A New Back Tire (Skidmark Style)

Thread: A New Back Tire (Skidmark Style)

Very Active Member

Default A New Back Tire (Skidmark Style)

I ordered the tire from Amazon. (Federal SS595 Performance Radial Tire - 255/40ZR18 99W) $102.72, no shipping and no tax. $25 to have the tire mounted. No balancing necessary.

It took a bit of grunt and silicon spray to stuff the tire onto the bike.

Initiating turns or curves takes a little extra effort to lean or extra countersteer pressure on the bar, but after 40 miles it's hardly noticeable. The biggest problem is road irregularities that run parallel with the direction of travel, like sunken pavement due to heavy vehicles.

I've been running on the Darkside since 2006. But this is the first for me on the Nine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Looks nice and fat on the back of your bike.

I would say lets switch bikes for a bit next time we ride so I can see how it feels to run on a car tire......but you have seen how I ride first hand, so I doubt you would let me anywhere near your bike. LOL

You should get a lot more mileage out of that tire than standard cycle tire.

Enjoy the ride and shiny side up.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 02-07-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Very Active Member

Ok we can swap bikes. Richard rode my VTX with a car tire and doesn't like it. As far as mileage is concerned, I have 15K miles on the car tire on my Gold Wing and it still looks new.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Sounds good, maybe I will see you guys on Monday if I don't get the call to go back to work by then.

BCS

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

That would take some getting used to

Smile Wide treads

Looks good ! I have a 280 x 18 and it did take some adjustment..... that said, I feel glued to the road at any speed !
    Enjoy the ride.
    Max

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrpm View Post
    Looks good ! I have a 280 x 18 and it did take some adjustment..... that said, I feel glued to the road at any speed !
    Enjoy the ride.
    Max
    What are you running for pressure in your rear tire?

Mine feels kind of hard (abrupt leaning), but I'm at 30 psi and don't want to go any lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    What are you running for pressure in your rear tire?

Mine feels kind of hard (abrupt leaning), but I'm at 30 psi and don't want to go any lower.
    After more than 30,000 km with a hankook evo 265, I can tell you imho that less pressure is probably the cause of what you felt on leaning.

I have run it completely flat and this is what I experience. with the normal 46psi that the original dunlop tire required the leaning felt more like a light side step on low speed, and not at all on high.

2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaJack View Post
    After more than 30,000 km with a hankook evo 265, I can tell you imho that less pressure is probably the cause of what you felt on leaning.

I have run it completely flat and this is what I experience. with the normal 46psi that the original dunlop tire required the leaning felt more like a light side step on low speed, and not at all on high.
    Thanks, I'll raise the pressure tomorrow.

Very Active Member

Default Update on Car Tire

I've ridden several hundred miles with the car tire on the back of my Nine.

• Because the tire is wider than the car tires on my other bikes, it took longer for me to become comfortable on curves, side sloped and crowned pavement, and irregular non-paved surfaces.
    • I particularly like the smoothness of the car tie compared to a MT.
    • It takes a bit more effort to initiate a lean and I noticed it at first, but now it feels normal.
    • Once the bikes starts to lean, it will lean over very quickly, so it's quick and easy to zip through the curves. I don't believe that my bike with the car tire is any slower in the curves than it was with the MT.
    • I've ridden a little in the rain, and other than the enormous amount of spray coming off that big tire there doesn't seem to be any difference between the car tire and a MT.

I am using a stock rim, stock swing arm, and my bike hasn't been lowered.

I am very happy with the new car tire.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Nankang NS2R 52 psi always. More is easier i found. Remember as well, a 1 inch lower bike due to the lack of crown on the tyre.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Nankang NS2R 52 psi always. More is easier i found. Remember as well, a 1 inch lower bike due to the lack of crown on the tyre.
    I don't understand the physics of how a wide car tire works better with higher pressure. I could tolerate the car tire in Florida, but when I ride in Kentucky, the more irregular pavement on roads and parking lots sometimes presents a problem. When I get back to KY for the summer I will run the tire with more pressure.