizer. It's a supposed fuel system cleaner. I say supposed because my 98 Ranger and me have constant fights over plugged injectors. Seafoam doesn't do a damn thing. Only thing that works is Berryman's B-12. Reason, it has high strength solvents in it. Methanol, MEK, Acetone and another I forget. You don't want to mistakenly pour it on your paint, it'll take it off. But it cleans dirty injectors right up.

You like your seafoam, you can keep your seafoam. I won't touch the stuff.

For long term storage, what this thread is about, Stabil is the only thing out there. Although I prefer to use Marvel Mystery Oil my self, have for many many years. Like since the late 70's. Keep a one gallon bottle of it in the garage.

For the Berryman's, as strong as it is, I've used as many as four cans in a tankful of gas on my old Ranger without any undue side affects. Haven't replaced one hose in it's 20 year old fuel system. Replace the filter every two years. That's it. Four cans in 17 gallons didn't even turn the check engine light on, but it sure made the exhaust smell bad.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 11-05-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

SeaFoam is also a lubricant to keep things like injectors from getting plugged. Not meant actually cleaning but as a maintenance additive to keep things lubricated and from clogging

And being it's actual foam from the ocean it's environmentally friendly

This is what I do as well, just don't lift it. I'm on the OEM battery as well, 10yrs and still kicking.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    SeaFoam is also a lubricant to keep things like injectors from getting plugged. Not meant actually cleaning but as a maintenance additive to keep things lubricated and from clogging

And being it's actual foam from the ocean it's environmentally friendly
    Perhaps the reason it has worked well for me is that I use it every for winterizing my bikes, and sometimes I use it again around July, if I have done a lot of riding from the beginning of the riding season. I only run Shell 91 Octane fuel, which is a pretty clean fuel that doesn’t leave a lot of gunk residue in the motor. The combination of the Sea Foam and type fuel I use has worked very well for me, and kept my motors pretty clean and running great for years now. Personally, I believe Sea Foam has some cleaning qualities to it as well. Just how much, I can’t validate.

91 octane for you too. Where I live that's the highest I can get. When on holiday in North West USA and even in Canada, British Columbia and Alberta I could get 94

Thank you all for your advice. I will be thinking over your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    91 octane for you too. Where I live that's the highest I can get. When on holiday in North West USA and even in Canada, British Columbia and Alberta I could get 94
    There’s gas stations in my city area that provide 93 Octane, but the Shell Station that supplies 91 Octane literally sits right outside of my Subdivision, which takes me all of 1-2 minutes to get there from my house.

I use 93 in mine, the station is 3.5 miles from me. He's practically the only station in my area that has 93, so it's nice he's close. It's a big more pricey, but worth it. He has to get the 93 shipped in from Arkansas, it's otherwise not available here in Oklahoma. That and one ounce per gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil every tank.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I used to use Stabil, but the in the spring it ran like crap until I used fuel in the tank. Now, I don't use anything ... just make sure I use non-ethanol premium fuel. I don't use the bike for 5 months over the winter. I used to take the battery out .. I don't now. I've not used stabil for 6 years now .. with no issues, even with the original stock battery (10+ years old) .. starts every spring no probs.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

I love reading localised threads. In Australia we just keep on riding as the temperature or weather conditions never gets anywhere near where you would garage for more than a week or two.
    Having said that, last year there was a week when I had to get a taxi for three days in a row to get to the train station to go to work.
    I swap between bikes and when one is "in the back" it's full tank and battery tender.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk
    Live long and ride hard \\ //

Very Active Member

I have been using Stabil or Star Tron to stabilize the fuel in my motorcycles, generators, boat, pickup, and car when storing over the winter (Kentucky) or summer (Florida). I have been stabilizing fuel for storage for at least 30 years, with only one problem; a stuck carburetor float valve, even after draining the carburetor.

Vehicles with fuel injection are not as prone to fuel problems as are carburetors. Also where you store the bike affects the deterioration of the fuel. Cold climates are not so much of a problem, but storing vehicles in Florida over the summer can be a big problem if the fuel is not stabilized. Also, I've had batteries fail when on maintainers here in Florida.

You are wasting your money putting high octane fuel in your tanks. I run 87 octane in all of my bikes. Of course if you are lugging the engine or riding hard in hot weather you will need to run 91 octane.

Storing equipment with small engines, with small carburetors will benefit from using stabilized ethanol free gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I have been using Stabil or Star Tron to stabilize the fuel in my motorcycles, generators, boat, pickup, and car when storing over the winter (Kentucky) or summer (Florida). I have been stabilizing fuel for storage for at least 30 years, with only one problem; a stuck carburetor float valve, even after draining the carburetor.

Vehicles with fuel injection are not as prone to fuel problems as are carburetors. Also where you store the bike affects the deterioration of the fuel. Cold climates are not so much of a problem, but storing vehicles in Florida over the summer can be a big problem if the fuel is not stabilized. Also, I've had batteries fail when on maintainers here in Florida.

You are wasting your money putting high octane fuel in your tanks. I run 87 octane in all of my bikes. Of course if you are lugging the engine or riding hard in hot weather you will need to run 91 octane.

Storing equipment with small engines, with small carburetors will benefit from using stabilized ethanol free gasoline.
    I don't know about the US, but here in Ontario there is ethanol every blend of gas below 91 octane ... and even some 91 has ethanol. I will NEVER put anything with ethanol in my bike !!!

I heard it is worse in the US !!

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    I don't know about the US, but here in Ontario there is ethanol every blend of gas below 91 octane ... and even some 91 has ethanol. I will NEVER put anything with ethanol in my bike !!!

I heard it is worse in the US !!
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    This is a difference between what is 'suitable' and what is best for your bike. It took a lot of research and bugging the oil companies here in Canada, but I found out that of all the 91 grade fuels, only shell and esso do NOT have ethanol in their 91 grade fuel. Everyone else does. Looking at the pumps, only shell clearly indicates no ethanol in their 91 grade fuel .. the others have a general warning that their fuels can contain ethanol. I only use esso and shell 91 grade. Besides are we trying to cheap out on the performance of our bike .. hell no .. that's why we bought our M109. The owner's manual for my Infinti says I need to put 91 grade in it ... I don't .. because I know the computers in the car can adjust for lesser fuel, besides, I am not too worried about getting maximum performance from my car ... I need value too.

I don't know about all the states, but here in Oklahoma, only 87 octane and E85 have ethanol in them. Our pumps are required to have a sticker that says whether there is ethanol in the gas, on the pump. And only 87 octane and E85 have said stickers. Some stations here have YUGE banners which proudly state NO ETHANOL, PURE GASOLINE ONLY. The 93 I buy comes from Arkansas and is ethanol free.

For those who choose to run less than 90 octane, IT'S YOUR BIKE! If you like your 87 octane, you can keep it!!! Bilge water! Fuel tank had a nice sticker on it that stated MINIMUM 90 OCTANE. And I run 93 because more is better IMHO. I firmly believe all fuel is not equal, and have had vehicles ping on 91 here. So 93 is safer IMHO. I'll not run less unless I just have no option.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING