M109 Rider Forums banner

Anyone have experience with Steelthorne handlebars?

8K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  NoSetFine 
#1 ·
I was planning on doing 2” risers over the winter. Then I started thinking about the steelthorne bars. I hit them up, they will do them to spec that I request, and price isn’t bad. Anyone ever run these?

#2 ·
Literally just did the exact same thing for the exact same reason! He (Robert of Steel Thorn) sent me proof images of their work-in-progress a month later. I thought the proof looked fantastic... but sadly, was missing several key elements of my original request (also done as a custom spec'd order item, paid online). I felt really bad they had proofed it that far without noticing it didn't meet the request. However, it wasn't what I was asking for so I politely reminded them of this, and haven't yet heard back - that was 2 weeks ago. He did originally mention about 10 days of production time.

He seems very responsive and their products *look* spectacular online at reasonable prices, so I remain hopeful this will find a happy ending.

Hope to have more to this story for our collective benefit when the kinks are worked out.
:bigthumbsup:
Nickel Bicycle part Tool Font Aluminium

#4 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, what did you go with? I'm thinking the ones you have pictured but the equivalent of having 2" risers
So the ones pictured are supposed to be 2" pullback / 0" rise - it is more apparent in some of the side views. Although like I said I liked the look as-is (1.5" fatty bar), three things were wrong for me in this case:

1. The risers were supposed to curve outward like their "B108" model (http://steelthorn.redcart.pl/p/1/215/handlebar-b108-harley-warrior-xv-vn-vzr-vtx-m109-.html).

2. The wire exit holes (I plan to run stuff inside the bar) are *facing* each other instead of facing forward. You can just see a bit of one of the holes in that pic. With the holes facing forward I hoped the exit would be cleaner and mostly hidden by the headlight bucket (2016 model).

3. There are no "entrance" holes or dimples on the underside of the cross bar to accept the wires on the way in.

I even asked for "hollow" bolts for exit holes as an option and he said it was possible but complicated and risked weaking the overall structure so I declined in favour of exit holes in the bars. I was however impressed he would even consider it.

I have since also mused that squared off or angular bars instead of tubes would be fun but "nobody" does that, so I will stick with round and see how it goes.

#9 ·
Update - good news!
Robert (I *think* that's his name) replied that he is working on a new set of bars to replace the ones he initially prototyped for me, with some errors which I clarified with him. While I felt bad he went to the trouble and had to re-do it to meet the original specs (not sure how that went wrong, but it happens), I am encouraged that he replied he is working on a replacement.

Timeline, for your reference, as there seems to be a few possibly with concerns with Steel Thorn which I have not yet experienced for myself. I find the timeline of events reasonable and appropriate, given the item is hand-crafted to my very specific personal specs and a 6 hour time difference making most emails sent during the day not really received until the following business day and vice versa. The "Proof is in the Pudding" when I see the quality and construction of the final product of course, but administratively, so far so good:

Sept 14 - Initial contact, and request for quote
Sept 17 - Initial reply and clarifications on the quote
Sept 18 - Robert provided estimate of cost and timelines
Sept 18 - I agreed to the estimate
Sept 18 - Robert provided link to purchase with MY copy/pasted specs as a custom job request
Sept 19 - Paid online
Oct 4 - Pictures of work-in-progress bars provided to me
Oct 4 - I provided notes on required corrections to meet spec
Oct 22 - I asked for an update
Oct 25 - Replied he is working on version 2 of the bars to meet spec

Further updates as events warrant...

#11 · (Edited)
New update today! Robert sent me some pics of the new design. MUCH happier with this - now meets my specs. Note the front-facing holes which should dump the wires directly under the headlight bucket. Also the slight spread in the riser tubes, as requested. Looks like we are getting close to completion.

Caution - Winter Mods In Progress!

Need to get some new cables for my new throttle housing now. Shopped around a bit - not excited about the package price from most for full kits... still shopping.

Also need to finish coding my multiplexed handlebar switch controller!

Anyway here are the pics of the bar in progress.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I would definitely mention that AND a discount for using your design. He'll be making $ off of them, he should offer some sort of compensation. I like them a lot, might have to buy "your" bars lol.

Are you concerned with possible kinking of the cables while turning? It seems like a lot of bends on the cable.

#14 ·
"Steel Thorn Model 158" is now a "No Set Fine original," for all to order! Ha. Kind of cool.

http://steelthorn.redcart.pl/p/1/41...model-158-harely-davidson-vtx-xv-xvs-vn-.html

I'm just a bit worried and sent an email to ask, he says "Dimensions as original," but I specifically asked for a +2" pullback. Crap... nervous that he may have misunderstood now - the pullback was the entire point. I'll let you know what he says.

#16 ·
WHAT. A. DRAG.

Just got off the phone from giving Canada Post a blast. Totally furious.
  • So Steel Thorn ships me the handlebars on Dec 17 from Poland.
  • Then my email server craps out, so I can't reply to ask him for a tracking number (he didn't offer one at first).
  • Then the package arrives in Canada... but SOME :edit: JACKA** at Canada :edit: Post decides s/he isn't 100% sure they can read the address clearly (I have the shipping label - it clearly includes my name, my postal code, my phone number, and a European-handwriting-slightly-screwed-up street address... but hey, I don't know, maybe since it's coming from :edit: Poland, make a :edit: effort before sending it back you :edit:... geezuz...)
  • So Canada Post doesn't call and doesn't notice the postal code matches everything else on the slip including the cryptic street number... and ships it back.
  • To :edit: Poland.
  • Then my email is fixed and I ask Steel Thorn for a tracking number and discover I just missed it - the package is already gone.
  • UN-:edit:-BELIEVABLE.

So who the hell knows when I'll get my bars now - waiting for a call back from Canada Post so I can give them another blast, and demand compensation to pay Steel Thorn to ship it a second time, not to mention another two months of waiting.

Winter 2020 project now.
:swear:
Code:
Date        Time   Location         Description
2019/01/18  09:27  USORDA,          International shipment has arrived in a foreign country

2019/01/17  06:22  MISSISSAUGA, ON  International item being forwarded to destination country

2019/01/17  05:23  MISSISSAUGA, ON  Item processed

[B][COLOR=#ff0000]2019/01/16  11:12  BARRIE, ON       Item has been returned and is enroute to the Sender[/COLOR][/B]

2019/01/16  07:44  BARRIE, ON       Verifying recipient's address; Possible delay

2019/01/16  07:17  BARRIE, ON       Item out for delivery

2019/01/16  05:52  BARRIE, ON       Item processed

2019/01/15  17:36  MISSISSAUGA, ON  Item processed

2019/01/15  10:28  MISSISSAUGA, ON  Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing

2019/01/15  10:26  MISSISSAUGA, ON  Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

2018/12/30  16:53  PLWAWA, Poland   International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada

2018/12/30  08:39  PLWAWA, Poland   International item processed in originating country

2018/12/17  10:44  PL57200, Poland  International item mailed in originating country

#19 ·
Omg I wish it wasn't illegal to beat up Canada Post employees - well... just ONE of them at least - the jackazz who bounced a fully labelled shipment from f*n POLAND to Canada, without even bothering to take five f*n seconds to call the number on the label to confirm the address. WHO DOES THAT?!

Anyway, bars finally landed BACK in Poland again, and buddy said he is shipping them again, this time with a PRINTED address label I emailed him, to help any Canada Post employees along the way dealing with similar social and mental challenges as the first idiot.

The saga continues...

#20 ·
No one would likely understand your frustration as much as I NSF. It's difficult to be patient and understanding sometimes, but patience is truly a virtue, and it always pays off tremendously in the end. I hope you have your handle bars in your possession soon enough Bro.😊👍👍🏾👊🏾👊😊

#23 ·
Update. After weeks of nagging with unanswered emails and IG posts ending with my demand: Tracking number or a Refund by this Friday... oh! well waddayaknow, I finally get an email response.

No apology or explanation - not even one in Polish which he knows I can translate - just a picture of the shipping label showing he shipped it yesterday.

Let's hope Canada Post can figure it out this time.

#24 ·
Update. After weeks of nagging with unanswered emails and IG posts ending with my demand: Tracking number or a Refund by this Friday... oh! well waddayaknow, I finally get an email response.

No apology or explanation - not even one in Polish which he knows I can translate - just a picture of the shipping label showing he shipped it yesterday.

Let's hope Canada Post can figure it out this time.
Hopefully you get the correct ones. That was painful

#26 ·
Well, after travelling about 21,000km (13,000mi) from Poland and back...twice... it finally arrived! (Or "they" finally arrived..? Is one handlebars singular or plural? Ha.)

They seem *very* heavy, although I don't know what a stock set might weigh, and best I can figure by holding them up next to stock, is the angles look like they could hopefully be right. The finish seems clean and professional and all the holes and fittings I asked for are as requested. The fatty pipes looook suhweeeet! I see I will need to waterproof the cable holes once it is mounted, but otherwise I am hopeful it fits. Unfortunately I won't know until this Fall again.

...now to find a set of cables!

Attachments

#28 ·
Will be nice to see once you get them on. Hidden cables gonna look sweet.

For cables, check Fortnine.ca

I got a great deal on sale 3" over stainless
Hey thanks for the tip - I have been scouring the 'net looking for options on those. I didn't think "full retail" would even be a reasonable option, but I like Fortnine so I will check them out.

#29 ·
UPDATE!

Well, due to the absolute circus resulting in a late arrival, I lost a full season before I could try mounting these bars.
Just sent the guy ("Robert") whatever t.f. that is in f*n Polish... ya, you caught me at a bad time - an email.

THE RISERS ARE NEARLY A FULL 1/4" OFF.
Un. F*n. Believable. After the absolute NIGHTMARE I went through trying to get these from this guy, and now this.
Cost me $443 CAD and unless I'm missing something here, they are completely useless to me.

Anyone good at metal work? Any magical voodoo on how to get these to fit?!
This was to be the centerpiece of this years' mod's... and now they're just a steaming pile.
:verymad:
Water Fluid Wood Household hardware Gas
Wood Display device Darkness Desk Hardwood
Wood Material property Gas Auto part Fixture

#30 ·
Update 2020-05-23

Another (less angry) Update for you on these bars.
  • After stewing about it for a few days, and MUCH labour and ingenuity, I did finally get these mounted.
  • I had to creatively rig up a car scissor-jack jig to literally (and very gently) pry the risers apart to the precise size
  • Then I cut a block of wood with matching round cut-outs to brace the risers at that precise size so I could remove the jig and mount the bars.
  • Also had to cook my own silicone washers to go between the risers and the triple-tee...
  • AND I will need to also rig up something to seal the cutouts for the internal wiring so they don't just fill up with water

They are mounted, but I am still waiting for cables... overall I love the look so far, but getting here has been an absolute nightmare.
And the saga is far from over, as I sit here burning sunshine...
:doorag:

#31 ·
I think the hard part is done on your engineering a first ever mod that some people would never try, so good on you. :bigthumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.