C109RT air filter upgrade

Thread: C109RT air filter upgrade

Default C109RT air filter upgrade

Hi fellow C109 riders,

i have C109RT and want to upgrade my air filter to K&N but there is none for C109 boulevard. However, there is one for VLR1800R Intruder and it is same as M109.
    has anyone upgraded to K&N in their standard air box?
    if yes, did you have to do any mods to fit it in standard airbox?

thanks
    Vish

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Fyi the airbox is one of the differences between the bikes so not sure something made to fit the M model will fit the C model. The C Model airbox is longer top to bottom when compared to the Ms airboxes.

Why not look into Gmans performance pack with bully, or just air kit if u don't want the controller, although it's recommended if u don't have it and do the upgrade.

It's a K&N kit but it was designed by him with KN and I don't think you can buy it without getting it from him

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vishwo707 View Post
    Hi fellow C109 riders,

i have C109RT and want to upgrade my air filter to K&N but there is none for C109 boulevard. However, there is one for VLR1800R Intruder and it is same as M109.

thanks
    Vish
    This thread might help you:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...=1#post2587706

PS:

As far as I know, C109 Boulevard is 99.9 % identical to VLR1800 Intruder...

They are just made for different countries...
    Last edited by thevili; 03-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vishwo707 View Post
    Hi fellow C109 riders,

thanks
    Vish
    should be getting my kit from Gman next week. will shoot a post when i load it up and see how it fits and performs :) i took the whole performance pack with controller and filters

From experience, the M109 filter will not fit in the C109 housing. I can also say that K&N has a page on their site that says it will fit, but it doesn't. I had to show that page to a K&N tech while I was on the phone with him in order to get a full refund. I am 100% certain that K&N does not make drop in filters for the C.

What I and a few others have done is use a K&N filter for a BMW bike. You'll need to Dremmel the stock paper filter of the stock plastic flange, then the BMW filter fits perfectly. I used gorilla 2 sided tape to hold it in place, but probably didn't need to.

The advantages are even more surface area, as the BMW filters are larger, but it still fits in the stock housing, so

2008 C109RT - ISO grips, K&N Air Filter, NOS exhaust and filter housings, rebuilt driver seat.
    Hammertone powder coat on fenders and tank.
    Plastidip rear frame, sissy bar, side frame covers, and windshield hardware.

I recommend Thunder Industries Tear Drop. You completely remove all the Factory stuff. This mounts solid, looks great, and functions awesome. Also gives more leg room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	043.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	370898  
    09' C109RT Thunder Teardrop Intakes;Cobra PowrPro;GIpro TRE/gear indicator;cobra exhaust;Tsukayu 7" Stereo/GPS Boox One Fairing;Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags;fender chrome; Rear Master cylinder Chrome;Tank bib;headlight visor,driving light visors,speedo visor and directional visors;Throttle lock; Kuryakyn cup holder;Kuryakyn mirrors;Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highway pegs;TMS Trunk; zXe head light and driving light bulbs;Draggers;Denali air horn

Where do you get the thunder industries air filter?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjayzway View Post
    Where do you get the thunder industries air filter?
    I just tried my old link from when I bought mine. It brought me to http://www.metricthunder.com/category/SU.html Its not the same looking web site. I think I herd a rumor a few years back that they went out of business. Im guess this is still the same owners with a new store, but I don't see any air intake kits any more. You could try and contact them directly. They may still be able to produce them. I know they were all made to order back then. It was expensive. Think I paid $600. But if you think about it, our bikes take two kits. Most other bikes only have one air intake, so at $300 a side its less than many other intake kits for other bikes.

Anyway best of luck. I have been very happy with the system. I have heard some poor stories about some of the other intake kits that fit our bikes. I haven't had any issue with this kit and the way it mounts to the engine is solid.
    09' C109RT Thunder Teardrop Intakes;Cobra PowrPro;GIpro TRE/gear indicator;cobra exhaust;Tsukayu 7" Stereo/GPS Boox One Fairing;Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags;fender chrome; Rear Master cylinder Chrome;Tank bib;headlight visor,driving light visors,speedo visor and directional visors;Throttle lock; Kuryakyn cup holder;Kuryakyn mirrors;Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highway pegs;TMS Trunk; zXe head light and driving light bulbs;Draggers;Denali air horn