M90: Oil Filter Wrench

Thread: M90: Oil Filter Wrench

Default M90: Oil Filter Wrench

To save anyone the palaver I have just experienced, the wrench for the M90 oil filter is a 68mm 14 flute. You will find releasing and refitting the filter by hand very difficult, so a wrench, or a filter with a bolt-head fitting on the end, is required. FYI, there is a Suzuki part number for the wrench in the user manual, but I guess it will not be the cheapest option. Apologies if this info is posted elsewhere. I could only find a related post for the M109.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Go Johnny View Post
    To save anyone the palaver I have just experienced, the wrench for the M90 oil filter is a 68mm 14 flute. You will find releasing and refitting the filter by hand very difficult, so a wrench, or a filter with a bolt-head fitting on the end, is required. FYI, there is a Suzuki part number for the wrench in the user manual, but I guess it will not be the cheapest option. Apologies if this info is posted elsewhere. I could only find a related post for the M109.

Thanks
    Good to know, and thanks for the heads up. I actually use a K&N with a 14mm hex nut at the top; made taking it off super easy. Apparently folks on moto racing tracks have had issues with them, but I have no plans on racing/dragging my bike, so I'm sure it'll be fine for my commuting use.

Apparently many other brands use a hex nut at the top as well. The oil filter i removed was a brand i didn't recognize, but had a hex nut spot welded at the top as well, so I get the sense its fairly standard.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure this type of filter works fine, and K&N is a reputable make. Personally, I found the torque needed to fit the filter on this particular bike quite significant (2 full turns following gasket contact). I felt more comfortable using the 68mm wrench, in that all the twisting force was shared across the full circumference of the filter housing.