Meancycles 300 arm options - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meancycles 300 arm options

Very Active Member

Well, I finally went through with this. I’ll update the thread on fitment once I get time to throw it on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	E6028BEC-F3AD-4CC1-A8C2-F54880B8086F_1557610455818.jpg†
Views:	32†
Size:	32.4 KB†
ID:	383716

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Good luck BP. I hope everything works out just fine.

Very Active Member

Ok, so its been awhile, but I thought I would take the time to update my experience with my 300 arm so others can have some real life feedback. I went with the Cycle House tubular from MC in chrome. I'll break this down in a few parts.

Fitment: fitment was spot on. No issues at all with the fitment. The 300 Avon fits perfect with no rubbing issue. The arm came with the spacer and two different size washers (shims) in the event you need to shim it over to the left a bit. My RC wheels with the 300 fit with no shims and factory spacer.

Issues: I call these issues, but they were more of a PITA than an issue.

1) The arm didn't come with the hardware initially. JC fixed this immediately and sent me the hardware the day I called him. They rushed to get the arm out to me the day they got it from the chromer, the lack of hardware was just an oversight. No big deal. However, when I got the hardware it was missing the set screws for the swingarm pivot and the axle nut cap. The manufacturer then sent me two sets, one metric and one standard size because they weren't sure of which ones this arm had. How you make an arm and don't know what size set screws it takes is beyond me. Long story short, neither set they sent me fit. I found what I needed at ACE Hardware. A few stainless screws and $3 later I was good.

2) The stock bolt that goes through the shock mount on the arm is too long. These bolts are partial threaded bolts. The mount on the new arm is narrower than the stock mount, which results in about 1/2" of unthreaded bolt sticking out so you cant tighten it up. You can put washers in there, but you end up with like 6 washers. I went to my local Fastenal store to try to find what I need. The problem is partially threaded bolts have a standard minimum amount of partial section. In order to get the amount of partial thread I needed, I had to go with a bolt that was too long. I ended up finding one that would work, and cut it down to the shorter length I needed. Worked out perfectly.

Again, these "issues" were just more of a PITA than anything. When you pay this much for a swingarm you shouldn't have to run around and source your own hardware. It would be such a small cost and effort for the manufacturer to do this and include the proper hardware its ridiculous for them not to do so. From reading old posts, when these arms were marketed and sold by DLP, they came with all of the hardware needed out of the gate.

Overall satisfaction:

The arm fit great, and looks great. If it would have came with the hardware I would have nothing negative to say about it. If your'e thinking about getting one, I would say go for it. I can tell you exactly what hardware you need to get. It'll cost you less than $10 and I can save you the guess work.

JC's customer service was great, as it has been with everything Iv'e purchased from MC. The only thing I will say, when selling these arms, there should be a higher level of knowledge and communication between MC and Cyclehouse on whats needed with the hardware.

I'll post up pics soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I’m glad it all worked out well for you Bigpapa, but your experience is the number one gripe and discontentment I have with these aftermarket parts manufacturers. There’s always some sort of issues with their products, with which the customer is left to try to resolve, after having already paid an exorbitant price for the product. It never fails. They expect full payment for their parts, but give you either a half-baked product, incomplete or incorrect accessories, and/or a bunch of excuses as to why you didn’t receive the product you paid for accurately the first time...all of which points back to very poor Q/A by the manufacturer and the distributor. It proves one thing for sure...they care primarily about getting the consumer’s money, and much less about providing a high-quality, well and accurately manufactured product that’s not grossly overpriced.

By the way, can you post some pics of your bike, so we can see how it looks now that your current mods have been installed?

Very Active Member

Pics will come soon. I’m down to the last few details of my Mis timed winter project. I’ll take pics of the finished product.

I’ve put a plethora of aftermarket parts on this bike in the last 6 months. Unfortunately very few bolt right on with zero work. But I agree with you, the homework should be done before it’s on the market.

Sounds good, and WOW!!! I canít wait to see what youíve done. 😁👍👍👍😁

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I agree about the highly priced products should be much easier to install without modifications. But I do love to figure out how to make things work properly that the engineers have screwed up. I'm in construction, do all my own work on all vehicles since I was in my early teens and constantly shake my head at why the F engineers can actually design products without actually having any hands on experience.

Whatís the even worse is...too many engineers spend countless hours on designing something, and then fail to test, test, test, and then test to analyze and ultimately insure the accuracy of their designs...especially some of the clown-manufacturers that make some of the aftermarkets for our 9s.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Whatís the even worse is...too many engineers spend countless hours on designing something, and then fail to test, test, test, and then test to analyze and ultimately insure the accuracy of their designs...especially some of the clown-manufacturers that make some of the aftermarkets for our 9s.
    LOL. No test even ounce. Looks great on AutoCad and the math works out but no consideration on how it actually works to be able to replace the parts berried behind everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    ... I only use the Avon 300 tire as it fits the best and rubs the least the meztzler doesn't fit and rubs more...
    I've been reading through this thread with interest not because I want a 300 but because of the lengths some are willing to go to for a little fatter rear tire. This part of your reply captured my attention. So even after all the $$ for a new arm, and the labor to install it, a 300 still rubs?

For the record, my next tire will most likely be a 260 on the stock rim. It will be a little bit wider than the stock 240 - not much - but will have a rounder profile which should improve cornering imho.
    Anyone got thoughts on that either way - I'm interested
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, more to come

Very Active Member

It doesn’t rub at all, that response wasn’t from me. I have as much room as I did with my 280 on the stock arm, probably a hair more. We are talking mm’s though.

As far as the money spent for a little more tire, it is what it is. Do we need to spend it, especially coming from a 280, nope. But did I need to spend money on a 23” front wheel, a 6 degree rake, a sumo rear fender, led lights, etc, etc. you get the picture. none of that stuff was needed, just wanted to take it a notch higher. It’s the game of customizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    I've been reading through this thread with interest not because I want a 300 but because of the lengths some are willing to go to for a little fatter rear tire. This part of your reply captured my attention. So even after all the $$ for a new arm, and the labor to install it, a 300 still rubs?

For the record, my next tire will most likely be a 260 on the stock rim. It will be a little bit wider than the stock 240 - not much - but will have a rounder profile which should improve cornering imho.
    I’ll be the first to admit that it’s pretty costly to modify a 9 from its stock 240 setup to a 300 setup, and it can be a bit of a hassle to get everything to come together with all of the aftermarket and modded-stock parts required. Of course it’s not necessary to have the “300 look” on our 9s...and it is just that...a look. However, it’s about the choice some of us have made to modify our 9s in that manner. The 300 setup is by no means a performance upgrade from the stock 240 setup. It’s nothing more than a desired look that we want for our bikes. We know in advance there’s a possibility that getting it all setup could be more than we bargained for, but we were willing to take the chance anyway. Personally, I love the ride and feel of my 9 with the 300 rear & 160 front combination, and Arnott Air Ride System working in unison. My 300 setup doesn’t rub, and I’m running the widest 300 tire out there...the METZELER 300/35/R18. Nonetheless, it was a lot of work that went into making it all work. Thank God I had someone who could do the work for me.

As for a 260 tire improving the cornering abilities of your 9 over a stock size 240 tire, merely based on the 260 having a more rounded profile...I don’t think that could be any further from the truth. Typically, cornering is diminished by the use of wider tires than the stock size spec’d tires for a given bike, regardless if the larger tire is more rounded.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 AM.

I'm loving the 280 on mine on a ten inch rim. Don't know if I'll ever deviate from that. Maybe? It corners just as well as it ever did on a 240 or 250, and it's worn all the way over to the border of the sidewall/tread area. It's a great combo.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    It doesnít rub at all, that response wasnít from me. I have as much room as I did with my 280 on the stock arm, probably a hair more. We are talking mmís though.

As far as the money spent for a little more tire, it is what it is. Do we need to spend it, especially coming from a 280, nope. But did I need to spend money on a 23Ē front wheel, a 6 degree rake, a sumo rear fender, led lights, etc, etc. you get the picture. none of that stuff was needed, just wanted to take it a notch higher. Itís the game of customizing.
    Yeah I get it. My comment wasn't intended in a negative way whatsoever. In fact, there may be a market for a talented designer/fabricator who can come up with a functional safe new design, since all the options out there seem to have an issue of some sort. Would it even be possible to do a single sided swingarm of some sort? I know they exist, but don't know the physics of it
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, more to come

Iíll be the first to admit that itís pretty costly to modify a 9 from its stock 240 setup to a 300 setup, and it can be a bit of a hassle to get everything to come together with all of the aftermarket and modded-stock parts required. Of course itís not necessary to have the ď300 lookĒ on our 9s...and it is just that...a look. However, itís about the choice some of us have made to modify our 9s in that manner. The 300 setup is by no means a performance upgrade from the stock 240 setup. Itís nothing more than a desired look that we want for our bikes. We know in advance thereís a possibility that getting it all setup could be more than we bargained for, but we were willing to take the chance anyway. Personally, I love the ride and feel of my 9 with the 300 rear & 160 front combination, and Arnott Air Ride System working in unison. My 300 setup doesnít rub, and Iím running the widest 300 tire out there...the METZELER 300/35/R18. Nonetheless, it was a lot of work that went into making it all work. Thank God I had someone who could do the work for me.

As for a 260 tire improving the cornering abilities of your 9 over a stock size 240 tire, merely based on the 260 having a more rounded profile...I donít think that could be any further from the truth. Typically, cornering is diminished by the use of wider tires than the stock size specíd tires for a given bike, regardless if the larger tire is more rounded.
    People that push the limits successfully are how new norms come about. It's a good thing. Much respect to those that step outside the box.

Regarding tire profiles, I have a Honda Fury that comes with a 200 on a 6.5" rim. I mounted up a 240 which gets squeezed compared to the 240 on the 9's 8" rim so it's not as wide but more rounded, and the Fury definitely turns better on it than it did on the stock tire. That may or may not be function of the tire itself, I can't say.

Yeah I get it. My comment wasn't intended in a negative way whatsoever. In fact, there may be a market for a talented designer/fabricator who can come up with a functional safe new design, since all the options out there seem to have an issue of some sort. Would it even be possible to do a single sided swingarm of some sort? I know they exist, but don't know the physics of it
    I donít think it would be possible (from a safety perspective) to build a single-sided Swing Arm for the 9, with a shaft drive operation. The single-sided Swing Arm has already been done on the 9, but the builder had to switch to a belt drive.

People that push the limits successfully are how new norms come about. It's a good thing. Much respect to those that step outside the box.

Regarding tire profiles, I have a Honda Fury that comes with a 200 on a 6.5" rim. I mounted up a 240 which gets squeezed compared to the 240 on the 9's 8" rim so it's not as wide but more rounded, and the Fury definitely turns better on it than it did on the stock tire. That may or may not be function of the tire itself, I can't say.
    I have a 9 with a 280 rear and 160 front, and a 9 with a 300 rear and 160 front. The 9 with the 280 is more nimble in curves and twisties than the 9 with the 300. Moreover, both of them were much more nimble and I could throw them around much better when they had a 240 and 250 size tire on them, respectively, before all of the rear wheel/tire mods.

Think of about this for a minute. MotoGP Racers probably ride the most perfect and high-performance bikes in existence. For every race class, the bikes are outfitted with certain size tires to provide the best performance for maneuvering in and out of the most aggressive curves and twisties one could ever imagine. As the bikes in each class increase in size and power, so does the size of tires. If your theory is true, why do we not see 240 or larger tires on the largest (MotoGP Super Bike Class) bikes on the circuit? How well would a GSX-R1000 (which we now see often on the streets) perform on that circuit with a 240, 280, or 300 rear tire?

I think the theory that a wider tire on the 9 provides better maneuvering in curves and twisties is very much like the theory that the various aftermarket exhausts most of have installed on our bikes noticeably increases horsepower, torque, output, or whatever else has been reported. What I believe is that with most of us, we have the propensity to over exaggerate, or imagine some of our mods have improved the performance of the bike, when it actually has not.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 1 Week Ago at 08:14 AM.

... For the record, my next tire will most likely be a 260 on the stock rim. It will be a little bit wider than the stock 240 - not much - but will have a rounder profile which should improve cornering imho.
    My 2Ę, because you asked. I go with the numbers when it comes to tires. I like to try to ensure the ratios and dimensions stay as true as possible to stock, trusting the bike was designed around them for a reason. With 240/40 in mind then - 250/40 is close (+2.6% sidewall, +1.2% diameter), 260/40 is dramatically different (+7.9% sidewall, +2.3% dia), but then on the proper 10" rim (I would not be comfortable on the stock 8.5" rim but some are), 280/35 is nearly identical to stock dimensions, except wider of course (+2.6% sidewall and only +0.4% dia).

So basically, 250/40 is the largest safe option for me personally on a stock rim, but if I got new 10" rims, 280/35 would be my choice without hesitation as it fits without modifications. There is a similar math for front wheels, 130 to 160.
    YMMV.

Very Active Member

to have a discussion about performance and 300 in the same breath is counterproductive. Its for looks and can handle "ok" specifically with the right rider. I doubt you will meet anyone that says they went 300 for performance, hell even 280. I came from the sport bike world. I remember having an internal debate about going 240 on my Busa. Kinda comical now that I have the 300. I would have never even thought about it on my GSXR1000 or my ZX10R. They were set up for 100% performance, the Busa was more laid out.

I have a 9 with a 280 rear and 160 front, and a 9 with a 300 rear and 160 front. The 9 with the 280 is more nimble in curves and twisties than the 9 with the 300. Moreover, both of them were much more nimble and I could throw them around much better when they had a 240 and 250 size tire on them, respectively, before all of the rear wheel/tire mods.

Think of about this for a minute. MotoGP Racers probably ride the most perfect and high-performance bikes in existence. For every race class, the bikes are outfitted with certain size tires to provide the best performance for maneuvering in and out of the most aggressive curves and twisties one could ever imagine. As the bikes in each class increase in size and power, so does the size of tires. If your theory is true, why do we not see 240 or larger tires on the largest (MotoGP Super Bike Class) bikes on the circuit? How well would a GSX-R1000 (which we now see often on the streets) perform on that circuit with a 240, 280, or 300 rear tire?

I think the theory that a wider tire on the 9 provides better maneuvering in curves and twisties is very much like the theory that the various aftermarket exhausts most of have installed on our bikes noticeably increases horsepower, torque, output, or whatever else has been reported. What I believe is that with most of us, we have the propensity to over exaggerate, or imagine some of our mods have improved the performance of the bike, when it actually has not.
    I don't think wider tires enhance maneuverability - that's not what I"m saying. To hyperbolate for clarity, imagine a wide flat car tire on the back of your bike vs a narrow motorcycle tire. Obviously the bike will lean more easily, and more accurately with the thin rounded tire. However there's a lot to be said for the size of the contact patch at any given lean angle, hence wider tires. So the answer is "what is the best compromise"
    Let's be realistic, anyone coming from the sportbike world would say the 109 is a pig in the corners and rightfully so. It's not intended as a cornering king. Hop on a 600cc sportbike with good tires if you want to know what that feels like in the twisties. Hence the reason people put 300's on the rear. They don't expect handling finesse from this bike but want the look. I've been riding for 46 years, the majority of that on liter class sportbikes, plus 2 Busa's, a ZX14R etc. I know all about handling. I"m not saying my Fury became a corner carver with a 240 instsalled, just saying it handles better. I'd let ya ride it if you were here lol

I don't think wider tires enhance maneuverability - that's not what I"m saying. To hyperbolate for clarity, imagine a wide flat car tire on the back of your bike vs a narrow motorcycle tire. Obviously the bike will lean more easily, and more accurately with the thin rounded tire. However there's a lot to be said for the size of the contact patch at any given lean angle, hence wider tires. So the answer is "what is the best compromise"
    Let's be realistic, anyone coming from the sportbike world would say the 109 is a pig in the corners and rightfully so. It's not intended as a cornering king. Hop on a 600cc sportbike with good tires if you want to know what that feels like in the twisties. Hence the reason people put 300's on the rear. They don't expect handling finesse from this bike but want the look. I've been riding for 46 years, the majority of that on liter class sportbikes, plus 2 Busa's, a ZX14R etc. I know all about handling. I"m not saying my Fury became a corner carver with a 240 instsalled, just saying it handles better. I'd let ya ride it if you were here lol
    What youíre failing to consider or possibly understand is that ultimate tire performance has very little to nothing to do with wider tires having more contact area space, and more to do with tire compound combined with correct tire width. That is the very reason that track-ridden sport bikes have narrow but yet very sticky tires, with very little to no tread at all, that provide traction like no street tire ever could or ever will. Moreover, car tires shouldnít ever be mentioned when talking motorcycles. They just have no place in the conversation (IMHO), when it comes to cornering and curve performance. Thereís a reason theyíre called car tires...they were made specifically for cars, not bikes.👍 But, thatís not the issue here anyway.

As for knowing what itís like to ride the twisties, I also come from sport bikes, and Iíve been riding for 45 years. I started at the age of 10. I also have some ďyearsĒ of actual road/track racing as a novice racer, which is really where I honed my riding skills. I was trained by some very astute professional riders/trainers on two of the most popular and aggressive tracks in Germany...The Nurburgring and Hockenheim Race Tracks in particular. I raced/rode mostly at the Hockenheim Track, because it was nearest and very close to where I lived in Mannheim, Germany. Not to toot my own horn, but I believe I have a very healthy level of knowledge and experience when it comes to handling as well. My list of past sport bikes include...ZX6-R, ZX-9R, ZX-12R, and ZX14-R. Iím also very aware of the differences between the M109R and Sport Bikes. Iíve had three M109Rs and currently still own two of them. One has a 280 on a 10Ē rear wheel & a 160/60 on a stock 3.5Ē front wheel, and the other has a 300 on a 10Ē rear wheel & a 160/60 on a 4.25Ē front wheel. I bought my first M109R in 2008, and Iíve had one every since. So, I think Iím very familiar with the handling capacity of the M109R at this point.

I appreciate your offer to allow me to test ride your Fury, but I wouldnít do that even if I were there. I donít ride otherís bikes, and I donít let them ride mine. Nevertheless, if you feel your bike handles better with a wider tire thatís all that matters at the end of the day. We obviously have two very different perspectives on the subject, but at least we can agree to disagree. 😊👍

Very Active Member

Anyhow, the 300 arm fits good.....lol

Youíre right BP...and thatís really what this thread was all about. I got a bit sidetracked by the sidebar discussion topic. I apologize my brother. ☺️✋☺️

Score!!