M109 Rider Forums banner

Problem with front suspension?

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  mist82 
#1 ·
hey everyone. i have somewhat a problem with my front. cant seem to figure out what it is, but i am leaning towards the fork.

when i start moving, if i give a bit more throttle, and get to the friction zone while releasing the clutch, i will fell this violent shaking/jumping of the front of the bike (feels like wheel is bouncing up). while riding my front fork doesn't bottom out unless i hit something, i am also not a small guy, but i hear from time to time a clunk (or feel it in my floorboards) like you would feel on a car with bad front end links, or some bushings on the front suspension (dont know how else to describe it).

i have read a lot about this occasional clunk, people say you just have to live with it and its something our bikes do?

i cant figure out the "jumping" of the front when i want to start off a bit harder. when i give less throttle, and release the clutch, it goes, no problem, but when i want to punch it to start a bit more, i`ll get this shaking. if this was posted before, please point me to it, i cant seem to find this specific problem that anyone had with a C. also my fork seems pretty steady, and not too soft when i push down on it.

is it a fork issue? something else in the neck area where fork connects? i have a feeling that there is slight vibration when i punch it when already moving on the highway, and that vibration goes away when i reach a steady speed and keep the throttle. again this vibration seems to come from the front as well.

any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
100% clutch shudder...it sux...I’ve had it for couple years now..my new 2011 clutch just showed up last Friday..can’t wait to get it in and get my 1st gear hole shots back...I have to baby 1st gear right now to get it to fully engage but can rip the rest of the shifts...

#4 ·
100% clutch shudder...it sux...I've had it for couple years now..my new 2011 clutch just showed up last Friday..can't wait to get it in and get my 1st gear hole shots back...I have to baby 1st gear right now to get it to fully engage but can rip the rest of the shifts...
damn it. so i was looking at a wrong thing. thanks for the tips. i thought something is up with my fork. ok, now to clutch shudder. i know nothing about this, so would you mind giving me a few tips in short of what i need to do?

i`ll also get onto research now. damn it feels awful when it happens, i thought my bike will fall apart!

#5 · (Edited)
As stated it sounds like clutch shudder but it will not affect your front wheel cause it's free spinning and not connected to the drive train where the shudder comes from. Basically your clutch plates are gummed up with oil so they cannot smoothly slip so instead they grab and release rapidly which causes that violent rear wheel hopping that shudders the whole bike.

That clunk you feel is something that happens on most every 109 ive had contact with but Nobody that i am aware of has either figured out what it is that makes that clunk feel in the pegs nor does it seem to cause any problems. Im not saying its a good thing only that its been around since the beginning of this model and although a bit irritating it does seem to be harmless.

#6 ·
yeah reading about it now, it sucks. would you be able to point me in the right direction for the fix? the whole clutch needs to be replaced? certain parts? what and where to buy? a how to on how to do the repair? might not be able to tackle this right away, but do want to fix it. a bit low on cash right now. would you happen to know what something like this costs to fix?

#7 ·
Either do a search or post a thread asking for the clutch shudder repair info in the title and someone who has done it recently will most likely show up by the end of the day.

Someone out there has a "how to" written up with a parts list included but i cant remember who it was offhand.

#20 ·
:agree: if there is anyway possible for you to spare the roughly $50 shipped to your door i would absolutely do it......But if you cant just be sure to clean up the old set and soak overnight if possible and hope for the best. Worst case scenario you have to go back in. If you are very careful you should be able to separate the cover without tearing it up. Its good to have something like a 1 sided razor or sharp scraper within reach incase you run into a spot that is sticking, slip the razor between the gasket and case and gently help it along just be careful not to slice the gasket, your finger and to gouge the case or cover.

#25 · (Edited)
hey guys...got lazy, and finally found some time over a rainy evening to take it all apart, and replace the rings. past 2 days were awesome here in NYC area, and i took it out for a test ride.
i was shudder free for the first time since i bought it :hot::hot::hot:

i did many times what i know caused the shudder immediately, and it never happened. i can actually take off now from a full stop, before my whole bike would be taking off the ground when i try to roll on a bit more than a few mm while releasing the clutch.

so i did all 3 rings, and i did the push pin mod. will be testing more when weather gets better, its about to rain here now for 4 days, but i had a question. when i took the stuff out, other than a bit of dirt from oil and maybe some dust particles on edges of the rings, i have noticed that the rings were quite dry. does this mean i dont have enough oil in the clutch? do i need to add? or was this because push pin was just not releasing enough. the pin was soaked in oil when i took it out. Oh yeah, that gasket...there was no way of taking that thing off in one piece. Luckely i ordered one. That thing was so dry and brittle, it ripped into 100 pieces.

funny thing is my speedometer doesn't work now LOL. i haven't touched anything there, so i`ll have to lift the tank see whats going on, but the display and lights are on, and pointer doesnt move. strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.