Frame Sliders

Thread: Frame Sliders

Default Frame Sliders

I was watching this video and noticed in the description the bike had frame sliders. Do they make these for the M109R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ahhyeah View Post
    I was watching this video and noticed in the description the bike had frame sliders. Do they make these for the M109R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

Your body frame sliders' or your bike's sliders??

I feel confused..
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Your body frame sliders' or your bike's sliders??

I feel confused..
    Bike! They are like pegs that stick off the side that hit the ground first if you go down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Bike! They are like pegs that stick off the side that hit the ground first if you go down.

We have engine guards

I only seen those on the crotch rockets...

Engine guards/crash bars are the

only protectors I have seen on M109R's..

I did also seen the crash bars installed

in front of the "saddle bags"...

M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

I have sliders on my B-King, but put them there more for the looks than what they might do. If the bike falls over not moving, they may work. If the bike goes down moving, doubt it. In any event, Knock on wood, my M109R hasn't been on the ground in the 12 years I've owned it. And I do not have, nor plan on having, any of the ugly ass crash bars that are available for it. Not a one of them looks good, just like all the ugly ass windshields out there. YMMV!!!

I put these on my King because they are not your typical round donut thingamabob. http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/search...NG&yeartext=08
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Ok. So. FIRST... geezuz, Dude you gotta give me some WARNING next time!!
    I'm waiting for a normal "Drive through the countryside," boring video with a couple frames incidentally showing a pic of a frame slider in passing... then I nearly sheit myself. A stock picture of a slider or a bike with a slider would have been more than sufficient. Lol.

SECOND - I'm thinking he's lucky to be ALIVE, and

THIRD - Sliders had nothing to do with it, nor did they save his bike.

Regardless... I will admit I researched them myself at one point, but gave up in favour of engine guards.
    Also called Crash Bungs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash bung.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	372881

it's rare that frame sliders/crash bobbins will fit on a cruiser. Would probably require a steel spanning bracket between two strong mounting points and then a slider mounted to the middle.

I've seen them on MANY non-cruiser bikes, and they do work. They're mostly for low-speed or stationary drops. Nothing is going to save the bike at any real speed.

I have a full set on my VFR (Side, front and rear axle, and handlebar ends) which have saved my panels a couple of times - See attachment below.

I've seen them very well used on many bikes where they've clearly slid down the road/track up to about 50MPH and either full saved the panels and frame from damage, or seriously reduced it from a write-off to repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-06_web.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	372889  

I’m mostly thinking low speed. Something to protect all the mods. Are engine guards mostly for looks or are they strong enough to protect things. Thanks for all the ideas and feedback!

I can't speak to the strength of the OEM bars for the 109, but generally speaking: Engine guards 'should' either protect the bike at a stationary drop, or at the very least keep the damage to a minimum. They 'might' help with low-speed drops, but no guarantees. Nothing will save a bike at highway/motorway speeds, unless you're very lucky to have the bike slide in a very particular way as to let crash protection save as much of the bike as possible.

So, to summarise: Engine bars will probably take all the damage at a stationary or low-speed drop (under 10-15mph) which is typically where the most common damage to a bike occurs.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

That's why they are called "Engine Guards"

They are meant to protect the engine not all the plastic, handle bars etc

I can say from personal experience the OEM bars will protect the engine, gas tank and most plastic from a near stationary drop, but not the air filter cover, muffler and brake pedal.