Meancycles 300 arm options - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meancycles 300 arm options

Quote Originally Posted by pjs View Post
    What exactly do you wana do i have a metzler 280 on mine and i used sumo x and didnt have to change swing arm at all with 10in rim i got mine directly from kurt at sumo-x he painted my bike
    The OP is wanting to go to a 300 rear tire setup. That canít be accomplished without going to an aftermarket 300 Swing Arm and modifying the rear inner fender. The 280 setup you have on your 9 is is nice, and many are running with that setup. The brand of wheel is used doesnít matter, as long as the wheel is made to fit an M109R. Changing the Swing Arm is not required when running any brand 10Ē wheel made to fit an M109R with a 280 rear tire mounted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Yeah, I currently have a 10” wheel with the 280 metzler. Was just looking to go to the 300 with aftermarket arm. Starting to wonder if it’s worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    Yeah, I currently have a 10Ē wheel with the 280 metzler. Was just looking to go to the 300 with aftermarket arm. Starting to wonder if itís worth it.
    Don't throw in the towel yet BP. If I were you, I would try contacting JC at MEANCYCLES and have him provide you information to confirm the 2-Piece Swing Arm his company is now selling for use on the M109R is being manufactured by Cycle House from the exact, 100% duplicated design rights they bought/obtained from SwampWorks Inc. I would also ask him if MEANCYCLES is offering any warranty and company backing in the event the Swing Arm malfunctions, or turns up any defects in the future. That is exactly what SwampWorks provided, in terms of service/support after the sale. If it is in fact the same 2-Piece Swing Arm Design originally created by SwampWorks Inc, it is a FABULOUS Swing Arm, and it is worth it not to give up hope just yet. Frankly, after reviewing the cost listed on their website, I think MEANCYCLES has formed a monopoly surrounding their 2-Piece Swing Arm, and as a result, has overpriced their cost for the Swing Arm, because they know thereís absolutely no competition out there for them, as a distributor of M109R Swing Arms. Thereís absolutely no reason that Swing Arm should cost $1050.00.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

The price sucks, but that’s just smart business on their part if they can sell them. Supply and demand. Now my issue is paying that much and it potentially needing modified. Even that wouldn’t be earth shattering if I was going black. It could then be modified and recoated. I would go chrome, which would not be able to be modified without messing it up. Bottom line is if im paying a premium price, that **** should fit perfect without needing modified in any way .

Very Active Member

I just spoke to JC, he was pretty open to his thoughts and the history behind these arms. He also seems willing to stand behind the product if something went wrong. Just wanted to put that out there since there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

I just spoke to JC, he was pretty open to his thoughts and the history behind these arms. He also seems willing to stand behind the product if something went wrong. Just wanted to put that out there since there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.
    Ask for that Guarantee in writing to cover shipping both ways in case of a defective part then it might be worth the PREMIUM PRICE tag!

The price sucks, but thatís just smart business on their part if they can sell them. Supply and demand. Now my issue is paying that much and it potentially needing modified. Even that wouldnít be earth shattering if I was going black. It could then be modified and recoated. I would go chrome, which would not be able to be modified without messing it up. Bottom line is if im paying a premium price, that **** should fit perfect without needing modified in any way .
    I'm with you man, I wouldn't want to pay that price, then have to whack it up to make it work, as FuturR has said he had to do. That's what concerns me, that we have a guy fitting one now who has had issues with it. All claims to the contrary, he had to cut off parts and weld new parts on to make it work. That's a BIG NO-GO for me. I'm not necessarily planning on going 300, but just making removing and installing a ten inch 280 combo easier. And the possibility of going 300 if I choose would then be there.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Ask for that Guarantee in writing to cover shipping both ways in case of a defective part then it might be worth the PREMIUM PRICE tag!
    ^^^^ My sentiments exactly. He SHOULD get JC to provide the guarantee you articulated in writing via email, or in a typed letter mailed to his address prior to making the purchase.

The price sucks, but thatís just smart business on their part if they can sell them. Supply and demand. Now my issue is paying that much and it potentially needing modified. Even that wouldnít be earth shattering if I was going black. It could then be modified and recoated. I would go chrome, which would not be able to be modified without messing it up. Bottom line is if im paying a premium price, that **** should fit perfect without needing modified in any way .
    No BP, smart business is not gouging customerís pockets with excessive pricing, simply because you have the market cornered. The reality of business is that a company will only have a leg up in a given market for a short while before other competitors eventually enter the market with an improved product at a lesser cost. Therefore, if you have gouged consumers with pricing while you had an anomaly on a product you will definitely lose a ton of business when new entrants to the market manifest themselves and their new products, providing they have a quality product to offer. Smart business is to bring a new product to market that is tried, tested, true (through R&D), and priced reasonably so as to attract many new and future potential consumers, who are NOT excessively concerned or doubtful about the quality, accuracy, dependability, and validity of the new product. This is basic business acumen, as Iím a business major who over the last 3.5 years has obtained a BBA with a 3.918 GPA and an MBA with a 3.975 GPA. Iím not trying to toot my own horn here. I just provided that info to let you know Iím qualified and educated to make the statements Iím making, without them being ďjust my opinions.Ē Put simply, JC is not a bad guy at all, but he and MEANCYCLES is definitely using the wrong approach/method/manner/strategy to introducing their new Swing Arm products to the market. The most impactful reasons SwampWorks had so much success with the sales of their Swing Arm was because they were manufactured with quality and accuracy, were priced reasonably ($650.00 to $750.00), and information about the product was publicized, published, and disseminated in communication circles where many M109R owners frequented. It resulted in an explosion of sales, as soon as the product was available for purchase.

First and foremost, if the Swing Arm needs to be modified to fit you have a huge problem right out of the gate. Secondly, the very first thing to do upon receipt of the product is to have it test fitted to find out if it has been manufactured to spec for accuracy of fit. Obviously, prior to the purchase you should get in writing that you will be allowed to send it back at the expense of MEANCYCLES for a full refund if it doesnít fit perfectly without ANY sort of modifications.

Very Active Member

Ok then .......

Quote Originally Posted by pjs View Post
    What exactly do you wana do i have a metzler 280 on mine and i used sumo x and didnt have to change swing arm at all with 10in rim i got mine directly from kurt at sumo-x he painted my bike
    10 inch rim and a 280 with stock swing arm has always worked.....

Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post
    10 inch rim and a 280 with stock swing arm has always worked.....
    As long as you like Metzeler tires that is a good option. If anyone wants Avon, they have to go with a 300 swingarm and modify the inner fender. I’m running a 280 Metzeler, but I have the 2piece swingarm and I’ve already modified the inner fender. That way I always have options. Options are good. What happens if Metzeler decides to quit making a 280, or if they redesign it and their 280 ends up being closer to a 300 in width? Kind of like Dunlop’s 250 being more like a 260 - 265 width tire. If that ever happens, your only options will be to either get the 300 swing arm and mod the inner fender, go back to stock width wheel on the rear, or hope another manufacturer sees and fills the gap by making a 280.

That was the determining factor in why I did the mods for a 300 when I did my build, even tho I knew I would be running a 280 for my first 2 rear tires. After that, I have options.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 09-27-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    As long as you like Metzeler tires that is a good option. If anyone wants Avon, they have to go with a 300 swingarm and modify the inner fender. Iím running a 280 Metzeler, but I have the 2piece swingarm and Iíve already modified the inner fender. That way I always have options. Options are good. What happens if Metzeler decides to quit making a 280, or if they redesign it and their 280 ends up being closer to a 300 in width? Kind of like Dunlopís 250 being more like a 260 - 265 width tire. If that ever happens, your only options will be to either get the 300 swing arm and mod the inner fender, go back to stock width wheel on the rear, or hope another manufacturer sees and fills the gap by making a 280.

That was the determining factor in why I did the mods for a 300 when I did my build, even tho I knew I would be running a 280 for my first 2 rear tires. After that, I have options.
    That was very smart of you P. Although that was not my motive or approach to going with the 300 2-Piece Swing Arm, Modded Inner Fender, and 300 METZELER Tire on a 10Ē rear wheel, Iím glad I have those options in the event something like you described actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    That was very smart of you P. Although that was not my motive or approach to going with the 300 2-Piece Swing Arm, Modded Inner Fender, and 300 METZELER Tire on a 10Ē rear wheel, Iím glad I have those options in the event something like you described actually happens.
    It probably seems like a smarter idea than the way it actually happened. I ordered the wheels and tires first. 160/280 combo. Saw the 2 piece swing arm and thought it would be a good idea to make tire changes easier. At that point I figured if Iím going to have it torn down that far, I should look at air ride. It was around that time that I started thinking about options. Figured if I go ahead and do the inner fender while it was torn down, I would be all set for any 280 or 300 I wanted to run in the future. It was more a result of my mod disease than a motive for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    It probably seems like a smarter idea than the way it actually happened. I ordered the wheels and tires first. 160/280 combo. Saw the 2 piece swing arm and thought it would be a good idea to make tire changes easier. At that point I figured if Iím going to have it torn down that far, I should look at air ride. It was around that time that I started thinking about options. Figured if I go ahead and do the inner fender while it was torn down, I would be all set for any 280 or 300 I wanted to run in the future. It was more a result of my mod disease than a motive for doing it.
    Well, I admire your modesty P, but you were at least thinking beyond your initial plan. Each stage of your breakdown led you to being proactive in an accomplishing other mods that would ultimately allow you to have options going forward. The culmination of all your decisions resulted in producing a beautiful bike.

Your 9 is FANTABULOUS Bro! 😁👍🏆👍😁

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Well, I admire your modesty P, but you were at least thinking beyond your initial plan. Each stage of your breakdown led you to being proactive in an accomplishing other mods that would ultimately allow you to have options going forward. The culmination of all your decisions resulted in producing a beautiful bike.

Your 9 is FANTABULOUS Bro! 😁👍🏆👍😁
    Thanks !

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Ditto

Amazing bike

All the information in this post was excellent. I do have a question though. Since I changed my mind now about the 300 setup. Which swingarm for the 280 setup is the preferred choice? Also where is the best place to purchase it? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Plenty of us here have a ten inch rim with a 280 on it using the stock swingarm. It's not an issue. A little hard to get the rim/tire in there. but there is a youtube video showing exactly how to do it.

I had planned on buying one of these swingarms next year, not sure I will now. Maybe the one-piece is a better option? I understand it's still easier getting the tire in that than the stock one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg†
Views:	9†
Size:	49.4 KB†
ID:	380098
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Plenty of us here have a ten inch rim with a 280 on it using the stock swingarm. It's not an issue. A little hard to get the rim/tire in there. but there is a youtube video showing exactly how to do it.

I had planned on buying one of these swingarms next year, not sure I will now. Maybe the one-piece is a better option? I understand it's still easier getting the tire in that than the stock one.
    I noticed many people have it set up like you. But I am so interested in getting the custom swingarm for the looks and for the ease of tire changing.

Quote Originally Posted by mann75 View Post
    I noticed many people have it set up like you. But I am so interested in getting the custom swingarm for the looks and for the ease of tire changing.

As I said, I am too. I am just unsure if either of these swingarms are worth purchasing at the prices they are asking. And the issue of them not working out-of-the-box, needing modifications to make them work.

But both are available at Mean Cycles.

Two piece Cycle House. $1050.95. http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?PartID=229922

One piece Cycle House. $999.95. http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=213403

No mention of this one though. It's labeled as a two piece custom pointy 300/310 swingarm. Doomsday Machines. $1850. http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=228879

What about this one, Sumo X? This one is a remanufactured stock arm, so no doubt about it fitting. Also $749.95. Also has a ten year warranty. Nice! http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=228829
    Last edited by cbxer55; 09-29-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    As I said, I am too. I am just unsure if either of these swingarms are worth purchasing at the prices they are asking. And the issue of them not working out-of-the-box, needing modifications to make them work.

But both are available at Mean Cycles.

Two piece http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?PartID=229922

One piece http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=213403
    I hear you, choices I have to make. Sheez why couldn't our problem.s just be solved. Lol thanks for the info

I hear you, choices I have to make. Sheez why couldn't our problem.s just be solved. Lol thanks for the info

I posted two more swingarms to my post above. Check them out.

That Sumo X is the only one that mentions a warranty, 10 years. Might be the one I go with. If they're willing to warranty it for ten years, I'd be willing to bet it's a good one.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 09-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

IMHO,

280 on 10" rim setup is very easy install on OEM swing arm (even if you have to remove exhaust),

but looking at your album you only might need to remove the Scorpion Tips.

So if it is a chrome look you are after, this would be your most reasonable option:

http://www.simmonsmotorworks.com/cat...10/8482258.htm
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    IMHO,

280 on 10" rim setup is very easy install on OEM swing arm (even if you have to remove exhaust),

but looking at your album you only might need to remove the Scorpion Tips.

So if it is a chrome look you are after, this would be your most reasonable option:

http://www.simmonsmotorworks.com/cat...10/8482258.htm
    Cool thanks

Very Active Member

I took a leap of faith today and ordered the cyclehouse chrome tubular. I will know in 4 weeks or so how the fitment and quality are. 🤞

Definitely keep us informed BP. Sooner or later, this Metzeler 280 is going to need replacing. If you don't have any problems, that'll be reassuring.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I took a leap of faith today and ordered the cyclehouse chrome tubular. I will know in 4 weeks or so how the fitment and quality are. 🤞
    BP, I donít mean to discourage you with what Iím about to state here, but Iíll be extremely surprised if you donít have to do make some modifications to the CycleHouse Tubular 300 Swing Arm, because ďeveryoneĒ Iíve ever conversed with, who purchased the same Swing Arm, emphatically stated they had to grind down or grind away at the inside of the Swing Arm where the edge of the 300 tire was rubbing. I find that be extremely disturbing, if the Swing Arm is purchased with a chrome finish, because Iím concerned as to what will happen to the overall chrome once some of it has been grinded away in one or two particular areas on the Swing Arm? In addition, the cost of the product is a lot to pay, and then have to basically damage the chrome (which is part of the exorbitant cost) in order to make the tire fit properly. My hope for you is that CycleHouse has address this issue, and made the slight change to prevent the problem for new purchasing customers. This has been a long-standing issue (10+ years) with this particular Swing Arm, and you would think the company would have taken the initiative to fix the issue by now.

Very Active Member

Well, I’m not grinding on a chrome arm for sure. So if it turns out it doesn’t work, I guess I will see how good JC’s customer service is, because it will be going back.

I have read all of the threads I could find on this topic since last sept when I started to think about doing this mod. I have also went back and forth on which arm I wanted , this one or the two piece. I opted for the one I liked better visually, although I liked the idea of the two piece. After reading thread after thread I came to the conclusion that some people got lucky and had no issues with either version, and some people didn’t and had a variety of issues with either version. Trust me, none of the research I did made me feel great about the prospect. The fact that pretty much all of the two piece I’ve read about were the swampworks ones didn’t help me a bit when it comes to what’s available now. Granted it’s based on the same arm, but based on the same arm and actually being the same arm (same company making them) are two different things.

I really wanted to go with the metzler, but all I’ve read points to much more work making it fit over the Avon. Also, my RC wheels are 10” wide, some others are 10.5”. I could be absolutely wrong, but I’m thinking that may require a little less work.....who knows.

Again.....leap of faith. I’ve been good the last year or so, karma might swing my way! 🙂

Well, Iím not grinding on a chrome arm for sure. So if it turns out it doesnít work, I guess I will see how good JCís customer service is, because it will be going back.

I have read all of the threads I could find on this topic since last sept when I started to think about doing this mod. I have also went back and forth on which arm I wanted , this one or the two piece. I opted for the one I liked better visually, although I liked the idea of the two piece. After reading thread after thread I came to the conclusion that some people got lucky and had no issues with either version, and some people didnít and had a variety of issues with either version. Trust me, none of the research I did made me feel great about the prospect. The fact that pretty much all of the two piece Iíve read about were the swampworks ones didnít help me a bit when it comes to whatís available now. Granted itís based on the same arm, but based on the same arm and actually being the same arm (same company making them) are two different things.

I really wanted to go with the metzler, but all Iíve read points to much more work making it fit over the Avon. Also, my RC wheels are 10Ē wide, some others are 10.5Ē. I could be absolutely wrong, but Iím thinking that may require a little less work.....who knows.

Again.....leap of faith. Iíve been good the last year or so, karma might swing my way! 🙂
    Hopefully, going with the Avon 300 tire will give you the clearance you need, preventing any mods to the chrome Swing Arm. Itís apparent that youíve done your due diligence in researching the subject, and I truly hope it works out just fine BP.

Keep us posted. 😊✋👍✋😊