Transmission worries - opinions please :)
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Transmission worries - opinions please :)

  1. #1

    Question Transmission worries - opinions please :)

    Hello,
    I bought an 08 109r2 this year with approx 17k on it. I came from a gsxr 1000 so was used to very smooth shifting and tons of power. I am finding my 109 makes a clunk shifting between 1 and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and a little between 3rd and 4th. I am less and less worried about this as 1st to 2nd is only smooth if shifted around 2500 rpm...and higher and I get a skipping crunchy sound if I don't miss the shift.
    Part of the attraction to this bike is the big off the line power and tall first gear that I can't use much of. Am I having the dreaded 2nd gear problem? Is there something that I can do to make my first to second gear shifts smooth especially at higher rpm or under heavier torque. If I can't use the power, I'm not sure I'm keeping her :(
    Thoughts?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Not sure if you read about these before you got one. 1st to 2nd clunk is there to stay and is something we all have to live with. I have read some posts from people back in the day when bike was new that they had it from day one. I haven't heard anyone who has not complained abt it and anyone who successfuly got rid of it. Mine on the other hand doesn't have a clunk from 2nd to 3rd. I did put the G-bushing inside and greased it a bit as some suggested after I noticed no improvement, but I can tell u that G-bushing is a waste of money and should be called G-bull**** . Doesn't make the shifting smooth and remove the clunk as it was advertised.

    Others please correct me if I'm wrong but this is something u need to live with or move on to another bike.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Hello,
    I bought an 08 109r2 this year with approx 17k on it. I came from a gsxr 1000 so was used to very smooth shifting and tons of power. I am finding my 109 makes a clunk shifting between 1 and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and a little between 3rd and 4th. I am less and less worried about this as 1st to 2nd is only smooth if shifted around 2500 rpm...and higher and I get a skipping crunchy sound if I don't miss the shift.
    Part of the attraction to this bike is the big off the line power and tall first gear that I can't use much of. Am I having the dreaded 2nd gear problem? Is there something that I can do to make my first to second gear shifts smooth especially at higher rpm or under heavier torque. If I can't use the power, I'm not sure I'm keeping her :(
    Thoughts?
    HOLD UP Drewdoug, there I still hope to resolve your clunk issue with gears 1-3. The device you need is called a Shift Star. I believe you can get it from MEANCYCLES these days. This device may not 100% eliminate the clunk, but it will greatly reduce it and it will make shifting through gears 1-3 feel like butter. I have one on my 08’ and it shifts extremely smooth compared to the shifting of my 07’ which does not have a Shift Star installed.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    HOLD UP Drewdoug, there I still hope to resolve your clunk issue with gears 1-3. The device you need is called a Shift Star. I believe you can get it from MEANCYCLES these days. This device may not 100% eliminate the clunk, but it will greatly reduce it and it will make shifting through gears 1-3 feel like butter. I have one on my 08’ and it shifts extremely smooth compared to the shifting of my 07’ which does not have a Shift Star installed.
    Any ideas where to find one? Few websites I looked at have it on backorder or say we don't carry it any more

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    Any ideas where to find one? Few websites I looked at have it on backorder or say we don't carry it any more

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately I don’t Mist82. When they were first introduced, they were being sold by a company named Direct Line Parts (DLP). I believe the product was manufactured by a company named Cycle House. Last I heard, both DLP and Cycle House are no longer in business...at least not under those respective names. I will say this, it’s worth it to place your order for a Shift Star with either of the company’s you found who have them on backorder, and that you feel most comfortable with. You will absolutely be 100% thankful that you waited for one to come in.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    Any ideas where to find one? Few websites I looked at have it on backorder or say we don't carry it any more

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/produ...umber=11100036

    http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900076748

    Here are 2 that dont say on back order. You might be able to get one from them.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  9. #7
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/produ...umber=11100036

    http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900076748

    Here are 2 that dont say on back order. You might be able to get one from them.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Oemcycle says not available/discontinued. The other one does have a link "where to buy from" which returns a red letter error page lol. I'll try to call them up and see if I can get this anywhere. Worth a try from what I just read Abt it.

    Btw both that u sent are for M bikes. Ours is a C. Would you know if these are the same for the C?

    Thanks guys

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Hello,
    I bought an 08 109r2 this year with approx 17k on it. I came from a gsxr 1000 so was used to very smooth shifting and tons of power. I am finding my 109 makes a clunk shifting between 1 and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and a little between 3rd and 4th. I am less and less worried about this as 1st to 2nd is only smooth if shifted around 2500 rpm...and higher and I get a skipping crunchy sound if I don't miss the shift.
    Part of the attraction to this bike is the big off the line power and tall first gear that I can't use much of. Am I having the dreaded 2nd gear problem? Is there something that I can do to make my first to second gear shifts smooth especially at higher rpm or under heavier torque. If I can't use the power, I'm not sure I'm keeping her :(
    Thoughts?
    Also if you are having that much trouble shifting look at these things also just to see if any apply to you.

    1) Warn or misadjusted shift linkage assemble.
    2) Motor Mounts (Known to go bad with less mileage than you have)
    3) Detente spring (if it seems like your shift lever is not returning to a center position and making it difficult to shift up and down)
    4) Check to see if the shift rod is hitting on the bottom of the engine case. (If it is check #1 & #2 again)

    BCS

  11. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    31

    Default Factory Pro Shift Star

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Hello,
    I bought an 08 109r2 this year with approx 17k on it. I came from a gsxr 1000 so was used to very smooth shifting and tons of power. I am finding my 109 makes a clunk shifting between 1 and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and a little between 3rd and 4th. I am less and less worried about this as 1st to 2nd is only smooth if shifted around 2500 rpm...and higher and I get a skipping crunchy sound if I don't miss the shift.
    Part of the attraction to this bike is the big off the line power and tall first gear that I can't use much of. Am I having the dreaded 2nd gear problem? Is there something that I can do to make my first to second gear shifts smooth especially at higher rpm or under heavier torque. If I can't use the power, I'm not sure I'm keeping her :(
    Thoughts?
    I have a 2007. I was shifting from 1st to 2nd at low power at 2500 RPM to avoid the "clunk ". Installed the " Factory Pro Shift Star ' from Mean Cycles with the stronger spring and I think that helped some. It wasn't a total cure for me. In my opinion, the true cure for me, assuming the gears haven't been damaged is 90% technique. I bought my bike last December and have put 7000 miles on it to date. Every ride practicing low power shifts and high power shifts. The clunky shifting is a thing of the past. I can accelerate at full power to 6500 RPMs in 1st gear, shift to 2nd cleanly and proceed thru the next gears smoothly. The secret for me was learning how to shift quickly the instant the throttle closed, the clutch comes in and the shift lever comes up. Shifting like you mean it with a little preload pressure on the shifter. Looking for the shift to occur the micro second that there is no forces on the gears. Shifting from 1st to 2nd should be down at a slow speed. If you have the touch to shift to neutral for a couple seconds before a final shift to 1st, that makes it pretty smooth. Took a lot of practice for me. Love this bike!

  12. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuk View Post
    I have a 2007. I was shifting from 1st to 2nd at low power at 2500 RPM to avoid the "clunk ". Installed the " Factory Pro Shift Star ' from Mean Cycles with the stronger spring and I think that helped some. It wasn't a total cure for me. In my opinion, the true cure for me, assuming the gears haven't been damaged is 90% technique. I bought my bike last December and have put 7000 miles on it to date. Every ride practicing low power shifts and high power shifts. The clunky shifting is a thing of the past. I can accelerate at full power to 6500 RPMs in 1st gear, shift to 2nd cleanly and proceed thru the next gears smoothly. The secret for me was learning how to shift quickly the instant the throttle closed, the clutch comes in and the shift lever comes up. Shifting like you mean it with a little preload pressure on the shifter. Looking for the shift to occur the micro second that there is no forces on the gears. Shifting from 1st to 2nd should be down at a slow speed. If you have the touch to shift to neutral for a couple seconds before a final shift to 1st, that makes it pretty smooth. Took a lot of practice for me. Love this bike!
    Not being able to easily use the tall and strong first gear for fear of destroying the transmission makes this amazing bike somewhat useless. I am used to sport bikes with more hp shifting at high rpms with no worries :(

    Do you use the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd at 6500 rpm or just synchro with a bit of preload?

    Cheers!

  13. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    HOLD UP Drewdoug, there I still hope to resolve your clunk issue with gears 1-3. The device you need is called a Shift Star. I believe you can get it from MEANCYCLES these days. This device may not 100% eliminate the clunk, but it will greatly reduce it and it will make shifting through gears 1-3 feel like butter. I have one on my 08’ and it shifts extremely smooth compared to the shifting of my 07’ which does not have a Shift Star installed.
    Thanks...I will look into installing this before moving to another bike :)

  14. #12
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Not being able to easily use the tall and strong first gear for fear of destroying the transmission makes this amazing bike somewhat useless. I am used to sport bikes with more hp shifting at high rpms with no worries :(

    Do you use the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd at 6500 rpm or just synchro with a bit of preload?

    Cheers!
    Some of us in the Central Florida group are starting to drag race our 9's and shift from 1st to 2nd between 6500 - 6800 RPM

    Then redline every other shift to near 7500 RPM.

    ECU's are flashed so STP limiter and RPM limiter are dealt with in the ECU so we are not banging off the limiters.

    I use my clutch when shifting.

    But you do have to shift from 1st to 2nd like you mean it......I have been know to miss this shift more than once and it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you do.

    BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 08-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.

  15. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Some of us in the Central Florida group are starting to drag race our 9's and shift from 1st to 2nd between 6500 - 6800 RPM

    Then redline every other shift to near 7500 RPM.

    ECU's are flashed so STP limiter and RPM limiter are dealt with in the ECU so we are not banging off the limiters.

    I use my clutch when shifting.

    But you do have to shift from 1st to 2nd like you mean it......I have been know to miss this shift more than once and it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you do.

    BCS

    Do you ever get the grinding or click/click/click sound shifting 1st to 2nd? To be honest that worries me more that the clunk. I can't believe Suzuki built such a beautiful bike that shifts this badly :(.

  16. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    31

    Default Always clutch for me

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Not being able to easily use the tall and strong first gear for fear of destroying the transmission makes this amazing bike somewhat useless. I am used to sport bikes with more hp shifting at high rpms with no worries :(

    Do you use the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd at 6500 rpm or just synchro with a bit of preload?

    Cheers!
    The slight preload on the shift lever helps to keep the shifting movement of my foot matching the fast wrist movement on the throttle and clutch release. I used to fear transmission damage, but now enjoy the 1st to 2nd high RPM shifting challenge for a smooth shift with no fear of abusing the transmission. The stronger spring that comes with the Pro Factory shifting star does it's part in finishing the fast shift.

  17. #15
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    I get no grinding sound at all, just a clunk. I usually shift at red line 7500 rpm, no issue

  18. #16
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Do you ever get the grinding or click/click/click sound shifting 1st to 2nd? To be honest that worries me more that the clunk. I can't believe Suzuki built such a beautiful bike that shifts this badly :(.
    Oh I know the noises you are referring too well, but once you figure out just what she likes you can shift it without all that grinding most of the time.

    I can shift my bike fine 90% of the time.....but let someone else ride it and man I think they are gonna wreck the trans right then and there. (even if they also own a 9)

    They are like women, they are all the same......but each one is different.

    I can say most of the newer 9's I have ridden do shift much better than my 07.....but my bike is fine and I have not had any trouble with it at all except the tube nut coming loose once. Its 12 years old and still runs like a demon.

    BCS

  19. #17
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    The fact that you say you have trouble shifting in other than 1st - 2nd make me think you might have some other issues though.

    Did you ever look to see if the shift rod hits the bottom of the engine case when you shift with the lever?

    If it does you need to see whats up with that. (Motor Mounts)

    BCS

  20. #18
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoug View Post
    Thanks...I will look into installing this before moving to another bike :)
    Drew, in addition to installing the Shift Star, a very good mod to help with further smoothing out the shifting in gears 1-3 is the Push-Pin mod. The two combined will greatly improve the shifting on your 9.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 08-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.

  21. #19
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    Thanks. Oemcycle says not available/discontinued. The other one does have a link "where to buy from" which returns a red letter error page lol. I'll try to call them up and see if I can get this anywhere. Worth a try from what I just read Abt it.

    Btw both that u sent are for M bikes. Ours is a C. Would you know if these are the same for the C?

    Thanks guys

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I put one in a C for a buddy from the forum and I believe they are the same except for the gasket. If I remember correctly, the covers are different but not positive.

    There were several kits back in the day that only had the star and spring. So I am thinking they are the same but hopefully someone with a C shift star kit can chime in.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  22. #20
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Drew, in addition to installing the Shift Star, a very good mod to help with further smoothing out the shifting in gears 1-3 is the Push-Pin mod. The two combined will greatly improve the shifting on your 9.
    Iv`e done this when i replaced those plates that make the clutch shudder. It fixed the shudder, smooth acceleration now, but did nothing to the clunk. Again i have it only 1-2 not in other gears. I wish our C`s have the gauge for RPMs though to test the redline shifting, but its all by the ear. Don`t feel like doing that mod :(

  23. #21
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    The fact that you say you have trouble shifting in other than 1st - 2nd make me think you might have some other issues though.

    Did you ever look to see if the shift rod hits the bottom of the engine case when you shift with the lever?

    If it does you need to see whats up with that. (Motor Mounts)

    BCS
    Hey, mentioning motor mounts, sorry to go off the subject, but i think i might need to do this. I`m at about 25K (my odometer stopped measuring millage when it stopped showing speed...don`t ask...i cant find a new one), and i do get some vibration that i believe comes from that when i am picking up speed fast. No vibration when cruising on any speed.

    Happen to know a good thread that will help me resolve this with some part numbers, and a quick how to on replacing these?

  24. #22
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    Hey, mentioning motor mounts, sorry to go off the subject, but i think i might need to do this. I`m at about 25K (my odometer stopped measuring millage when it stopped showing speed...don`t ask...i cant find a new one), and i do get some vibration that i believe comes from that when i am picking up speed fast. No vibration when cruising on any speed.

    Happen to know a good thread that will help me resolve this with some part numbers, and a quick how to on replacing these?
    Buy the upper rear mounts, different numbers than the other 4. I have 4 sitting in my garage since winter but after doing an almost 4000 mile ride in the USA and Canada for holidays I noticed it starting to vibrate and will be replacing tomorrow

  25. #23
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Buy the upper rear mounts, different numbers than the other 4. I have 4 sitting in my garage since winter but after doing an almost 4000 mile ride in the USA and Canada for holidays I noticed it starting to vibrate and will be replacing tomorrow
    im looking on https://www.cheapcycleparts.com and https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/ where i bought some OEM stuff before but dont know how these are marked. do you happen to have any numbers for these?
    you are saying only upper rear ones have to be replaced?

  26. #24
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    im looking on https://www.cheapcycleparts.com and https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/ where i bought some OEM stuff before but dont know how these are marked. do you happen to have any numbers for these?
    you are saying only upper rear ones have to be replaced?

    Here you go they are the part marked as # 36 on this diagram and the suzuki part # is 11652-10G30

    These are the ones made from the harder material so you want to use them for all 6 mounts

    Do not use any of the other part number (#35 on the drawing) as these are made of a softer material and wear out very quickly.

    http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-12.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor Mounts.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	379416  
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 08-23-2018 at 11:10 PM.

  27. #25
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    Here you go. These are going in tomorrow

    Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

  28. #26
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Here you go. These are going in tomorrow

    Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk
    I just found some old posts about a guy Scorp selling urethane ones. Can't find if he still sells them. I feel like I need to do this soon.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  29. #27
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    The upper rear ones are the harder ones and should be used on the lower ones as well because factory on tje lower 4 are soft

    Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

  30. #28
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Thanks!!! I'll be ordering these. Will probably just replace all 6 of them. Now to find how :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Here you go they are the part marked as # 36 on this diagram and the suzuki part # is 11652-10G30

    These are the ones made from the harder material so you want to use them for all 6 mounts

    Do not use any of the other part number (#35 on the drawing) as these are made of a softer material and wear out very quickly.

    http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-12.html
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  31. #29
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    How toos are in the forum as well

  32. #30
    Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    How toos are in the forum as well
    Yeah i found that old thread that got the most attention. Will try to tackle the front ones first and order the ones you said. Wish i could dig out these urethane ones from Scorp. I replaced all the bushings on my mustang with poly urethane and boy do they make a difference. Even took some off after 2y to grease up, they look like they are just installed. This material makes a ton of difference.

    The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...

    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144372&highlight=installing+motor +mounts

    Was the one i refereed to if anyone needs

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •