M109 Rider Forums banner

Counteract Balancing Beads

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  JUDAH-9 
#1 ·
Anyone have any opinions towards counteract balancing beads inside of a tire rather than balancing it with weights

#11 ·
Reviving an older thread, but the title was perfect, rather than start a new one with similar info.

I have a 160 front, currently with normal weights, which gets an uncomfortable wobble just before/around 160kmh/100mph which the 130 stock never had (at any speed). The install shop was nervous even installing the 160 in the first place, so I don't want to go back to them to fix the balance, they will no doubt just blame the tire, rightly or wrongly. PSI tweaking didn't seem to fix it so I just ordered Counter Act (Counteract) beads.

I ordered 2oz/3oz based on tire size.

QUESTIONS:
  • Seems obvious but, best practice would be to remove all the existing "normal" weights then put the beads in I'm guessing?
  • And you just put all the beads in? i.e. the full 2oz in front and 3oz in the back?
  • Any tips on how to remove the existing weights safely and cleanly?
  • Forgive me if this is all in the instructions, I don't have the kit yet but was thinking/planning what I need to know in advance.
:bigthumbsup:

#13 ·
NSF, the amounts/size bags you ordered are correct.

1. It really doesn't matter whether you remove the wheel weights first or not...as long as you don't try riding the bike with both installed.

2. Yes, 2oz in front tire and 3oz in rear tire.

3. You can use any product that breaks down and removes sticky tape like residue. Something like a product called Goo-Gone. There's tons out there. You can even use Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid to break down the adhesive that's underneath the wheel weights.

#12 ·
You would remove the weights. It’s been awhile, but I believe the beads have a specific amount for tire size. I know the ride on does for sure. I’m using that product for the first time. Don’t have any feedback as of yet since I’m not done with my build and haven’t rode the bike yet. I’ve used beads successfully on my past set ups, including my current 40” tires on my truck

#16 ·
You would remove the weights. It's been awhile, but I believe the beads have a specific amount for tire size. I know the ride on does for sure. I'm using that product for the first time. Don't have any feedback as of yet since I'm not done with my build and haven't rode the bike yet. I've used beads successfully on my past set ups, including my current 40" tires on my truck
Hopefully you did the "break-in" of at least 5 miles after installing the Ride-On.
Personally I love the Ride-On and have been using it successfully for many years and tires.

#17 ·
Oh ****, break in? That would be a strong no. The tire was mounted and the shop did the ride on for me. The bike has been sitting since then, hasn’t moved an inch. I’ve been finishing up a bunch of stuff on it.

This is the first time I have used ride on, and it was suggested by the shop that mounted the tire. I’ve always been a bead guy.

So what does the break in do and what will be the issue now after it has sat? I have two bottles sitting here waiting to do the front wheel

#18 ·
So what does the break in do and what will be the issue now after it has sat?
Don't think there will be an issue, this is from their website..

Ride-On Tire Protection tire sealant contains specially selected binders to help it adhere to the inner surface of the tire. If a tire treated with Ride-On is stored for a prolonged period of time, some of the Ride-On may eventually pool in the bottom of the tire. Once the vehicle is driven for 3 to 5 miles, Ride-On will again re-coat the inner tire surface. Note: the tire may briefly vibrate until Ride-On has had a chance to evenly coat the tire. When Ride-On has re-coated the tire, there should be no further balancing problems.

#20 ·
FANF*NTASTIC.
Just did Counteract. Took about 10mins per tire using "puffer bottle" as provided and instructed, no problems.

Ripped the weights off and GooGone'd the sticky ones.

Smooth. As. Silk.

Previous wild wobbles at various speeds are gone - its like butter (tested up to 160kmh/100mph). I didn't realize how bad it was until now that it's gone.

Big ride planned for Wednesday for bigger test but so far, fantastic product. Wish I had just done them from the start.

Oh! One minor complication. I couldnt use their valve (red one). Wouldn't fit in my stem.

Attachments

#22 ·
COUNTERACT - LONGER USE UPDATE

FANF*NTASTIC.
Just did Counteract. ... Smooth. As. Silk. ... its like butter (tested up to 160kmh/100mph). ...
An update in case someone reads this thread later and misses THIS one (https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347734&p=3990878&viewfull=1#post3990878).
Beads aren't magic.
They are barely, "pick-a-card-any-card."
They are... ok.

So my initial enthusiasm is still *mostly* true:
  • Still did the job... mostly
  • Still removed the ugly weights from my rims
  • Still was easy to install

HOWEVER - the update now includes:
  • Very bad wobble which gets wildly worse over 140kmh/85mph
  • I have discovered I am NOT the only one experiencing this.
  • CounterAct company rep response was... less than inspiring.
  • Will be a HUGE p.i.t.a. to correct.
  • Considering switching to RideOn Slime, but need to do some more research.
  • Overall... I thought it was a turkey dinner but it's just a ham sandwich. Very disappointed at the new hassles I now face if I want the same stability I had with stock rubber and stock weights.

Caveat Emptor.
:confused:

#21 ·
Another big plus with beads is they keep the tire in perfect balance as the tire wears. You will lose balance with tire weights as the tire wears.

#23 ·
Just a really long term update for anyone else that reads this.

I have been using beads in all my bikes and all my customers bikes (too many to count) for 12yrs now. Yet I have never received one complaint of any sort and I have zero complaints. Just a good product, no wheel weights, no wobble at any speed, no cleaning up the rim covered with slime when we change tires, and the beads can be used again in the next tire.

#24 ·
See... now... THIS is exactly why I went with the beads in the first place. Everything I read about them said they were as you have found, but now I'm like, WTH?! And then when I found the other riders suffering essentially identical issues, and the company being basically no help at all, it was a bit of a kick in the zipper.

So with 160/250 I used 2oz/3oz as suggested - now the company suggests maybe I should use less (not MORE as the physics would make it worse...makes sense). I also read somewhere else that it was someone's rim or a bad bead seat (wrinkle), but I don't see any wrinkles and I didn't have this problem with the stock 130 so I don't suspect the rim.

Is there something you are doing that I may have done differently? I jacked the bike, deflated the tires, filled them as directed, pumped them back up... now the front rides like crap.
Would love to love them!
???

#27 · (Edited)
I also use Dyna beads , no problems , ever , for 5 years now.
I say you might have busted steel belts inside tires , known around here as "Ss" in the tires
so defective tire.
when you added the beads , did you have contamination of any kind inside tire ??, like grease
or water that could have caused the beads to bunch up together and create a blob
inside tire must be clean for beads to move freely .
did you mount the 160 back wards on front rim , most 160 are designed to be rear tires ,
and are built to get forces on them while accelerating , when mounted on front they must be mounted
backwards because forces will come when braking , that may deform your 160 front tire.

#28 ·
NSF, since 2008 I too have been specifically using Dyna Beads in all of my bikes (07’ ZX-14R, 07’ M109R, 06’ M109R, 08’ M109R, and now 14’ M109R), and I have had nothing but absolute success. There’s never been an issue with either of my bikes. No shaking, no wobbling, and no vibration of any sort...and I’ve had each of them at speeds well above 140 mph. If you haven’t already, perhaps you should consider going specifically with the Dyna Beads brand, using the same amounts (2 oz for the 160 & 3 oz for the 250) to see if that resolves the problems you're having. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, I would then consider that there could be a possibility of the tire being a defect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.