Cobra PowrFlo vs Thunder MFG Tornado intakes
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Cobra PowrFlo vs Thunder MFG Tornado intakes

  1. #1
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default Cobra PowrFlo vs Thunder MFG Tornado intakes

    I haven't seen any really recent posts about the PowrFlo intakes. For those that have them, are you happy with them? Has anyone gone from the PowrFlo to the Tornado intakes or vice versa? What are your thoughts of one vs the other in terms of performance? I had the Tornadoes on my previous 109, but I like the look of the PowrFlo intakes. If there is a large noticeable difference in performance between the two, I'd rather have the performance over looks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    The tornadoes aren't made anymore. I figured you'd found as used set

    Go to Meancycles as they have a great selection. They do have the tornado type boxes that you can mount the Harley style breathers onto

    Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    The tornadoes aren't made anymore. I figured you'd found as used set

    Go to Meancycles as they have a great selection. They do have the tornado type boxes that you can mount the Harley style breathers onto

    Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

    Ah, I didn't realize that, Meancycles still has them on their site and says they are in stock. I guess that pretty much narrows down my choice.

    Thanks

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    Ah, I didn't realize that, Meancycles still has them on their site and says they are in stock. I guess that pretty much narrows down my choice.

    Thanks
    I would call JC at MeanCycles and ask. Thunder MFG went out of business, but that doesnt mean JC doesnt have a set sitting on the shelf. It would be worth a phone call if those are the intakes you want.

  7. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I would call JC at MeanCycles and ask. Thunder MFG went out of business, but that doesnt mean JC doesnt have a set sitting on the shelf. It would be worth a phone call if those are the intakes you want.

    Thanks Poseidon, I may do that depending on what feedback I get on this post.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Update on the Thunder MFG Tornados.... JC at Meancycles said that while Thunder MFG did close, the owner still makes them for him. So sounds like the Thunder MFG parts for the M109R will still be available through Meancycles. He said it would take 3 weeks, so also sounds like they are made to order, not "in stock" if you need them quickly.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Honestly either one will be a huge Improvement over stock so my vote would be to get what you like the best unless your end goal is to be running serious races! To compare them head to head with the goal of choosing the Best Preformance then the type of pipe you are running is a huge factor in that equation and if you dont have a pipe that can Utilize the extra Lung capacity then it doesn't really matter anyway which one you go with so again i would suggest to get what you like the best and just keep the preformance factor as a close runner up unless your goal is to race. If so, the best preformance ive seen from an intake on a 109 came from the Holley/Edlebrock filter mod which completely closes off the back plate from sucking in hot engine air and allowing full frontal exposure. Now im not saying there hasn't been a better one since that would do better or that you go with that type of intake unless thats what you're looking for.......im just sharing my experience and suggesting if power is your end goal that it would be in your best interest to go with an air intake that you like that emulates as closely as possible what the holley/Edlebrock filters do.

  10. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Honestly either one will be a huge Improvement over stock so my vote would be to get what you like the best unless your end goal is to be running serious races! To compare them head to head with the goal of choosing the Best Preformance then the type of pipe you are running is a huge factor in that equation and if you dont have a pipe that can Utilize the extra Lung capacity then it doesn't really matter anyway which one you go with so again i would suggest to get what you like the best and just keep the preformance factor as a close runner up unless your goal is to race. If so, the best preformance ive seen from an intake on a 109 came from the Holley/Edlebrock filter mod which completely closes off the back plate from sucking in hot engine air and allowing full frontal exposure. Now im not saying there hasn't been a better one since that would do better or that you go with that type of intake unless thats what you're looking for.......im just sharing my experience and suggesting if power is your end goal that it would be in your best interest to go with an air intake that you like that emulates as closely as possible what the holley/Edlebrock filters do.

    Thanks Latinrascal, I understand.

    I had a 2-1 exhaust on my previous 109, this time, I think I'm going to go with the Cobra Swept Duals. Looking at Ivan's Performance site, it looks like the duals carry the torque better through the 3750 - 5250 rpm range when all else is equal. Of course his dyno charts are comparing the Cobra Swept Duals with the Cobra Tri-Pro, so the results would likely be different if he was testing a different 2-1 exhaust. I'm not going to race the bike, but if someone had gone from the Tornados to the Cobra PowrFlo and noticed a definite seat of the pants reduction in power, then I would likely go with the Tornados. I want to know I am getting the best performance out of the parts I am planning to put on the bike. Was also looking at the LA Choppers xXx intakes, as that is what it looks like Ivan has on his test bike, but have decided I really don't like that look. For me, it's down to either the Tornados or Cobra PowrFlo, I would be happy with either. I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the Tornado intakes, for how much they cost. My girlfriend has the Cobra PowrFlo intake on her Stryker, I really like the way it looks and the quality seems to be much better.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port st Lucie, Florida
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    Thanks Latinrascal, I understand. I had a 2-1 exhaust on my previous 109, this time, I think I'm going to go with the Cobra Swept Duals. Looking at Ivan's Performance site, it looks like the duals carry the torque better through the 3750 - 5250 rpm range when all else is equal. Of course his dyno charts are comparing the Cobra Swept Duals with the Cobra Tri-Pro, so the results would likely be different if he was testing a different 2-1 exhaust. I'm not going to race the bike, but if someone had gone from the Tornados to the Cobra PowrFlo and noticed a definite seat of the pants reduction in power, then I would likely go with the Tornados. I want to know I am getting the best performance out of the parts I am planning to put on the bike. Was also looking at the LA Choppers xXx intakes, as that is what it looks like Ivan has on his test bike, but have decided I really don't like that look. For me, it's down to either the Tornados or Cobra PowrFlo, I would be happy with either. I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the Tornado intakes, for how much they cost. My girlfriend has the Cobra PowrFlo intake on her Stryker, I really like the way it looks and the quality seems to be much better.
    Have you thought bout the Hyperchargers "R" Pro from Thunder Mfg ? I know that Thunder is been out of business for some time , but perhaps Meancycles still have some of their kits or , like the Tornados , the owner may still making them a call to Mean Cycles will tell you . I have them and frankly , it beats the hell out of the Tornados big time . Anyway, it is just another suggestion .
    Last edited by josey88; 07-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.

  12. #10
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Have you thought bout the Hyperchargers "R" Pro from Thunder Mfg ? I know that Thunder is been out of business for some time , but perhaps Meancycles still have some of their kits or , like the Tornados , the owner may still making them a call to Mean Cycles will tell you . I have them and frankly , it beats the hell out of the Tornados big time . Anyway, it is just another suggestion .[i

    Yes, I originally wanted the Hyperchargers on my fist 109, but didn't like the fact that the drain would be showing on the left side since it would be upside down. I like the "R" version, but not sure what it means by saying they are not performance rated like the Tornado, Round, Teardrop, Cyclone and Pro Hypercharger adapter kits on the Meancycles site. I'm guessing by the way it's worded, there is more of a restriction in the adapter kit for the "R" version as compared to the others.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port st Lucie, Florida
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Well, I`ll tell you , I am very happy with them and I don`t feel that there are any restrictions on performance on these babies to the contrary , when those butterflies move under throttle , the acceleration on this bike is downright scary . As per the opening on the left side (because the body is upside down) means nothing . As a matter of fact , I like it because it allows me to check on the condition of the air filter with just one look , lol...These are the R Pro Type , which are huge , much bigger than the standard type . The R type adapters are much more longer and are placed more separate from the engine than the regular types , so the main bodies are considerably more distant away from the engine , consequently getting more cool air .The enormous amount of intake air that these things capture and send in , is controlled by the butterflies that open more or less in synchronization to the vacuum produced by the throttle acceleration , so it is very effective and precise . My bike accelerates in a way that is , simply put , brutal and I believe much of it is because of the Hyperchargers , but , hey , everybody has different opinions and ideas .If you think that the Tornados are your ticket , go for it .
    Last edited by josey88; 07-05-2018 at 03:34 PM.

  14. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Well, I`ll tell you , I am very happy with them and I don`t feel that there are any restrictions on performance on these babies to the contrary , when those butterflies move under throttle , the acceleration on this bike is downright scary . As per the opening on the left side (because the body is upside down) means nothing . As a matter of fact , I like it because it allows me to check on the condition of the air filter with just one look , lol...These are the R Pro Type , which are huge , much bigger than the standard type . The R type adapters are much more longer and are placed more separate from the engine than the regular types , so the main bodies are considerably more distant away from the engine , consequently getting more cool air .The enormous amount of intake air that these things capture and send in , is controlled by the butterflies that open more or less in synchronization to the vacuum produced by the throttle acceleration , so it is very effective and precise . My bike accelerates in a way that is , simply put , brutal and I believe much of it is because of the Hyperchargers , but , hey , everybody has different opinions and ideas .If you think that the Tornados are your ticket , go for it .

    Hey josey88, I talked with JC at Meancycles, he said both the Pro and Pro "R" hyperchargers have the larger air filter, so the description stating that the "R" version is not "performance rated" must be a misprint. I'm actually leaning more toward the Cobra PowrFlo than the Tornados.

  15. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port st Lucie, Florida
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    Hey josey88, I talked with JC at Meancycles, he said both the Pro and Pro "R" hyperchargers have the larger air filter, so the description stating that the "R" version is not "performance rated" must be a misprint. I'm actually leaning more toward the Cobra PowrFlo than the Tornados.
    I think that you are right on that … I believe the difference between the Pro "R" and the Pro is that the Pro "R" have an extra opening on the side , so it can gulp more air , while the Pro has a side closed body ,and that maybe the adapters are not extended out as the "R" adapters , so the hypercharger is placed much closer to the engine , getting more hot air as a consequence ,but I am not too sure about that last one .You can see the extra side opening on my first pic clearly and also check out how far out the hypercharger is mounted with the extended adapters .
    Last edited by josey88; 07-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.

  16. #14
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    I decided to go with the Cobra PowrFlo intakes, here are some pics of the scoop and filter themselves in case anyone is interested.


    Click image for larger version.

Name:	PowrFlo_Scoop_Length.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	379300Click image for larger version.

Name:	PowrFlo_Scoop_Width.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	379302Click image for larger version.

Name:	PowrFlo_Scoop_Height.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	379304Click image for larger version.

Name:	PowrFlo_Bottom.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	379306Click image for larger version.

Name:	PowrFlo_Top.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	379308

  17. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483
    Last edited by Kratos109; 08-17-2018 at 08:09 AM.

  18. #16
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    I'm late to this thread. I have had the holly's, a set of my my own making, kuryakyn mach 2's and the tornadoes. Never been on a dyno but none made a difference that you would notice. I was going to say just go with whatever you like the look's of, and I see you have

  19. #17
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default Installed!

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3354.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	379334Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	379336Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3358.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	379338Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3360.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	379340Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3361.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	379342

  20. #18
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,416

    Default

    It looks great Kratos109!!!

  21. #19
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    It looks great Kratos109!!!

    Thanks JUDAH-9, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

  22. #20
    Active Member LuckyLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Anyone had an experience with Cycle House Q5 air intake?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #21
    Active Member LuckyLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Never mind. I found some posts about it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Did you need to do any further modifications to account for the installation of the Cobra PowrFlo?

  25. #23
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bights View Post
    Did you need to do any further modifications to account for the installation of the Cobra PowrFlo?

    Yes, you will have to drill a hole in the left intake adapter top plate to accommodate the PowrFlo mounting plate. The right side does not require any modification.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
-->