Grasshopper Seat

Thread: Grasshopper Seat

Default Grasshopper Seat

Guess I'm getting old, long rides over the last 12 months have left me with a very sore back, butt, and elbows, often lasting for days afterwards.

My first thought was to bring the controllers closer to me, so I looked at mini apes and new risers, but high cost and/or high risk of failure to achieve the desired results left me with no clear best path.

Instead I ordered a grasshopper seat back ($100) and what a difference it makes. Very simple to install. It positions me comfortably closer to the handle bars, but also adds support and keeps my body in place when accelerating. I did a 30 miler yesterday, with no discomfort at all.

A lot of folks complain about how loosely the seat back fits in the bracket, but I see that as a major plus. The seat back moved with me through turns and over bumps, rather than causing a new pressure point. Took some getting used to, but I'm thrilled with how much more comfortable the bike is now.

Best part is that the company appears to be a one man shop in Wisconsin. Lonnie himself picked up the phone both times I called, and is genuinely a helpful and nice guy. Plus they are quick to ship... I ordered the seat back on Thursday, and it was on the bike on Monday.

I'm doing a 1,000 mile ride this weekend, I'll report back to let you know if I still feel the same way afterwards.

2008 C109RT - ISO grips, K&N Air Filter, NOS exhaust and filter housings, rebuilt driver seat.
    Hammertone powder coat on fenders and tank.
    Plastidip rear frame, sissy bar, side frame covers, and windshield hardware.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I installed a grasshopper on my 2013 for the trip to the MAM last week. It made the world of difference. This is actually the 4th one that I have purchased, for my 4th M109. This one actually has an allen screw to hold it in place. The previous models did not have that. The gel seat pad also helped. I logged in 1593 miles last week.
    Name:  IMG_20180610_114657318.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  98.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I installed a grasshopper on my 2013 for the trip to the MAM last week. It made the world of difference. This is actually the 4th one that I have purchased, for my 4th M109. This one actually has an allen screw to hold it in place. The previous models did not have that. The gel seat pad also helped. I logged in 1593 miles last week.
    Name:  IMG_20180610_114657318.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  98.6 KB
    I just bought one a week ago. Havent put it on yet. Where does the bracket get bolted to on the bike?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I just bought one a week ago. Havent put it on yet. Where does the bracket get bolted to on the bike?

There are 2 screws that hold the seat latch in place. They should be removed and replaced with the longer screws. There is also a rubber grommet type thing under the latching pin on the seat that needs to be removed. Here is the same set up that I had on my 08. This is how I roll for a 6 day, 5 night trip. Works pretty good.
    Name:  IMG_20160928_141924452.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  64.2 KB
    Last edited by blacklightning; 06-27-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    There are 2 screws that hold the seat latch in place. They should be removed and replaced with the longer screws. There is also a rubber grommet type thing under the latching pin on the seat that needs to be removed. Here is the same set up that I had on my 08. This is how I roll for a 6 day, 5 night trip. Works pretty good.
    Name:  IMG_20160928_141924452.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  64.2 KB
    Ok, thanks. Im gonna install it this weekend. Im sure once i remove the seat I'll be able to see where it all hooks up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Might be different on the M, but with the C the bracket just bolts on through the two bolts that hold the back seat on. The stock bolts were long enough, I didn't have to replace the bolts.

I did two 500 mile days last weekend, and still couldn't be happier. Shoulder, back and elbow pain all completely gone. The backrest put the handlebars at the perfect distance, with my elbows at a 20 degree angle, so no longer interested in apes. My butt was still sore at the end of each day, but the backrest makes it easier to lift my ass out of the saddle a bit to provide relief when needed.

2008 C109RT - ISO grips, K&N Air Filter, NOS exhaust and filter housings, rebuilt driver seat.

I still havent riden mine since getting it. Its been well into the 100's here lately.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I still havent riden mine since getting it. Its been well into the 100's here lately.

Just put on your shorts and flip-flops and ride Florida style......

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Just put on your shorts and flip-flops and ride Florida style......
    Lol, I actually have ridden a few short distances that way when I lived in AZ.

Thats literally 99% of my wardrobe....maybe I should go try out FL. Havent been back in FL since 1994....:O

Ill never ride without a drivers backrest again. When I bought my bike it came already installed. I have since upgraded to an Ultimate seat and made sure I got one that also had the drivers backrest.
    09' C109RT Thunder Teardrop Intakes;Cobra PowrPro;GIpro TRE/gear indicator;cobra exhaust;Tsukayu 7" Stereo/GPS Boox One Fairing;Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags;fender chrome; Rear Master cylinder Chrome;Tank bib;headlight visor,driving light visors,speedo visor and directional visors;Throttle lock; Kuryakyn cup holder;Kuryakyn mirrors;Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highway pegs;TMS Trunk; zXe head light and driving light bulbs;Draggers;Denali air horn

I'm about to pull the trigger on one. Is everyone getting the standard or have some tried and recommend the 2 inch forward option? I'm 5 foot 11 inches and wouldn't mind being a tad closer to the bars. Any input is greatly appreciated!

~Brian

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sargeant002 View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on one. Is everyone getting the standard or have some tried and recommend the 2 inch forward option? I'm 5 foot 11 inches and wouldn't mind being a tad closer to the bars. Any input is greatly appreciated!

~Brian

I have the Ultimate Seat with the back rest. I love it!!! It literally changed the whole riding experience. I went with the Ultimate because the back rest is adjustable; sometimes I want to sit back and relax and other times I prefer to be closer to the bars. If you can, I would recommend the Ultimate Seat. Coincidently, I got it because I saw how many people here recommended it, and I didn't want to spend over $1000 for driver and passenger from Corbin. I rode down to Daytona Beach, tried the Corbin for about 2 hours and didn't like it, went to Ultimate and bought it not even 5 minutes after installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS_man View Post
    I have the Ultimate Seat with the back rest. I love it!!! It literally changed the whole riding experience. I went with the Ultimate because the back rest is adjustable; sometimes I want to sit back and relax and other times I prefer to be closer to the bars. If you can, I would recommend the Ultimate Seat. Coincidently, I got it because I saw how many people here recommended it, and I didn't want to spend over $1000 for driver and passenger from Corbin. I rode down to Daytona Beach, tried the Corbin for about 2 hours and didn't like it, went to Ultimate and bought it not even 5 minutes after installing it.
    Eventually I would like the Ultimate seat. Still a pretty penny when I could maybe get by a season or two more for under $100. I wish I wasn't so detached from events to try all these awesome options!

~Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sargeant002 View Post

~Brian

I don't recall seeing a 2" forward option from Grasshopper, but I'm 5' 10", and the standard is fine for me. It positions me closer to the bars, I wouldn't want to be too much closer.

Default Grasshopper seat back

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS_man View Post
    I have the original from 1.5 yrs ago, I'm 6' 2" .... I found it more comfortable to add a strap on pad to it to add 3-4" additional support .... could mean the 2" might be helpful for you. Probably different for everyone.