M109 Rider Forums banner

Want to buy, chrome stock rims

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  cbxer55 
#1 ·
As the title says, I am really falling back in love with this (new to me) M109. It is like we are in a sort of relationship, but until I start doing more mods, I consider it as a live in girl friend (would trade it in at any moment).
Well, I am thinking about making more of a commitment to her. I am looking at possibly getting a set of aftermarket, or chrome stock rims (sort of like an engagement ring). Once I do that, I know she will be in my life forever.
So, if anyone knows of a good deal on some stock chrome rims, or a great deal on some aftermarket ones, please let me know. I may end up going with getting a new, exchange set, as I am a little afraid of buying used chrome rims, not knowing the exact condition. If someone has a set and would like to work out a deal on a partial trade towards some cobra exhaust, let me know. I am considering getting something else, as the ones on the bike now are a little loud for this old mans taste.

#2 · (Edited)
Blacklightning, I think your best bet is to do the stock wheels for chrome stock wheels exchange with Chip Simmons. His price for the exchange is very reasonable, the quality of his work is top-notch, and he stands behind his work...no matter what. You should give him a call, and talk it over with him. He's a GREAT guy, and I'm sure you'll find him to be just that.

#5 ·
Blacklightning, I th No your best bet is to do the stock wheels for chrome stock wheels exchange with Chip Simmons. His price for the exchange is very reasonable, the quality of his work is top-notch, and he stands behind his work...no matter what. You should give him a call, and talk it over with him. He's a GREAT guy, and I'm sure you'll find him to be just that.
I agee, and if I cannot find a good used set, I will go that route. There was a set on facebook for around $700, but they had lights on them, and I am not into the lighted wheel thing. Not saying that they don't look good for others, but they are just not my taste.

#4 ·
Little quick for an engament ring big fella...must of been one hellava first ride..make her wait a bit or she will expect to be showered in jewelry for every occasion..Proceed cautiously
Yeah, but I am a motorcycle whore, and I feel like it is time to make a commitment to one bike. If I can get past the first 6 months of being commited, I feel like I should put a ring on it and be commited for life.
Wow, that seems like the same speech that I made to myself 24 years ago, and it has worked out. LoL!

#7 · (Edited)
I don't know what your financial situation is like but I saw this just now.

EDIT...(Link removed....I just made him and offer, if he declines I will post the link back up)

EDIT #2..."Swing and A Miss"....here's the link back....

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/d/2007-suzuki-m109r-le/6416753388.html

You could swap the rims and exhaust from this bike to yours and then resell the bike.

Maybe a stretch for you since you live a ways away, but air fare is cheap and it would be a nice ride back home.

If I were home and had an extra 5k laying around, I would jump on this and do exactly that. (maybe throw an even lower number out and see if he bites)

BCS

#8 ·
I called a local plating company just today, $850 to chrome both rims but the guy on phone told me that although he'll be losing money it was not worth doing it to the rear wheel, said they pit very easy, usually require welding to repair pits and cause wheel to weaken not to mention become very expensive in the process. He said it'd be the same cost as simply purchasing after market chrome rims.
Not sure if anyone else has heard of this scenario but it immediately stopped my thought process of wanting chrome stock rims.
Might check on that.

Company is Atlas Chrome Plating, Atlaschrome.com if you wanna check their website, they specialize in motor cycle chrrome plating so Id like to believe he knew what he was talking about.

#9 ·
I called a local plating company just today, $850 to chrome both rims but the guy on phone told me that although he'll be losing money it was not worth doing it to the rear wheel, said they pit very easy, usually require welding to repair pits and cause wheel to weaken not to mention become very expensive in the process. He said it'd be the same cost as simply purchasing after market chrome rims.
Not sure if anyone else has heard of this scenario but it immediately stopped my thought process of wanting chrome stock rims.
Might check on that.

Company is Atlas Chrome Plating, Atlaschrome.com if you wanna check their website, they specialize in motor cycle chrrome plating so Id like to believe he knew what he was talking about.
That's very intriguing Roadhouse. I had a set of chrome stock wheels on my first 9, and I never had an issue with any sort of pitting, peeling, and anything else. I sold them to a friend here in my local area, because I wanted to go with the fat tire setup on that bike, and bought new aftermarket wheels from Coastal Moto. Those stock M109R wheels I had were chromed back in 2007, and to this very day those same chrome stock wheels look like they did when they were first chromed...FLAWLESS. There's a ton of chrome stock M109R wheels mounted on 9s all over the U.S., and although I haven't seen them all, I think we would have at least heard or read something on this forum, regarding any consistent problems with chroming the M109R stock wheels, and that certainly has not been the case. You should consider going to Chip Simmons for stock chrome wheels. He guarantees, gives a warranty, and stands behind his work long after the sale/exchange. So, if there was to ever be a problem with any pitting or peeling, he would "without fail" take care of the issue. He's located in Georgia, and he comes HIGHLY recommended by many. I've done business with him, and he's an AWESOME guy with impeccable integrity and commitment to doing right by others.

#10 ·
Don't shoOt the messenger, please. Lol!
He did say he believed the problem to be in how the wheel was made, but that's why I said something, to air on the side of caution.
One cool thing he did also mention was he works with a company that can cut and redesign rims, make custom rims from stock ones.
Anyways, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Preston

#13 ·
I am still trying to figure out a way to come up with the cash to pick up the bike I have posted above.
I am close but not there yet.

As much as I really did not want Cobra Swept pipes, I think I can buy that bike, swap my rims and exhaust and turn around and sell it for exactly what I buy it for.
And hopefully turn it around in a week or less....(once I get home)

Biggest obstacals are:

1) Coming up with the cash. ---- (I think I have that one figured out)
2) I am not home to look at the bike before purchasing ----- (I have a friend who is a good mechanic and also owns a 9 so I think I can get him to go check it our for me)
3) Convincing the wife that this is a good idea. ---------------(So far that one is not going over so well and I am pretty sure I will be in the dog house for a while when I go ahead and buy the bike anyway) :eek:

Will be like rubbing salt in a fresh wound.....Piss her off for buying it, then ask her to drive 4 hours round trip to go pick it up. :joke:

Leaving it to faith to see if I can pull this off or not.

I think I should be able to recoup all if not darn close to all of my money......what do you guys think?

BCS

#20 ·
My girl has been a blessing. Knowing I was losing a few grand in trading my Toyota Tundra for this Boulevard, her realizing how happy having the bike would make me she gave me the go ahead and the only remark she's made since is how much she likes this bike.

Think I'll be marrying this one..

#25 · (Edited)
Well we got it, picked it up today.
My buddy picked it up for me and drove it to his house.

The bike is a beauty looks and sounds great. I can't wait to get home and see it up close.

In fact he loves the LE so much that after I get the parts I want off of it, he wants to keep the LE and we are going to sell his 06 Silver M109 instead of frankensteining both bikes. (To bad I have such a sentimental attachment to my "Big Red" or I would be tempted to keep the LE myself also)

So if anyone is looking for a 9 let me know.
(Will also have PC-V, a backrest, a set of chrome salad bowls and possibly a set of Cobra Swept's that will be sold separately)

Pictures of both bikes shown below.

Attachments

#29 ·
The decision to buy aftermarket wheels vs. having your stock wheels chromed should be your own, based on how much money you're willing to spend, and how dynamic you want your bike to look. The cost of aftermarket wheels are exponentially more costly than chromed stock wheels, and based on you're preference, the design of aftermarket wheels can greatly effect the enhance the look of your bike. CoastalMoto is the best and most cost-effective site in which to purchase aftermarket wheels for the 9. No other company can match or beat their prices for wheel and tire combinations, which also come delivered to your door with tires mounted and wheels balanced with Dyna Bead balancing beads already installed. I have purchased two sets from them, and both were and are still flawless. You can go to www.coastalmoto.com, or call them at 888-889-6686. No matter who you speak with there, that person is going to give you the best deal possible. They even have a layaway program, for those who may not be able to pay the entire cost at once.

Be sure to tell the Rep. that you were referred to them by Bobby from Kentucky, and I spoke highly of CoastalMoto...as always. They truly are very good and reputable organization.

#31 ·
Your newly polished-painted wheels and your bike look GREAT BL. There’s nothing negative to be said about polished wheels. My best friend has a set of polished wheels on his 9, and if you saw them you wouldn’t be able to distinguish whether they were chrome or polish. As well, I’ve seen many custom bikes with polished wheels and other polished components installed. Again, in most instances, I couldn’t tell if they were chromed or polished, due to the level of polishing the owners had performed on them. I can tell you with 100% proof that the White Diamonds wheel polish/cleaner/protectant is the best product on the market. You can use it on all polished and chromed parts. You will be amazed at the outcome if/when you try it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.