LED Lighting Project
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: LED Lighting Project

  1. #1

    Default LED Lighting Project

    Hi guys, in the middle of an LED lighting project. I put clear lenses on all four turn signals (I bought from two different vendors on Amazon; none was an exact fit, although I was able to make alterations to each set to make it work), and put 6000k LED's on the front turn signals (I initially ran 6000k LED's on all four corners, but the rear blinkers weren't blinking at all, so I'm just running them on the front).

    I do have a bit of the "hyper blink", since I'm not running a separate resistor to knock down the volts, but actually, kinda like the rapid blinkers; it calls more attention to myself, which is exactly what I want (especially as dusk is coming sooner every week in the mid-Atlantic / DMV area).

    Will see if I end up getting pulled over and getting an equipment change ticket, but running it as is for now.

    Lastly, I need to update the headlight; this halogen is terrible. Looking for a H4 LED headlight that has 6000k/65000k warmth that will fit the housing and still trying to decide on a bulb.

    Anyone on here do a H4 headlight bulb replacement and have a bulb brand you like or can recommend? Especially one that doesn't require a lot of headlight bracket modifications?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED lights.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	380238

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Myself and a lot others have these

    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb_p_192.html

    The LEDs line up great with the reflectors inside of headlight

    When I ordered mine, like the link states they were out of stock on the 38 watt and I got the 76 watt. It's amazing compared to factory


    for the fast blink change your relay, easier than soldering in resistors

    https://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/rev...ignal-flasher/
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 10-09-2018 at 06:51 PM.

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Myself and a lot others have these

    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb_p_192.html

    The LEDs line up great with the reflectors inside of headlight

    When I ordered mine, like the link states they were out of stock on the 38 watt and I got the 76 watt. It's amazing compared to factory


    for the fast blink change your relay, easier than soldering in resistors

    https://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/rev...ignal-flasher/

    Regarding the LED Turn signals:
    Right on dude, thanks for the tip! Will take a look at where the relay plugs in on my bike, and if it looks like a fit, will order this weekend.


    Regarding the LED Headlight:
    Did you find that the fan housing for the LED bulb made installation difficult, or was it a fairly straightforward install? I've found some H4 Headlights that don't have a fan housing or have the fan housing in front of the round metal plate that claim to avoid the fan clearance issues.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw09 View Post
    Regarding the LED Turn signals:
    Right on dude, thanks for the tip! Will take a look at where the relay plugs in on my bike, and if it looks like a fit, will order this weekend.


    Regarding the LED Headlight:
    Did you find that the fan housing for the LED bulb made installation difficult, or was it a fairly straightforward install? I've found some H4 Headlights that don't have a fan housing or have the fan housing in front of the round metal plate that claim to avoid the fan clearance issues.

    Had to trim some of the rubber boot and that was it

  7. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw09 View Post
    Regarding the LED Turn signals:
    Right on dude, thanks for the tip! Will take a look at where the relay plugs in on my bike, and if it looks like a fit, will order this weekend.


    Regarding the LED Headlight:
    Did you find that the fan housing for the LED bulb made installation difficult, or was it a fairly straightforward install? I've found some H4 Headlights that don't have a fan housing or have the fan housing in front of the round metal plate that claim to avoid the fan clearance issues.
    I ordered the cyclops after seeing it mentioned here a few times. IT IS AWESOME! Mine was a direct fit, no trimming or anything. All I did was completely disassemble everything in the cowl and install the bulb. Took an extra 15 minutes, but everything works as it should. The reason I did this was to get a good grip to be able to "convince" the base to sit in there correctly (lots of elbow grease) When installing the cyclops you need to remove the base of the bulb, install the bulb, secure the base with the metal snap ring, install rubber boot, install power plug. 30 minute job, but I was taking my time. The bulb is too expensive to mess it up.

  8. #6

    Default

    Hi guys, just a quick update;

    I ended up getting these bulbs for my 2013 M90;

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Primarily, because they were one of only a few H4 LED bulbs that had the heatsink/fan in front of the metal plate, rather than behind. My biggest concerns were (1) having to modify the retaining clip, (2) not being able to utilize the dust/waterproof cover, and (3) getting enough clearance behind the headlight cover.

    So far, so good. I ran the bike at idle for about 15 minutes, while occasionally switching the lamp between high and low beams. No flickering, and it was very responsive. No error codes or signals either, which is good. I had a hard time truly telling if it was brighter than my original halogens, so will have to go take a look at it in the dark. I also angled up the beam a bit, better light up the roadway.

    Will test it at some point this week after work and let you know if these will be a keeper.

  9. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Myself and a lot others have these

    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb_p_192.html

    The LEDs line up great with the reflectors inside of headlight

    When I ordered mine, like the link states they were out of stock on the 38 watt and I got the 76 watt. It's amazing compared to factory


    for the fast blink change your relay, easier than soldering in resistors

    https://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/rev...ignal-flasher/

    Thanks again for the tip on the relay. I ended up buying one on Amazon that had good reviews. I also ordered a rear seat cowl to replace my passenger seat, so will install both at the same time next week.

  10. #8
    Very Active Member MainEvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw09 View Post
    Hi guys, just a quick update;

    I ended up getting these bulbs for my 2013 M90;

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Primarily, because they were one of only a few H4 LED bulbs that had the heatsink/fan in front of the metal plate, rather than behind. My biggest concerns were (1) having to modify the retaining clip, (2) not being able to utilize the dust/waterproof cover, and (3) getting enough clearance behind the headlight cover.

    So far, so good. I ran the bike at idle for about 15 minutes, while occasionally switching the lamp between high and low beams. No flickering, and it was very responsive. No error codes or signals either, which is good. I had a hard time truly telling if it was brighter than my original halogens, so will have to go take a look at it in the dark. I also angled up the beam a bit, better light up the roadway.

    Will test it at some point this week after work and let you know if these will be a keeper.
    You should see a huge difference when comparing the Halogen vs LED. If you don't I would return the LED's. I understand your concern about the LED and fan position, but it's not a huge issue. The modification to the clip takes a few seconds. You just have to line it up a bend it a bit to fit around the fan. I bought these LED's for my SUV and they've worked flawlessly. You also have the option of HID's which are brighter and have better beam concentration than LED's. The setup has more pieces, but still a very easy install. If you decide to return your current setup, I also suggest the cyclops. Heard good things about it.
    Last edited by MainEvent; 10-15-2018 at 05:12 PM.


  11. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MainEvent View Post
    You should see a huge difference when comparing the Halogen vs LED. If you don't I would return the LED's. I understand your concern about the LED and fan position, but it's not a huge issue. The modification to the clip takes a few seconds. You just have to line it up a bend it a bit to fit around the fan. I bought these LED's for my SUV and they've worked flawlessly. You also have the option of HID's which are brighter and have better beam concentration than LED's. The setup has more pieces, but still a very easy install. If you decide to return your current setup, I also suggest the cyclops. Heard good things about it.
    Yea, these puppies are legit; I'd been aiming the light from one end of my garage to other, and wasn't able to really get a good representation of the headlight from 10 ft. away from my garage wall. I finally got a chance to make quick spin around the block, and these things are awesome! Really bright, and light up both the road in front of me, as well as give good throw even moving at decent speed. The only complaint I have about them is the beam isn't as focused as I'd like; it has a little bit of a wider spread than I'd prefer. But it's got a great 6000k/6500k brightness and claims 12k lumens, and the kit came with two bulbs, so even if one of them craps out, I'll have a backup.

    Still need to install my newly purchased flash controller to round out this lighting project (i also bought a rear seat cowl that should be coming in this week, so I'll install both at the same time). Hoping the flash controller fixes the hyperflash issue, and lets me run LED's in all four turn signals (running them only in the front two at the moment).

  12. #10
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    The relay will take care of the hyper flash. I got one when I went all LED signals
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 10-16-2018 at 07:38 PM.

  13. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    The relay will take care of the hyper flash. I got one when I went all LED signals
    Roger that. I got one off Amazon - hundreds of nearly 5 star reviews, so hopefully this thing won't conk out on me in the middle of a ride.

    Pictures of finished product below: clear LED lens caps - 6500k white led's on all four corners - relay installed to remove hyperflash - 6000k led headlight and high beam. The White LED's on the rear are a tad too bright at night, so I might re-visit it at some point (although I don't do much night riding, unless I'm riding back from the metro after a long day at work), and I may swap out the front LED's at some point with these cool nodes that are white for running lights, but flash amber when turning.

    But considering this complete for now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto Front.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	380470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto Headlight.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	380472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto Rear.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	380474

  14. #12
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    She's good and bright front and back

  15. #13
    Member busavard417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    10

    Post LED Project

    Will be starting a facelift project soon. LED's are a major part of the project.

    Found these pictures of 9's with LED's installed under tank shroud.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank Kit - Side by Side (gif).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	382212

    Comparing side by side, the 9 on right with blue light has better light effect around fuel cap & speedo.

    Does anyone know best way to achieve this bright effect around fuel cap & speedo ?

    Are strips added close to cutouts from fuel cap & speedo ? Are side view strips added around cutouts for fuel cap & speedo ?

    Suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance.

  16. #14
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    I'm biased obviously being Blue. I'll be doing some Blue LEDs

  17. #15
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by busavard417 View Post
    Will be starting a facelift project soon. LED's are a major part of the project.

    Found these pictures of 9's with LED's installed under tank shroud.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank Kit - Side by Side (gif).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	382212

    Comparing side by side, the 9 on right with blue light has better light effect around fuel cap & speedo.

    Does anyone know best way to achieve this bright effect around fuel cap & speedo ?

    Are strips added close to cutouts from fuel cap & speedo ? Are side view strips added around cutouts for fuel cap & speedo ?

    Suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance.
    The actual lighting you see coming through the speedometer and tachometer faceplates have to be done by having the LEDs on the circuit boards of each item changed to the color you prefer. Most have had them done by www.bluegauges.com. As for the lighting you see around the edges of the gas cap and emitting from around the speedo cover, that can be accomplished by running either one long strip or two separate strips of LEDs inside of the speedo cover, with the lead wire(s) coming out of the front end of the speedo cover over the neck pieces of the bike.

  18. #16
    Very Active Member meierjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Rose; Central Alberta
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by busavard417 View Post
    Will be starting a facelift project soon. LED's are a major part of the project.

    Found these pictures of 9's with LED's installed under tank shroud.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank Kit - Side by Side (gif).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	382212

    Comparing side by side, the 9 on right with blue light has better light effect around fuel cap & speedo.

    Does anyone know best way to achieve this bright effect around fuel cap & speedo ?

    Are strips added close to cutouts from fuel cap & speedo ? Are side view strips added around cutouts for fuel cap & speedo ?

    Suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance.
    That looks sharp!!

  19. #17
    Member busavard417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    10

    Thumbs up Thanks

    Recontacted a custom shop that installs LED kits on almost everything. I first contacted them to get a estimate on installing a LED RGB wheel kit.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED Wheel Kit.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	382228

    I was told to add LED strips close to or around the cutouts for the fuel cap & speedo to achieve desired effect.

    @JUDAH-9 I sent my Hayabusa cluster to Bluegauges.com for LED swap out; will be using them again on my Busavard M109.

    Speedgaugecustoms.com is currently working on the Busavard M109 faceplates.

    Will post pic when projects are finished. Though I found out with my Hayabusa, your never really "finished." (unless you sell it)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parts.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	382234

    Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayabusa - Avatar.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	382230

    "After" - still at shop
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Facelift Avatar - 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	382232

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •