Looking to buy M90 question about the specs

Thread: Looking to buy M90 question about the specs

Default Looking to buy M90 question about the specs

Hi all, new to the forum. Been riding for 5 years and wanted more of a performance cruiser. Currently have an 93 honda shadow 1100 that I ride and tinker on but want a second bike newer and more reliable for longer rides. When I initially looked up the 2010 M90 reviews I saw a couple that listed it as having 106hp and lots of torque but looking on here I have seen a couple of links showing 67hp. Can someone tell me what I am missing? I wanted to go over 1400ccs for more power and a better ride but sounds like I misread something.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...0-ar68566.html says 106hp 101ft lbs of torque

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...d_m90%2009.htm says 66hp 84 ft lbs of torque.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Its definitely not the first one. That's closer to the 109.

The 2010 109 comes up with 125hp...my 1100 shadow has 60hp. I am not a speed demon or anything I just want to make sure she has a lot of get up and go when needed hence why I was moving up in size.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yburi View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum. Been riding for 5 years and wanted more of a performance cruiser. Currently have an 93 honda shadow 1100 that I ride and tinker on but want a second bike newer and more reliable for longer rides. When I initially looked up the 2010 M90 reviews I saw a couple that listed it as having 106hp and lots of torque but looking on here I have seen a couple of links showing 67hp. Can someone tell me what I am missing? I wanted to go over 1400ccs for more power and a better ride but sounds like I misread something.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...0-ar68566.html says 106hp 101ft lbs of torque

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...d_m90%2009.htm says 66hp 84 ft lbs of torque.
    I have read in this thread: https://www.motorcycleforums.net/for...wered-m90.html

this summary:

EVERYONE is disappointed with the M90. Unlike their other cruiser models, Suzuki does not even publish a HP number for it, and they did not make any for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 model years because it took them 4 years to sell all the 2009s- that should tell a buyer looking for a performance bike pretty much all they need to know. Folks step up from the slow M50, C50, or some other small bike and expect that the 1500cc M90, being twice as big, will be twice as powerful. But the M90 makes only 20% more power than the small M50, and is over 20% heavier, so it is pretty much universally agreed that the M90 is a slug. My local dealer has one, but when I sat on it he just shook his head and said, 'Bob, you would HATE that thing. Everyone hates that thing.' So in this case, I think it is fairly easy for a dealership to predict disappointment in the M90, as that seems to be the almost universal opinion.
    So today's lesson is that it is the buyer's responsibility to do the proper research and choose the correct model, and that you should NEVER buy a vehicle without test riding it first. AFTER you get it home, let alone drop a grand on worthless mods, is not the time to figure out that you bought a slug.

Seeing your Shadow has ~ 67 HP, it looks to me you would be disappointed with M90.

JMHO
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

That was the thread I found too that made me stop and say wait a minute... 67hp on big bike makes me think it will run like a slug. Might take it for a test run its at a dealership. If it feels sluggish will kill the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post

I have read in this thread: https://www.motorcycleforums.net/for...wered-m90.html

this summary:

EVERYONE is disappointed with the M90. Unlike their other cruiser models, Suzuki does not even publish a HP number for it, and they did not make any for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 model years because it took them 4 years to sell all the 2009s- that should tell a buyer looking for a performance bike pretty much all they need to know. Folks step up from the slow M50, C50, or some other small bike and expect that the 1500cc M90, being twice as big, will be twice as powerful. But the M90 makes only 20% more power than the small M50, and is over 20% heavier, so it is pretty much universally agreed that the M90 is a slug. My local dealer has one, but when I sat on it he just shook his head and said, 'Bob, you would HATE that thing. Everyone hates that thing.' So in this case, I think it is fairly easy for a dealership to predict disappointment in the M90, as that seems to be the almost universal opinion.
    So today's lesson is that it is the buyer's responsibility to do the proper research and choose the correct model, and that you should NEVER buy a vehicle without test riding it first. AFTER you get it home, let alone drop a grand on worthless mods, is not the time to figure out that you bought a slug.

Seeing your Shadow has ~ 67 HP, it looks to me you would be disappointed with M90.

JMHO
    I wouldn't put it that harshly lol. My first bike was a shadow 750. M90 feels totally different. Is it a 109? Definitely not. But she still moves pretty good. I didn't want my second bike to be more powerful than my skill... with that being said I'm saving up for a rocket 3 as my next bike.

Hi, i have a 2010 M90 had it dyno'd at 72hp stock.

My father has an 09 shadow 750 and i can tell you now that the m90 is so much for powerful than the shadow hands down, hell the c50 bully is more powerful than the shadow. I have only just recently test ridden a 109 bully and there is quite a difference between the m90 and m109, in saying that i am very with my m90 after having it for 5 yrs now.

750 Shadow, and 1100 Shadow are different. OP said he has 1100 one.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by porkmon View Post

My father has an 09 shadow 750 and i can tell you now that the m90 is so much for powerful than the shadow hands down, hell the c50 bully is more powerful than the shadow. I have only just recently test ridden a 109 bully and there is quite a difference between the m90 and m109, in saying that i am very with my m90 after having it for 5 yrs now.
    I have a 93 1100 shadow. They go pretty good but wanted something with more juice and 65hp doesn't really cut it unless you got a lot of torque to go with it. This forum was a good deal of help now. I have narrowed my choice down to M109 or Kawasaki Vulcan or Nomad 1700. Seem to be a lot more choices out there with the Kawasakis just cause of the sheer numbers of them around but love the 109 too so still looking. Thanks for the help all.

I have a 93 1100 shadow. They go pretty good but wanted something with more juice and 65hp doesn't really cut it unless you got a lot of torque to go with it. This forum was a good deal of help now. I have narrowed my choice down to M109 or Kawasaki Vulcan or Nomad 1700. Seem to be a lot more choices out there with the Kawasakis just cause of the sheer numbers of them around but love the 109 too so still looking. Thanks for the help all.
    Whatever you choose ride it first. Some bikes I rode felt unnatural to me and I couldn't stand them.

Very Active Member

I have a 2009 M90 and after putting on a Cobra FI2000 and a slight remapping mine came in just slightly under 80HP which is plenty of oomph for me.
    Be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets. - Capt Ramius (Red October)

2006 DL650 Blue
    2009 VZ1500 M90 Blue

Hi all, new to the forum. Been riding for 5 years and wanted more of a performance cruiser. Currently have an 93 honda shadow 1100 that I ride and tinker on but want a second bike newer and more reliable for longer rides. When I initially looked up the 2010 M90 reviews I saw a couple that listed it as having 106hp and lots of torque but looking on here I have seen a couple of links showing 67hp. Can someone tell me what I am missing? I wanted to go over 1400ccs for more power and a better ride but sounds like I misread something. https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...0-ar68566.html says 106hp 101ft lbs of torque http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...d_m90%2009.htm says 66hp 84 ft lbs of torque.
    I was in a bit of the same position. My previous bike was a 1250 Bandit that was great except the riding position was killing the discs in my neck. I'd previously had an 1100 Virago, but didn't want to go back to the road-barge style of cruiser. I was looking for something that was a bit more agressive, a little bit more sporty. I took a couple of the full-on cruisers for a test ride, but they just weren't quite enough. The dealer had a 2010 M90, and once I took it for a run, it was right what I was looking for. I will say that mine has fairly free flowing aftermarket exhaust and a power commander fitted, so it's probably giving me a bit more go than stock. One other thing to note is, before buying the Bandit, I test road the M50 (2009) brand new as well. I don't know about on paper, but in reality, the M90 [email protected] all over the M50, and it does the same to my old 1100 Virago as well. Way more go than either. My advice would be, if the numbers on paper are the only thing you are concerned about, go ride one. That will tell you straight up if it's what you are after. I can wax on about how much I like mine, or other people can bad mouth it up the wazoo. Neither will really tell you if it's the bike for you. If you like the look/sound/style, and it's just the kw/hp that you are concerned about, take one for a run and find out :)

I've dragged enough H-D stuff with my stock(ish) M90 that I can say even with my 280-pound ass on the seat it's pretty quick.
    Haven't run any modded H-D stuff, but I kept up with a 2018 114" Street Glide with ease.

The shaft drive is great, but it's definitely a power suck. If you need to get moving quick on one of these, rev the daylights out of it.
    '09 M90 - Current Status: waking the dead.

I loved my M90. It was by no means a slouch when it came to performance. Unfortunately it was written off last year or I would still have it. I have a nice new 109r now but haven't been able to push it yet until I get it broken in a bit. The M90 felt a little more nimble than the 109 as well although I'm still going to physio a couple of times a week dealing with injuries and getting my strength back.

Quote Originally Posted by meierjn View Post
    I loved my M90. It was by no means a slouch when it came to performance. Unfortunately it was written off last year or I would still have it. I have a nice new 109r now but haven't been able to push it yet until I get it broken in a bit. The M90 felt a little more nimble than the 109 as well although I'm still going to physio a couple of times a week dealing with injuries and getting my strength back.

That giant rear tire kinda turns the flick factor down just a wee bit..
    '09 M90 - Current Status: waking the dead.