Installed a complete upgraded 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installed a complete upgraded 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R

Default Installed a complete upgraded 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R

Bought my 2007 M109R in Nov 2015 w/ 14,000 kms and it didn't take long for me to discover it came with severe clutch shudder and I now have 26,000 kms and the shudder just became more and more annoying. I read all the forums on clutch shudder and the common fixes, however most riders said their fixes only lasted so long and the shudder returned. At some point Suzuki did an upgrade on the conical wave washer and that was the only upgrade I could find regarding the clutch. I checked the 2010 & 2011 for upgrades by cross referencing the part numbers and found that the 2011 had about 18 upgrades on the clutch. Surprisingly the push pin and clutch basket had never been upgraded. Some of the upgrades were adding more plates and discs by thinning all the discs and plates. They upgraded the hub, springs and push pin washer. I figured because the clutch basket had never been upgraded all the 2011 upgrades would be compatible for the 2007 clutch and fit into the clutch basket. Friday the complete 18 upgrades for the 2011 clutch were successfully installed on my 2007 and it was a perfect fit. Saturday I took the bike out for about 5 hrs and so far had no clutch shutter - the shifting was so much smoother - the clutch lever was much lighter- the engine loud clanking noise I used to get when it was idling has also disappeared -it felt real good just like I had a new bike. If in time the clutch shudder returns or other problems occur I will post it on this thread.

I should add that the original parts I had replaced showed some wear but nothing serious enough to need replacing. The conical wave washer was in good shape and had not been flattened. So maybe the original clutch was just poorly engineered.
    Last edited by Stillfree; 11-22-2016 at 04:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

interesting, did you do the work yourself? Bet it wasnt an inexpensive fix.
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by VzrDean1800 View Post
    interesting, did you do the work yourself? Bet it wasnt an inexpensive fix.
    Dean
    Hi, Dean good to hear from you -doing any riding lately. I've been on a contract working this past 5 weeks so I had the bike shop do it. It wasn't cheap but because I have no intentions of ever selling the bike the results were well worth the cost. Labour was standard $250 but the parts were expensive only because the upgraded Hub cost just over $300.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Installed a complete upgraded 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    Hi, Dean good to hear from you -doing any riding lately. I've been on a contract working this past 5 weeks so I had the bike shop do it. It wasn't cheap but because I have no intentions of ever selling the bike the results were well worth the cost. Labour was standard $250 but the parts were expensive only because the upgraded Hub cost just over $300.
    Hello,

thank you for piping in, I realy appreciate what you have done !

i would like to have that list of parts please, as I'm riding the origional Tank monster 2006! Lol I have simply gotten use to the aggressive handling of my 9 and have needed to just suck it up "Butter cup" so to speak. This winter is my big refresh, this would be a dream if the $ gods will shine on me over the next 4 months. I would like to upgrade as well.

Listed below are Stillfrees documents and parts list for the upgrade.
    Edit, thought I'd add these so it's easy to find on first page;

Last edited by biker-chicky; 07-14-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Hello,

i would like to have that list of parts please, as I'm riding the origional Tank monster 2006! Lol I have simply gotten use to the aggressive handling of my 9 and have needed to just suck it up "Butter cup" so to speak. This winter is my big refresh, this would be a dream if the $ gods will shine on me over the next 4 months. I would like to upgrade as well.

If you read this, it will help you..:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...=1#post3405481
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Hello,

If you want you can PM me your email address then I can scan/send you all my paper work for the upgraded clutch parts on the 2011 that I installed on my 2007. Just give me a couple of days.

If you want you can PM me your email address then I can scan/send you all my paper work for the upgraded clutch parts on the 2011 that I installed on my 2007. Just give me a couple of days.
    Fantastic! Thank you,
    it might be easier to simply take pictures of it with your phone and send. I'll PM you.

Fantastic! Thank you,
    it might be easier to simply take pictures of it with your phone and send. I'll PM you.

Good Idea - PM me your cell number

Hi John, send it to me to please.
    Thanks,
    Dean

Hi John, send it to me to please.
    Thanks,
    Dean

If you PM me your email address I will forward to you the same info I sent to Biker - Chicky

If you PM me your email address I will forward to you the same info I sent to Biker - Chicky
    I did,

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post

oh yes, this is Great, I think you posted this for me once before! Now there's no excuse time yo get buisy! Lol, I'm jumping ahead a bit, I'm still at the headlight! Lol If hubby isn't in the mood for wrenching, I'll pick away at it myself, ! Woo how, should be interesting!

oh yes, this is Great, I think you posted this for me once before! Now there's no excuse time yo get buisy! Lol, I'm jumping ahead a bit, I'm still at the headlight! Lol If hubby isn't in the mood for wrenching, I'll pick away at it myself, ! Woo how, should be interesting!
    I was not sure if I did, so I repeated myself :-) ..
    Many people missed this informative update from Rainey!
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

I did,

Dean I have been checking all day and haven't received a PM from you with your email address. Please try sending it again by PM

Hi John, I sent you another PM. I checked the sent folder and the first one shows sent as well. I have had some weird issues with this site of late.
    Cheers,
    Dean

Hi John, I sent you another PM. I checked the sent folder and the first one shows sent as well. I have had some weird issues with this site of late.
    Cheers,
    Dean
    I ran the bike this am until it got hot and then at idle I engaged the clutch and dis-engaged the clutch several times.The clunking noise in the engine that I had with the 2007 clutch is no longer there with the new upgraded 2011 clutch. Stavros took my bike out for a ride with the new 2011 clutch installed and also says that engine clunking sound that was there with the original 2007 clutch is now gone.

Very Active Member

Had the clutch shudder in my first C109 (200 before I knew there was clutch shudder.

Bike was only 3 months old (to me, bought new) with 14,000 km, it started happenning.
    Finally, wouldn't shift after another week and a half.

Spent $1000 for suzuki to replace the clutch on my new bike....no issues after that for the next 30,000 km and for 32,000km on my 2010 C109 or 65,000km on my 2012 M109.

You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BradSmith View Post
    Had the clutch shudder in my first C109 (200 before I knew there was clutch shudder.

Bike was only 3 months old (to me, bought new) with 14,000 km, it started happenning.
    Finally, wouldn't shift after another week and a half.

Spent $1000 for suzuki to replace the clutch on my new bike....no issues after that for the next 30,000 km and for 32,000km on my 2010 C109 or 65,000km on my 2012 M109.

You should be fine.
    So far the 2011 M109 upgraded complete clutch I installed on my 2007 M109 has been awesome. Stavros took it for a run and was just as impressed as I have been. No more clutch shutter - no more loud engine clanking noise when idling - pulling in the clutch lever is now almost effortless - it pulls better after you shift and the shifts are real smooth at high and low speeds. It feels like I'm on a new bike.

Good to hear the 2011+ clutch fix your issues. Seems like a great mod to do when the time comes.
    This is one thing that's on my list.

If you get a chance I'd be interested in seeing the parts list you used?

Thanks
    Andy
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

So far the 2011 M109 upgraded complete clutch I installed on my 2007 M109 has been awesome. Stavros took it for a run and was just as impressed as I have been. No more clutch shutter - no more loud engine clanking noise when idling - pulling in the clutch lever is now almost effortless - it pulls better after you shift and the shifts are real smooth at high and low speeds. It feels like I'm on a new bike.
    Stillfree,
    thanks for emailing all the info to me. I finally had a chance for a closer look, and I realised that you went beyond "Rainey's Clutch Mod" he described here:
    Did only different part numbers made you to change additional parts (like the hub and push pin), or was there something else which persuaded to do it?
    Thanks, Viliam

Stillfree,
    thanks for emailing all the info to me. I finally had a chance for a closer look, and I realised that you went beyond "Rainey's Clutch Mod" he described here:
    Did only different part numbers made you to change additional parts (like the hub and push pin), or was there something else which persuaded to do it?
    Thanks, Viliam
    Originally I just wanted to get rid of my severe clutch shudder so I read the threads on the forum regarding fixes for clutch shudder - lots of ideas but little success. I decided I din't want to do trial and error to find a temporary fix for my problem. So I did some research and came up with the 2011 clutch and it's 18 ( going by memory ) upgrades. Did some more research and found that the 2011 clutch would fit my 2007 M109R because the clutch basket #2 has not been upgraded since 2006 up to 2011. So I decided I would rather have a much more superior upgraded clutch than find a quick fix for my original crappy 2007 clutch. Therefore I put in the complete 2011 clutch with the 18 Upgrades and all my problems went away and the bonus was all the other good things I got with the new 2011 upgraded clutch that I hadn't expected. Although the clutch push pin had never been upgraded from the 2006 model to the 2011 model it was a cheap piece and I decided to put a new 2011 one in to be safe. The HUB #3 was an upgrade so of course it was included. I had ordered all the parts before I had my clutch inspected because I had no interest in keeping anything from my original 2007 clutch - I just wanted a new upgraded clutch. I believe the original 2007 clutch was poorly engineered and that may be why so many upgrades have been done over time. I'm very pleased with the results I've got from installing the 2011 complete upgraded clutch - I feel like I have a new bike. So for me it was all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    Good to hear the 2011+ clutch fix your issues. Seems like a great mod to do when the time comes.
    This is one thing that's on my list.

If you get a chance I'd be interested in seeing the parts list you used?

Thanks
    Andy
    Andy if you PM me your email address I will send you what I have on the 2011 clutch installation

Stillfree,
    Thanks, Viliam
    Today was the first day I took the bike out on the highways / back roads for 5 hrs with Stavros and the new 2011 clutch performance was outstanding compared to the old crappy 2007 clutch. There is a huge noticeable difference with the new 2011 clutch when your riding the bike - I enjoy riding this bike so much more now with the 2011 clutch than I ever did with the 2007 original clutch. For me it makes that much of a difference.

thevili - I finally checked out and read through Raineys link above - never ran across it on my research but after having read it I'd say we both came up with thinking outside the box and decided there had to be a better fix for the old draconian original 2006 -2009 and maybe 2010 M109 clutch instead of trying to patch up a poorly engineered clutch we both moved on to research newer model clutches that had many upgrades since the 2006 and that could possibly be a fit for our older models. My research for a new fit was done by cross referencing part numbers on newer model clutches that had a lot of upgrades. When I discovered the #2 clutch basket had not been upgraded I knew I was on the right track after that it was just a matter of checking out each of the upgraded parts to be sure they would all be compatible with my 2007. I found the 2011 clutch with all it's 18 upgrades was completely compatible with my 2007 clutch and when installed it was a perfect fit. All my research was done on paper and I never took my original 2007 clutch apart until the day when the 2011 clutch was installed. Rainey and I had the same idea but maybe approached it differently, however, so far it seems that we were both successful in finding the perfect fix for our clutch shutter problems with the bonus of now having a more superior engineered clutch with other benefits.
    Last edited by Stillfree; 11-11-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Hi, how did you add a link on this thread ? I have done copy on a link then opened up a thread I posted pressed edit and tried to paste on it but "paste" doesn't highlight when I right click on the empty space in the edited post so I can't paste.

Hi, how did you add a link on this thread ? I have done copy on a link then opened up a thread I posted pressed edit and tried to paste on it but "paste" doesn't highlight when I right click on the empty space in the edited post so I can't paste.
    Right-click on the posts#, (it is in it's right hand top corner),
    then in the opened dialogue left-click on "Copy shortcut".
    Then simply paste 'Copied shortcut' wherever needed...
    Cheers, Viliam
    Yours is #25 :
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...=1#post3702249

Andy if you PM me your email address I will send you what I have on the 2011 clutch installation
    PM sent
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    PM sent

I just emailed you the package which includes 3 separate attached PDF's - please read the attached text email

Hello Stillfree, I was wondering if you did any modifications to the clutch pin with the new install?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Hello Stillfree, I was wondering if you did any modifications to the clutch pin with the new install?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

I put a new 2011 push pin in only because everything else was new and the push pin was very inexpensive, however, the push pin had never been upgraded from 2006 to 2011 so it didn't really need to be replaced - I was just being safe.

I was just reading some threads from other riders who had 2006 to 2010 models and they are saying there is nothing wrong with their clutches and it would be a waste of money and time for them to put in a new 2011 clutch. They are probably a few of the lucky one's that don't have any issues with the original clutch , however , like a farmer with an old tractor he'll never know just how bad his tractor is until he drives a new one. There is no comparison between the old original poorly engineered 2006 - 2009 and 2010 clutch and the new 2011 engineered clutch with 18 upgrades and they will never believe it until they drive one with a 2011 clutch. There is someone else who just did the same ( not sure if he replaced everything that I did ) mod on his clutch that I did and he can't believe the difference in the clutches - he's very happy