M109 Rider Forums banner

Meancycles 300 arm options

9K views 84 replies 16 participants last post by  VanillaGoorilla 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the two options meancycles has listed for 300 swing arms?

#2 ·
While i cant offer personal experience I can share with you what ive picked up about the different swingarm mods.

You mention 2 Options through Mean Cycles but if im not mistaken there are/were I think 4 different designs which were (listed in no particular order)
1. a modified Stock Swingarm. The stock driveshaft side of the swingarm is ground out at the area where the tire would rub enough to account for tire expansion at highway speeds. Considering there have been more then a couple bikes where the UNMODIFIED stock Swingarm broke out of the blue with No Obvious reason you wouldnt catch me putting one of those on my bike! Purposefully removing material on my Swingarm in order to squeeze a fatter tire in the space is not Something I would Considered or Advocate but that is Just MY Opinion and there have been members who have went this route and couldnt be happier!

2. A Rounded Tube aftermarket Swingarm made by cyclehouse (version 1 i believe). If i remember correctly this version was 1 piece but was made to allow the clearance needed to fit up to a 300mm, maybe even 310mm. This came in chrome or preped for paint. There were alot of warping and fitment issues which turned it into more of a project that most people were not equipped to handle as they were expecting, and rightly so, A Out of the Box Bolt on swap which wasnt the case. This was however the Best Looking version IMHO, but looks mean nothing if it dont work!

3. Version 2 from Cycle House ( As i stated above I may be wrong about who the maker of which design is so please verify this info) This version was made from rectangular stock material on the right side that came in 2 pieces. Once mounted and properly fitted to the bike you will now have the ability to Unbolt the Swingarm portion (right side) without the need to remove the entire part.
I do remember a few minor fitment issues but by far this is the style most members seemed to be the most satisfied with.

4. The 4th style is a knockoff of the 2 piece cyclehouse kit version 2 and i dont know much beyond that or if that is even close to being factual!

#3 · (Edited)
While i cant offer personal experience I can share with you what ive picked up about the different swingarm mods.

You mention 2 Options through Mean Cycles but if im not mistaken there are/were I think 4 different designs which were (listed in no particular order)
1. a modified Stock Swingarm. The stock driveshaft side of the swingarm is ground out at the area where the tire would rub enough to account for tire expansion at highway speeds. Considering there have been more then a couple bikes where the UNMODIFIED stock Swingarm broke out of the blue with No Obvious reason you wouldnt catch me putting one of those on my bike! Purposefully removing material on my Swingarm in order to squeeze a fatter tire in the space is not Something I would Considered or Advocate but that is Just MY Opinion and there have been members who have went this route and couldnt be happier!

2. A Rounded Tube aftermarket Swingarm made by cyclehouse (version 1 i believe). If i remember correctly this version was 1 piece but was made to allow the clearance needed to fit up to a 300mm, maybe even 310mm. This came in chrome or preped for paint. There were alot of warping and fitment issues which turned it into more of a project that most people were not equipped to handle as they were expecting, and rightly so, A Out of the Box Bolt on swap which wasnt the case. This was however the Best Looking version IMHO, but looks mean nothing if it dont work!

3. Version 2 from Cycle House ( As i stated above I may be wrong about who the maker of which design is so please verify this info) This version was made from rectangular stock material on the right side that came in 2 pieces. Once mounted and properly fitted to the bike you will now have the ability to Unbolt the Swingarm portion (right side) without the need to remove the entire part.
I do remember a few minor fitment issues but by far this is the style most members seemed to be the most satisfied with.

4. The 4th style is a knockoff of the 2 piece cyclehouse kit version 2 and i dont know much beyond that or if that is even close to being factual!
The 2 piece swing arm (#3 above) was not from Cyclehouse. It was sold by Swampworks. There were 2 versions of it as well because the first version had a couple of reports of a weak area where the shock mount was. The second version had that area beefed up.

I have the Swampworks 2 piece swing arm on my 9. 2 piece is the way to go. It makes tire changes a breeze as long as you have short exhaust. I'm not familiar with the 2 versions MeanCycles has now. I would need to check them out, but if it is the same design as what Swampworks had, that is what I would recommend.

#5 ·
I'm planning on buying one of these Mean Cycles arms next year, prepping for the next tire change. May or may not go for the 300, but the arm will make tire changes easier for a ten inch 280 combo. Has anyone here bought and fitted one of these arms yet? Because I recall some had some bad problems with one of these two-piece arms. The sheriff dude down in Texas being one of them. I recall he had a terrible time of it.

#7 ·
I just went to MeanCycles site. That 2 piece swing arm looks just like the one Swampworks had. It is listed as a CycleHouse product. I wonder if they were the ones making them all along, or if they just bought the rights to make them, or possibly are purchasing them directly from whoever made them to begin with. Either way, they look enough alike that I would venture to say they are identical.

Meancycles also has the old CycleHouse one piece design available.

#8 ·
Well, I currently am doing a 310 for a customer. The MC swingarm he got for it leaves a lot to be desired in the weld department. Now the opinion is still out in the strength/rigidity department for it. But the aesthetics of the welds are not a finished product at all. The suspension bolt mounts were also off and had to be modified to make the bolt alignment work properly.

Now, with all that said, a good amount of aftermarket products do not also have the best fit--- but will usually work with some elbow grease behind it. If you have to modify it, then it is not a finished product. If a product has a great finish, it is almost always a finished product--- as they have taken the time to test it, proof it, and finish it.

#21 ·
I was texting with Bobby about the mods you say are needed. What exactly had to be done to make it work. Cut off parts and re-weld new ones on? Plug holes and re-drill them? Curious what's involved with making it work. Ugly welds can be sanded/filed and the arm powder-coated. I don't have a problem with that. But would hate to have to make major modifications to the arm to make it fit.

#9 ·
Well damn, none of this gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling on dropping that kind of change on one. I was gonna go chrome too, which means if it needs modified it’s going to mess up the chrome playing .....hmmmm

Which arm are you working with for your customer ?

#14 ·
FuturR and I have had some very in-depth conversations regarding the 300 Swing Arms being sold by MEANCYCLES. One of the major problems we found with all of them is that MEANCYCLES has produced absolutely NO information, specs, sales data, or customer reviews to validate the quality, durability, dependability, or fitment of either of the Swing Arms they provide. It sounds to me as though MEANCYCLES saw an opportunity left by the void created when Swampworks decided to shutdown their operation. But, MEANCYCLES has failed miserably to provide ANY assurance to potential buyers that their Swing Arms are safe, durable, dependable, made of high-quality/appropriate gauge steel, and accurately manufactured to fit perfectly on the M109R bikes consistently. At the cost of $1050.00 or any lower cost, having an inferior or defective Swing Arm installed could possibly create a matter of life or death for M109R owners. There’s just too much at risk for any manufacturer or distributor of Swing Arms to ever lack giving customers complete and concise information regarding such a critical component to the safe riding of potential customers.

I’ve personally spoken with at least 3 employees at MEANCYCLES over the last several months, having requested some facts/data to support their claim regarding the quality and fitment of their Swing Arm products. Each time, neither employee could provide any sort of information other than to tell me they have sold many of each of them. They don’t have any customer reviews posted on their site about any of them either, which is a big red flag for me.

#17 ·
FuturR and I have had some very in-depth conversations regarding the 300 Swing Arms being sold by MEANCYCLES. One of the major problems we found with all of them is that MEANCYCLES has produced absolutely NO information, specs, sales data, or customer reviews to validate the quality, durability, dependability, or fitment of either of the Swing Arms they provide. It sounds to me as though MEANCYCLES saw an opportunity left by the void created when Swampworks decided to shutdown their operation. But, MEANCYCLES has failed miserably to provide ANY assurance to potential buyers that their Swing Arms are safe, durable, dependable, made of high-quality/appropriate gauge steel, and accurately manufactured to fit perfectly on the M109R bikes consistently. At the cost of $1050.00 or any lower cost, having an inferior or defective Swing Arm installed could possibly create a matter of life or death for M109R owners. There's just too much at risk for any manufacturer or distributor of Swing Arms to ever lack giving customers complete and concise information regarding such a critical component to the safe riding of potential customers.

I've personally spoken with at least 3 employees at MEANCYCLES over the last several months, having requested some facts/data to support their claim regarding the quality and fitment of their Swing Arm products. Each time, neither employee could provide any sort of information other than to tell me they have sold many of each of them. They don't have any customer reviews posted on their site about any of them either, which is a big red flag for me.
Has anyone spoke to JC directly. If his website is correct, contacting CycleHouse might yield better info. It would be good to know if the 2 piece swingarm is the same design and manufacturer Swampworks used or if it is a new design or manufacturer.

#16 ·
I know a very few have done it in the past, but there’s ABSOLUTELY no way or reason on earth I would ever notch the stock Swing Arm or any Swing Arm, thereby very possibly compromising the integrity and strength of the metal in that area of the Swing Arm (it is not very thick there to begin with), which could/would also compromise my own safety. Moreover, we’re talking about using a 300 tire here. To fit a 300 tire on a 10” rear wheel inside of a notched stock Swing Arm, one would very likely have to make a notch so deep into the metal of the stock Swing Arm that it would create a hole in the Swing Arm. No matter what one tries to do, a 300 rear setup is not going to fit safely into a notched stock Swing Arm without creating an accident waiting to happen. No where on the Swing Arm should the metal be cut into for any reason. The risks are just too high in my opinion.

#23 ·
While you had no problem, FuturR says he did. Bobby tells me via text that the fix involved cutting off parts and rewelding new parts on to get the suspension holes to line up properly. That's not something I desire to do after purchasing a 1000+ dollar part. So, looks like my plans to buy one next year are done for. No thanks, I'll pass.

#25 ·
Rob, that's a smart decision. Until MEANCYCLES provides some factual data, specs, and either customer reviews or tested results on their Swing Arms, it wouldn't be wise to compromise your walllet and your safety over such a critical bike component with an exorbitant cost. Yes, I believe MEANCYCLES costs for the 2-Piece Swing Arm is excessive and inflated. The Swampworks 2-Piece Swing Arm cost was only $650 (raw finish) - $700 or $750 (primered and black powder coat finish).

It still bothers me when I think about the way things materialized on this forum that caused Andy Caballero and his family to shut down their family-owned SwampWorks operation. There is a large number of members here (including myself) and around the world still riding very confidently on SwampWorks' 2-Piece Swing Arms after several years. That says a lot about the validity of the product and quality of their work.

#24 · (Edited)
The 2 piece 300 swingarm that Meancycle has is made by Cycle House, it is a exact duplicate off Swampworks, Meancycles is the now distributor of Cycle House product as they purchased the rights for the company from DLP and is now sole distributor for them.

I have used both swingarms for 300 install, while I like the 2 piece I like the look of Cycle House better. Both are take the 300 install with ease, even though the cycle house is a one piece it installed very easy. I only use the Avon 300 tire as it fits the best and rubs the least the meztzler doesn't fit and rubs more, you will need to move your wheel over a little more.

Bigpapa call me I can't find your cell.

Andy
516-359-6789

#26 ·
Hello Andy, and thank you for shedding some light on this Swing Arm issue. This information would've been extremely helpful to all of us if it was published on the MEANCYCLES website for general consumption, especially because there has been a great deal of concern in the past, regarding the specs, data, durability, dependability, and overall customer satisfaction associated with the Swing Arms.

As for moving the wheel over slightly, is that going to create a gap where the wheel and hub come together, which would also mean that the teeth inside may not be fully seeded together as it is with the stock setup, or a wheel that has not been moved over? I'm just asking so when I make my decision to go with my next 300 Swing Arm for my next 9 project I can make an informed decision.

Thanks Bro, and be blessed...as always!!!

#30 ·
What exactly do you wana do i have a metzler 280 on mine and i used sumo x and didnt have to change swing arm at all with 10in rim i got mine directly from kurt at sumo-x he painted my bike

#31 ·
The OP is wanting to go to a 300 rear tire setup. That can't be accomplished without going to an aftermarket 300 Swing Arm and modifying the rear inner fender. The 280 setup you have on your 9 is is nice, and many are running with that setup. The brand of wheel is used doesn't matter, as long as the wheel is made to fit an M109R. Changing the Swing Arm is not required when running any brand 10" wheel made to fit an M109R with a 280 rear tire mounted.

#33 ·
Yeah, I currently have a 10" wheel with the 280 metzler. Was just looking to go to the 300 with aftermarket arm. Starting to wonder if it's worth it.
Don't throw in the towel yet BP. If I were you, I would try contacting JC at MEANCYCLES and have him provide you information to confirm the 2-Piece Swing Arm his company is now selling for use on the M109R is being manufactured by Cycle House from the exact, 100% duplicated design rights they bought/obtained from SwampWorks Inc. I would also ask him if MEANCYCLES is offering any warranty and company backing in the event the Swing Arm malfunctions, or turns up any defects in the future. That is exactly what SwampWorks provided, in terms of service/support after the sale. If it is in fact the same 2-Piece Swing Arm Design originally created by SwampWorks Inc, it is a FABULOUS Swing Arm, and it is worth it not to give up hope just yet. Frankly, after reviewing the cost listed on their website, I think MEANCYCLES has formed a monopoly surrounding their 2-Piece Swing Arm, and as a result, has overpriced their cost for the Swing Arm, because they know there's absolutely no competition out there for them, as a distributor of M109R Swing Arms. There's absolutely no reason that Swing Arm should cost $1050.00.

#34 ·
The price sucks, but that’s just smart business on their part if they can sell them. Supply and demand. Now my issue is paying that much and it potentially needing modified. Even that wouldn’t be earth shattering if I was going black. It could then be modified and recoated. I would go chrome, which would not be able to be modified without messing it up. Bottom line is if im paying a premium price, that **** should fit perfect without needing modified in any way .

#37 ·
The price sucks, but that's just smart business on their part if they can sell them. Supply and demand. Now my issue is paying that much and it potentially needing modified. Even that wouldn't be earth shattering if I was going black. It could then be modified and recoated. I would go chrome, which would not be able to be modified without messing it up. Bottom line is if im paying a premium price, that **** should fit perfect without needing modified in any way .
I'm with you man, I wouldn't want to pay that price, then have to whack it up to make it work, as FuturR has said he had to do. That's what concerns me, that we have a guy fitting one now who has had issues with it. All claims to the contrary, he had to cut off parts and weld new parts on to make it work. That's a BIG NO-GO for me. I'm not necessarily planning on going 300, but just making removing and installing a ten inch 280 combo easier. And the possibility of going 300 if I choose would then be there.

#35 ·
I just spoke to JC, he was pretty open to his thoughts and the history behind these arms. He also seems willing to stand behind the product if something went wrong. Just wanted to put that out there since there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

#48 ·
All the information in this post was excellent. I do have a question though. Since I changed my mind now about the 300 setup. Which swingarm for the 280 setup is the preferred choice? Also where is the best place to purchase it? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#49 ·
Plenty of us here have a ten inch rim with a 280 on it using the stock swingarm. It's not an issue. A little hard to get the rim/tire in there. but there is a youtube video showing exactly how to do it.

I had planned on buying one of these swingarms next year, not sure I will now. Maybe the one-piece is a better option? I understand it's still easier getting the tire in that than the stock one.

Attachments

#50 ·
Plenty of us here have a ten inch rim with a 280 on it using the stock swingarm. It's not an issue. A little hard to get the rim/tire in there. but there is a youtube video showing exactly how to do it.

I had planned on buying one of these swingarms next year, not sure I will now. Maybe the one-piece is a better option? I understand it's still easier getting the tire in that than the stock one.
I noticed many people have it set up like you. But I am so interested in getting the custom swingarm for the looks and for the ease of tire changing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#58 ·
I took a leap of faith today and ordered the cyclehouse chrome tubular. I will know in 4 weeks or so how the fitment and quality are. 🤞
BP, I don't mean to discourage you with what I'm about to state here, but I'll be extremely surprised if you don't have to do make some modifications to the CycleHouse Tubular 300 Swing Arm, because "everyone" I've ever conversed with, who purchased the same Swing Arm, emphatically stated they had to grind down or grind away at the inside of the Swing Arm where the edge of the 300 tire was rubbing. I find that be extremely disturbing, if the Swing Arm is purchased with a chrome finish, because I'm concerned as to what will happen to the overall chrome once some of it has been grinded away in one or two particular areas on the Swing Arm? In addition, the cost of the product is a lot to pay, and then have to basically damage the chrome (which is part of the exorbitant cost) in order to make the tire fit properly. My hope for you is that CycleHouse has address this issue, and made the slight change to prevent the problem for new purchasing customers. This has been a long-standing issue (10+ years) with this particular Swing Arm, and you would think the company would have taken the initiative to fix the issue by now.

#59 ·
Well, I’m not grinding on a chrome arm for sure. So if it turns out it doesn’t work, I guess I will see how good JC’s customer service is, because it will be going back.

I have read all of the threads I could find on this topic since last sept when I started to think about doing this mod. I have also went back and forth on which arm I wanted , this one or the two piece. I opted for the one I liked better visually, although I liked the idea of the two piece. After reading thread after thread I came to the conclusion that some people got lucky and had no issues with either version, and some people didn’t and had a variety of issues with either version. Trust me, none of the research I did made me feel great about the prospect. The fact that pretty much all of the two piece I’ve read about were the swampworks ones didn’t help me a bit when it comes to what’s available now. Granted it’s based on the same arm, but based on the same arm and actually being the same arm (same company making them) are two different things.

I really wanted to go with the metzler, but all I’ve read points to much more work making it fit over the Avon. Also, my RC wheels are 10” wide, some others are 10.5”. I could be absolutely wrong, but I’m thinking that may require a little less work.....who knows.

Again.....leap of faith. I’ve been good the last year or so, karma might swing my way! 🙂

#60 ·
Well, I'm not grinding on a chrome arm for sure. So if it turns out it doesn't work, I guess I will see how good JC's customer service is, because it will be going back.

I have read all of the threads I could find on this topic since last sept when I started to think about doing this mod. I have also went back and forth on which arm I wanted , this one or the two piece. I opted for the one I liked better visually, although I liked the idea of the two piece. After reading thread after thread I came to the conclusion that some people got lucky and had no issues with either version, and some people didn't and had a variety of issues with either version. Trust me, none of the research I did made me feel great about the prospect. The fact that pretty much all of the two piece I've read about were the swampworks ones didn't help me a bit when it comes to what's available now. Granted it's based on the same arm, but based on the same arm and actually being the same arm (same company making them) are two different things.

I really wanted to go with the metzler, but all I've read points to much more work making it fit over the Avon. Also, my RC wheels are 10" wide, some others are 10.5". I could be absolutely wrong, but I'm thinking that may require a little less work.....who knows.

Again.....leap of faith. I've been good the last year or so, karma might swing my way! 🙂
Hopefully, going with the Avon 300 tire will give you the clearance you need, preventing any mods to the chrome Swing Arm. It's apparent that you've done your due diligence in researching the subject, and I truly hope it works out just fine BP.

Keep us posted. 😊✋👍✋😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.