Fork seals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork seals

Default Fork seals

So I was out for a ride today noticed my fork seal is leaking

Iíve never changed a fork seal or seen how itís done, obviously the forks need to be removed but beyond that, whatís the process to disassemble the fork to change the seal?

I did purchase an extended warranty that ďshouldĒ cover the cost of a shop making the repairs, but if not Iíll be doing the work myself and trying to get an idea of what Iím in for lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    So I was out for a ride today noticed my fork seal is leaking

Iíve never changed a fork seal or seen how itís done, obviously the forks need to be removed but beyond that, whatís the process to disassemble the fork to change the seal?

I did purchase an extended warranty that ďshouldĒ cover the cost of a shop making the repairs, but if not Iíll be doing the work myself and trying to get an idea of what Iím in for lol
    I suggest to try cleaning it first, buy or make yourself a tool like this:

(people cut that hook shape from a pop bottle)

http://sealmate.net/

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

They are not terribly hard to do but having a few tools for the job will make things easier.

If you can get the dealer to do it under warranty that would be the way to go.

I have all the parts to change my seals as well as add heavier fork springs sitting on my bench waiting of me to put on my bike also.

I will be doing mine after Leesburg Bike Fest is over.

Here is a video to give you an idea of what is needed to change the fork seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sSacYg1yA

BCS

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Also this video from "Some9" a member here might help you..:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sSacYg1yA&t=12s

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

I too have a leak, seems to be that time for the older models, I bought OEM parts but Iím thinking to send my 9 in to get done. Iím also thinking if it leaks again after the repair someone else will have to do it again at no charge, shop warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

or just buy set of forks and replace lmao. As matter of fact i have one set for sale.

Big thanks for that video, showed me everything I wanted to know, and big thanks to Some9 for making the video lol

Iíll be heading out shortly to check out the warranty option, if that doesnít work, Iíll be ordering new seals while Iím there and getting geared up to change them myself

NSRiar - Iím not sure buying all new forks is in my budget right now but to humour my curiosity, how much are you asking for them?

Fork seals are not covered under my extended warranty..... ugh..... this is why I hate extended warranties, they say everything is covered until itís time to make a claim

Oh well, looks like Iíll be learning how to change fork seals right shortly

New seals are now ordered

Good luck, keep us posted.

Fork seals are not covered under my extended warranty..... ugh..... this is why I hate extended warranties, they say everything is covered until itís time to make a claim

Oh well, looks like Iíll be learning how to change fork seals right shortly

New seals are now ordered
    Did you try to clean it first with the dust seal "hook"..??

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Did you try to clean it first with the dust seal "hook"..??
    No I havenít actually, but considering the bike has 35k kms on it and new seals are pretty cheap, Iím actually somewhat excited to change the seals

I actually enjoy learning how things are built by tearing them apart lol

Not sure what you weigh but if you are more than say 175# you might want to consider changing the fork springs also.

It only adds about $100 to the cost and you are going to have the tubes open anyway.

BCS

No I havenít actually, but considering the bike has 35k kms on it and new seals are pretty cheap, Iím actually somewhat excited to change the seals

I actually enjoy learning how things are built by tearing them apart lol
    OK, lol, your choice...

Hope you checked very carefully that your chrome fork part has no grooves on it..

Because new seals will not help that... Just saying.. I personally like to troubleshoot

problems from the most simple and obvious angle... and eliminate them one by one .

That is my preferred learning curve..... Just trying to help....

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Not sure what you weigh but if you are more than say 175# you might want to consider changing the fork springs also.

It only adds about $100 to the cost and you are going to have the tubes open anyway.

BCS
    BCS,

that is a valid point!

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    OK, lol, your choice...

Hope you checked very carefully that your chrome fork part has no grooves on it..

Because new seals will not help that... Just saying.. I personally like to troubleshoot

problems from the most simple and obvious angle... and eliminate them one by one .

That is my preferred learning curve..... Just trying to help....
    Forgive me as Iím still learning bikes

I prefer proper diagnoses before spending money on parts as well, i just assumed when you suggested cleaning it first that it was for an attempt for a quick fix instead of intending it to be for diagnosing reasons

Iíll go out and double check that thereís no grooves or worn out area of the inner tube of the fork that could cause a leak

BCS - Iím a slim guy at 165lbs..... Iíve been seeing the odd post about changing springs, whatís the advantages? Ride height and/or stiffness based on preferences?

Forgive me as Iím still learning bikes

I prefer proper diagnoses before spending money on parts as well, i just assumed when you suggested cleaning it first that it was for an attempt for a quick fix instead of intending it to be for diagnosing reasons

Iíll go out and double check that thereís no grooves or worn out area of the inner tube of the fork that could cause a leak

BCS - Iím a slim guy at 165lbs..... Iíve been seeing the odd post about changing springs, whatís the advantages? Ride height and/or stiffness based on preferences?
    I presume, you did not watch the "Sealmate" video I suggested...

A leak because a small dirt stuck in the fork seal is a common problem...

Just saying....

I'm 175 pounds and the stock springs in my 06 are perfect, wouldn't change them if someone gave me new springs.

My bike had a very small leak for like two years. Just left a very faint line on the right fork when ridden. If I wiped it off after about five minutes of riding, it would not reappear. So far this year, it hasn't materialized at all. Seems to have fixed itself, if that's even possible. LOL

But it's kind of like the clutch shudder. For a few years, mine would do it occasionally. Not every ride, not even every other ride, just once in a blue moon. Never happened in 2017 or so far this year. So, maybe it fixed itself.

Who can say. I still have the stock motor mounts at 32,000 miles. Not going to change them either. I've not opened up the cases yet, and don't plan to do that either.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Not sure how I missed the video but went back and seen it this time

Iíll give a shot and see what happens

Tried the sealmate idea

After the first attempt I was getting a fairly heavy oil ring while compressing the forks to seat the seal

So I tried it all over again and while compressing the forks the second time, the oil ring was fairly minimal but didnít seem to be stopping completely

So at the very least I seen an improvement

Looking at the seal itself I didnít see anything abnormal either, the seal looks in good shape as far as I can tell so Iíll keep riding it and just keep an eye on it, if the problem continues then Iíll get ready to change the seal

Tried the sealmate idea

After the first attempt I was getting a fairly heavy oil ring while compressing the forks to seat the seal

So I tried it all over again and while compressing the forks the second time, the oil ring was fairly minimal but didnít seem to be stopping completely

So at the very least I seen an improvement

Looking at the seal itself I didnít see anything abnormal either, the seal looks in good shape as far as I can tell so Iíll keep riding it and just keep an eye on it, if the problem continues then Iíll get ready to change the seal
    You removed the dust seal to see your oil seal looks good?? Please

understand that there usually is not a visible damage on the oil seal ..

IMHO if one is able to see the oil seal damage, he as no oil in the fork left...

I just pointing out that I didnít see any visible damage.....

Thanks

Iím a slim guy at 165lbs..... Iíve been seeing the odd post about changing springs, whatís the advantages? Ride height and/or stiffness based on preferences?
    Lucky you.....

You may not need heavier springs then, but I know my fat 230# (Ish) self can bury the front forks as they are now.

I have all the stuff on my bench to do mine but have not had a chance to do it yet. I will let you know the difference in a week or so when I change mine.

Going to be after Leesburg now before I take RED apart.

BCS

I just pointing out that I didnít see any visible damage.....

Thanks
    Not to be argumentative, but there is no way to see any visible damage

of oil seals through the dust seals, in the Some9 's video it is clearly explained..

Just trying to help you to understand it all... Sorry...

I think you missed what I meant to say... possibly my wording was off, I dunno.... I understand how oil seals work, theyíre not complicated..... this thread was meant for me to learn how forks are assembled so I can make necessary repairs when needed, but Iím not going to keep beating a dead horse over this and Iím moving on....

I tried the sealmate trick you suggested and Iím going out for a ride tomorrow

If thereís no signs of leaks then thatís awesome, if the leak continues then Iíll be replacing the seal when they come in

I think you missed what I meant to say... possibly my wording was off, I dunno.... I understand how oil seals work, theyíre not complicated..... this thread was meant for me to learn how forks are assembled so I can make necessary repairs when needed, but Iím not going to keep beating a dead horse over this and Iím moving on....

I tried the sealmate trick you suggested and Iím going out for a ride tomorrow

If thereís no signs of leaks then thatís awesome, if the leak continues then Iíll be replacing the seal when they come in
    Awesome, donít mined thevil he can be quite literal at times!

Keep us posted, I look forward to your report, mine was much the same and still is, the one fork gets a bit oily/ dirty after a few bumpy rides. I clean it with the plastic hook tool, which I do after I drop down that little black outer seal down the fork a bit to then scoop out what I can then slide it back up the fork into position. Its good for a few more rides. What I noticed was vibration in the Bars, Iím not sure if it is from the harder engine bushings I had put in or the new clutch is not balanced right or if the forks are just due for some parts. So please keep us posted.

Well I put about 120kms on it today and this is how it looks

Soooo at this point Iíll just keep riding and just keep an eye on the forks

Thanks for all the advice

Looks good, awesome!

The ride today was awesome too so to come home without any leaks was the icing on the cake

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

The ride today was awesome too so to come home without any leaks was the icing on the cake

Looks like an awesome ride

What lake is that?