What replacement cable length???

Thread: What replacement cable length???

Cool What replacement cable length???

Hi Guys,
    I've just fitted new Extended aftermarket Handle Bar Risers. You know, the popular Imported ones with the Five large round holes drilled through the sides of each Riser Tower.
    Commonly described as being 9 inches long as a straight line overall length from top to bottom outside corners.

However, I'm not too sure exactly what the added increase in 'Rise' and or 'Pull-back' difference actually is.
    I need to Import the necessary, correct additional length Clutch/Throttle/Brake Cables/Hoses to suit...but I don't know what to order i.e. 'Plus 2 inch' or 'Plus 4 inch' etc.

Please HELP anyone who knows for sure and what is the best source of supply. I will be Importing to New Zealand at great expense so need to get it right.

Cheers, Gladiator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540 (2).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	365593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0539 (2).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	365601Click image for larger version. 

ID:	365601

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I've just fitted new Extended aftermarket Handle Bar Risers. You know, the popular Imported ones with the Five large round holes drilled through the sides of each Riser Tower.
    Commonly described as being 9 inches long as a straight line overall length from top to bottom outside corners.

However, I'm not too sure exactly what the added increase in 'Rise' and or 'Pull-back' difference actually is.
    I need to Import the necessary, correct additional length Clutch/Throttle/Brake Cables/Hoses to suit...but I don't know what to order i.e. 'Plus 2 inch' or 'Plus 4 inch' etc.

Please HELP anyone who knows for sure and what is the best source of supply. I will be Importing to New Zealand at great expense so need to get it right.

Cheers, Gladiator.

Those risers are +2". Get the +4 cables and hoses, they WON'T be too long trust me. I have +2 risers and got +3 cables and brake line and they are NONE too long.

HTH
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    Those risers are +2". Get the +4 cables and hoses, they WON'T be too long trust me. I have +2 risers and got +3 cables and brake line and they are NONE too long.

HTH
    Marty
    Hey Marty, please help me out here, as I have no experience with +2 Risers and/or +2, 3, or 4 Cables. What is the advantage of going with +4 or +3 Cables when your running +2 Risers? My thought has always been that the +2 Cables would be perfect for the +2 Risers, just as the Stock Cables are for the Stock Risers. Please shed some light on this for me, as I just want to have a better understanding.

Thank you Bro.
    Bobby

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Hey Marty, please help me out here, as I have no experience with +2 Risers and/or +2, 3, or 4 Cables. What is the advantage of going with +4 or +3 Cables when your running +2 Risers? My thought has always been that the +2 Cables would be perfect for the +2 Risers, just as the Stock Cables are for the Stock Risers. Please shed some light on this for me, as I just want to have a better understanding.

Thank you Bro.
    Bobby
    Bobby, they are tight, that is why I said get 4" over. I had to fiddle with the clutch a bit so that it didn't bind even at +2 more than the +2 risers, and I routed it exactly the same as the old clutch cable. I wouldn't want excess slop in my cables either but I would rather have a little extra than too tight and constantly pulling and rubbing on things. None of them were excessively long, and if I were to do it over again I would probably get another inch longer. Not sure if they just skimped on the length, but I did check the part numbers against the length chart and they sent what I ordered. Another inch is not much. You can route them a little different to take up or give you a little more or a little less slack, but if they are too short and pulling all the time that can cause problems. Now that I think on it, I got plus 4's in case I wanted to put another set of +2 extensions on top of the +2 risers. And I can tell you I would be hard pressed to make these do another 2 inches. I just got a set of solid plus 2 risers just like what he is talking about and they are still in the box. I am currently running the stock risers and plus 2" Rox extensions. I am only 5' 9" and more leg than arm, so the 9 makes me stretch. I tried for a long time to find the +3 risers that were all one piece but they were no longer made. So I settled with +2 Rox extensions that would swivel made for the BMW, I don't think these cables would make it if I put on the solid +2 risers and then tried to put the Rox extensions back on.

HTH
    Marty

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    Hi Guys,

Cheers, Gladiator.

Gladiator.....I got the Motion Pro cables, and a Galfer brake line. HTH There may be better quality cables out there maybe someone else will chime in.

Marty

Bobby, they are tight, that is why I said get 4" over. I had to fiddle with the clutch a bit so that it didn't bind even at +2 more than the +2 risers, and I routed it exactly the same as the old clutch cable. I wouldn't want excess slop in my cables either but I would rather have a little extra than too tight and constantly pulling and rubbing on things. None of them were excessively long, and if I were to do it over again I would probably get another inch longer. Not sure if they just skimped on the length, but I did check the part numbers against the length chart and they sent what I ordered. Another inch is not much. You can route them a little different to take up or give you a little more or a little less slack, but if they are too short and pulling all the time that can cause problems. Now that I think on it, I got plus 4's in case I wanted to put another set of +2 extensions on top of the +2 risers. And I can tell you I would be hard pressed to make these do another 2 inches. I just got a set of solid plus 2 risers just like what he is talking about and they are still in the box. I am currently running the stock risers and plus 2" Rox extensions. I am only 5' 9" and more leg than arm, so the 9 makes me stretch. I tried for a long time to find the +3 risers that were all one piece but they were no longer made. So I settled with +2 Rox extensions that would swivel made for the BMW, I don't think these cables would make it if I put on the solid +2 risers and then tried to put the Rox extensions back on.

HTH
    Marty
    That makes perfectly good sense Marty, and thank you for the clarification. Good luck with everything Bro, and I hope the weather warms up enough to allow you to add the new items you have. You and Josey are really getting after it with your twins, and I’m loving watching the transformations take place. 😊👍🏆

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    That makes perfectly good sense Marty, and thank you for the clarification. Good luck with everything Bro, and I hope the weather warms up enough to allow you to add the new items you have. You and Josey are really getting after it with your twins, and I’m loving watching the transformations take place. 😊👍🏆
    Bobby,

One thing is for sure, when you do all your own mods, you learn as you go. So far haven't gone completely off the rails, but have wondered if I got the best the first time lol.

I cringe every time I think about how much I have put into this beast.....knowing that it never comes back lol. But I love her.

Marty

Bobby,

One thing is for sure, when you do all your own mods, you learn as you go. So far haven't gone completely off the rails, but have wondered if I got the best the first time lol.

I cringe every time I think about how much I have put into this beast.....knowing that it never comes back lol. But I love her.

Marty
    I think you’ve done a GREAT job Marty, and you’re definitely part of what makes this Forum so great and special. As for your investment into your Big Red Beast, it’s something you can/will cherish simply because you put your all into making your own. There’s no monetary value that can be placed on things you love!!!

I have 5 holes in my risers This what I
    bought it works perfect..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF95B21A-0165-428D-BDE1-AFD7023E406B.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	365617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36A9DD58-2B34-497B-A9F1-382FCAE0518E.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	365625
    They both look the exact same. Fill the clutch cable with a lot
    of what ever oil you put in it quarterly.
    you could put the +4s on mine didn’t need it.
    Last edited by Hogan109r; 01-01-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post
    I have 5 holes in my risers This what I
    bought it works perfect..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF95B21A-0165-428D-BDE1-AFD7023E406B.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	365617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36A9DD58-2B34-497B-A9F1-382FCAE0518E.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	365625
    They both look the exact same. Fill the clutch cable with a lot
    of what ever oil you put in it quarterly.
    You mean your brake line right? Unless you installed a hydraulic clutch on the 9. You need both a push and a pull for the throttle, a new longer brake line for the top portion of the duel front brakes, but I got the whole thing new as I wanted stainless braided line all the way to the calipers. And a new clutch cable, unless like I said you have converted it to a hydraulic clutch, in which case you use dot4 brake fluid just like the brake side. HTH
    Marty

I dont have a pic of throttle cables sorry .
    Your right forgot about them
    from now on I’ll let you do the
    mechanicing I was just trying to help.
    My brake lines are stainless all the way to caliper
    Last edited by Hogan109r; 01-01-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post
    I dont have a pic of throttle cables sorry .
    Your right forgot about them
    from now on I’ll let you do the
    mechanicing I was just trying to help.
    My brake lines are stainless all the way to caliper
    Hogan.....I just read your post again...my bad....you were saying to lube your CABLE.

And all the help anyone can give is always appreciated post away!

Marty

Hogan.....I just read your post again...my bad....you were saying to lube your CABLE.

And all the help anyone can give is always appreciated post away!

Marty

No problem at all I do keep that clutch cable oiled It makes it
    slide so much better . Maybe one day I will go hydrolic.

Contact Andy Medina SR on FB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk