M109 Rider Forums banner

Kuryakin Premier Throttle Assist or Breakaway Cruise control?

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  mcinrob 
#1 ·
hello to everyone, I'm thinking of putting on one of the two cruise control devices and I was wondering what your opinions are on either one of them and which one do you think is a more efficient one. Also are there any videos of the installation for the M109R with any one of these two? I've seen many with other bikes but not on the M109r with these two. Also are there any videos on heated grips installations for the M109R out there with the cruise control and heated grips together? I haven't seen any and as opposed to having it installed by the dealer I'd rather do it myself because they are very pricey in the end. Thank you very much in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
I've installed the Kuryakin types on other bikes but not the 9 and they are pretty much the same for any and not hard to install. I don't like the look of them so I went with Atlas Throttle lock and simple to install and look great https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

I have it on current heated Oxford grips and just received my Avon Air Cushion heated grips on Tuesday and will be installing them this winter. They look much more custom than the Oxford and are supposed to more comfortable. http://avongrips-com.3dcartstores.com/MT-Air-Cushion-Chrome-Spike-Heated-_p_450.html

The Avon are a little more work to install as you have to drill through the handle bar weights and then drill a hole in the bars to fish the wires through internally

#3 ·
hello to everyone, I'm thinking of putting on one of the two cruise control devices and I was wondering what your opinions are on either one of them and which one do you think is a more efficient one. Also are there any videos of the installation for the M109R with any one of these two? I've seen many with other bikes but not on the M109r with these two. Also are there any videos on heated grips installations for the M109R out there with the cruise control and heated grips together? I haven't seen any and as opposed to having it installed by the dealer I'd rather do it myself because they are very pricey in the end. Thank you very much in advance.
I've installed the Kuryakin types on other bikes but not the 9 and they are pretty much the same for any and not hard to install. I don't like the look of them so I went with Atlas Throttle lock and simple to install and look great https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

I have it on current heated Oxford grips and just received my Avon Air Cushion heated grips on Tuesday and will be installing them this winter. They look much more custom than the Oxford and are supposed to more comfortable. http://avongrips-com.3dcartstores.com/MT-Air-Cushion-Chrome-Spike-Heated-_p_450.html

The Avon are a little more work to install as you have to drill through the handle bar weights and then drill a hole in the bars to fish the wires through internally
That sounds like alot of work for a noob like myself. I've seen how easy it was to out the oxford on through a video on YouTube. Why did you decide to go with the Avon? Thanks for your your response brother.

#4 ·

Also, which model of the Atlas throttle lock did you get for the 9?

#5 ·
I went with the bottom mount Atlas just to keep it cleaner looking. With the Oxford the buttons are higher than as the Oxford wire is at the bottom and it now says to use top mount for that. It didn't say that when I bought it, they said to get bottom mount on the 9. That has since been revised but with the Avon it will now sit perfect.

If you can drill a hole, it's not difficult to install the Avons. Small hole big enough for the wires through the weight, about 1/8" then about 1/4" hole on the bottom of the handle bars. Push the wire through the weight and as it gets to the hole underneath handle bars grab it with small pick or tweezers

Start with using a center punch in middle of weight so your bit doesn't skip around, repeat on bars which will be easier to get through

The weight is probably hard steel so just use a quality bit and keep it oiled and slow speed.

#10 ·
I went with the bottom mount Atlas just to keep it cleaner looking. With the Oxford the buttons are higher than as the Oxford wire is at the bottom and it now says to use top mount for that. It didn't say that when I bought it, they said to get bottom mount on the 9. That has since been revised but with the Avon it will now sit perfect.

If you can drill a hole, it's not difficult to install the Avons. Small hole big enough for the wires through the weight, about 1/8" then about 1/4" hole on the bottom of the handle bars. Push the wire through the weight and as it gets to the hole underneath handle bars grab it with small pick or tweezers

Start with using a center punch in middle of weight so your bit doesn't skip around, repeat on bars which will be easier to get through

The weight is probably hard steel so just use a quality bit and keep it oiled and slow speed.
Would you be able to provide some pics?

#7 ·
You can see it sits higher than it should because of the wire setup of the Oxford grips. When throttle is at highway speed it's about 45 degrees down but will be perfect with Avons.

The Oxford grips are about same length as stock and you can see the Avons are alot longer which will make them more comfortable. Also the Oxfords are very hard. I put grip puppies on them last season and they were much more comfortable but I wore through the brake side grip puppies on the outside end

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Looks really cool with the 9mm casings!! If you can video the procedure that would he awesome. I'm thinking of putting the Atlas locks on the stock grips for now and add the Avons during the winter. How long did tue Avons take to come with ebay. I'm in Montreal Canada. Just curious.

#12 ·
I had a Brake Away on my bike, they're an extremely nice and effective cruise control. The fact you can disable it with the brake lever is a big plus. I took it off because it made me rotate the handlebars higher than I like them. I like them barely clearing the tank at full lock, found another c.c. whcih mounts overtop the brs instead of hanging below them, also disables with the brake lever.

My Brake Away is sitting in my garage gathering dust, still have the instructions as well. The new version is very easy to install and adjust. Will be selling it in the classifieds in the near future.

#14 ·
I had a Brake Away on my bike, they're an extremely nice and effective cruise control. The fact you can disable it with the brake lever is a big plus. I took it off because it made me rotate the handlebars higher than I like them. I like them barely clearing the tank at full lock, found another c.c. whcih mounts overtop the brs instead of hanging below them, also disables with the brake lever.

My Brake Away is sitting in my garage gathering dust, still have the instructions as well. The new version is very easy to install and adjust. Will be selling it in the classifieds in the near future.
A brake away was my first choice, but they don't make a black edition for BOSS 109's.

I contacted them and they said there just wasn't enough demand. Too bad.

#24 · (Edited)
I installed a set of heating elements onto a 4 wheeler for a friend that had solid bars due to end weights spot welded into the bars which i thiught i would need to drill out but turned out i did not need to do so when using a set similar to what is in the link i posted. These elements go between the bar/throttle tube and the grip material.Nd did not need to drill goles to run the wires. I tied the wire to the push pull cables on the underside od the bar /grips that worked out perfectly.... they Actually seemed to work to good and needed to be cycled on and off or they would get to hot even on low. Now I'm sure this is very dependent on which product you buy but if you have the electronic skills to install settings type of fine tuning control i would absolutely do that while i'm at it. Its amazing busy how much difference sounds heated grips and a heated seat can make them the weather turns cold unexpectedly when it riding.....its live having a winter riding leather speed on the bike away all times.

Lol it would have been good for me to post the link, Duh!!!
https://www.ebay.com/i/372481109307...7%26rvr_ts%3Ddca1af8c1660a9c55c56e609fff414fb

#25 ·
The Oxfords wires are outside on the inside of the grips. The Avons wires are inside the grips and attach to the outside cone. So there is no room to move them outside of bars. Need to drill hole through weights and then another hole out through the handle bars. Tomorrow I'm gonna drill them behind the brake and clutch Master cylinders to run along with cables. Once they are run I'll calk the hole with polyurethane to waterproof the handle bars internals. This will be hidden by the master cylinders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.