How cold is your "too cold"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How cold is your "too cold"?

Default How cold is your "too cold"?

I'm wondering where everyone's set point is for "too cold to ride"?

Sounds like I'm' a whimp, but mine is 50 degrees F. I like to ride without a windshield, but it makes the wind chill in cold weather unbearable even with multiple layers and heated gear. Then there's the fact that your so layered up that you feel like a Michelin man and when off the bike can start to sweat.

What's yours?

lb

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member JerryAttrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post

Sounds like I'm' a whimp, but mine is 50 degrees F. I like to ride without a windshield, but it makes the wind chill in cold weather unbearable even with multiple layers and heated gear. Then there's the fact that your so layered up that you feel like a Michelin man and when off the bike can start to sweat.

What's yours?

lb
    For going on a fun ride by choice, probably about 15 deg C. Ideal is about 18 - 23 deg C.
    Growing old disgracefully... with a black '08 109R2.
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post

What's yours?

lb
    It was in the high 50's when I left my house before daylight to head out for our ride this past weekend......I was only wearing a T-shirt and my leather vest.

It was a little chilly but tolerable. (Temps got up into the 80's around noon)

I don't think it can get cold enough in Florida to keep me off the bike.

Lower 50's just put on a leather jacket, if it drops into the 40's or lower then long johns, leather jacket & gloves and ready to roll.

As long as its not raining most of us in the Sunshine State will keep riding year round no matter how low the temperature gets.

Big Red runs great breathing that cool air.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 11-07-2017 at 03:22 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I will have to agree with loblo. When I get bundled up I feel like that kid in ďA Christmas StoryĒ. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2011 M109R Blue with a lot of chrome (Sally)
    I named the truck wife named the bike

I respect you guys/gals who ride in cold weather 👍, but I just canít do it. 😳😊

To me, a motorcycle is a ďrecreational vehicle.Ē Riding in weather thatís so cold I would have to put on layers of clothing underneath my riding gear is not recreational, in my opinion 😨. When I ride my bikes it is to enjoy the riding experience, which includes the weather, and Iím not enjoying riding when I have to layer up as if I was going hiking in the mountains and hills of Wyoming in the winter. In addition, most often, when the weather is cold (50* F or below) in the state of Kentucky the road conditions are much less safe for riding, and I donít even consider getting on a bike. Honestly, for me, once the weather dips to below 65* F Iíll be traveling in my car for sure.

Well said Judah-9. I think , in my case, age is a possible factor, turned 69 the first part of October. Granted my 18 year old mind always has conflicts with my 69 year old body. Riding when itís cold my body wins.

US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2011 M109R Blue with a lot of chrome (Sally)
    I named the truck wife named the bike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

My all time low temp was 29 degrees, but that was on the spyder. As for when riding on the 9, I have ridden as low as 39 degrees. But to be comfortable, I would say that above 50 is preferred. To me, 60-70 degrees is perfect. It allows me to gear up with leather or my triteck jacket and still not be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post
    Well said Judah-9. I think , in my case, age is a possible factor, turned 69 the first part of October. Granted my 18 year old mind always has conflicts with my 69 year old body. Riding when itís cold my body wins.

I couldnít agree with your more Bobby. I know for sure my age has a great deal to do with why I canít, donít, and wonít ride in cold weather. As Iíve grown older, Iíve become less adventurous, but a great deal more wise, as it pertains to riding.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Just glad I live in an area where we can ride year round.

My bike sees enough garage time as it is since I am away at work for half the year or better.

Big Red is scratching on the garage door wanting to come out play when she hears me arrive back home. (No matter what the temp)

I am a fair weather rider though when it comes to rain....hate riding in it and if I have the option I will not ride in the rain.

BCS

Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar

50 is my way cold point.
    60 is chilly, I can do that. Below 55 is a no-go.
    I HATE SLEEVES. With a passion. I am tropical, so I need heat.
    I think 70 to 75 is perfect.
    Custom Z-Bars. Chromed Holey Grips. Scythe Knock Off Mirrors. Bullet Turn Signals. GMan ATRE. Cobra PowrPro (thanks Laurex). McNEMO Custom Rat Rod Exhaust. Custom Polished & Painted Stock Wheels. Smoked & Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light. Stealth LED signals under rear fender. De-beavered with plate mount. Edelbrock ProFlow Intakes. Plasti-dipped Speedo Housing, Chrome Rear Fender Rails, Tach Box and Chrome on Headlight Cowl.

wish we had some of your weather over here in scotland 70 to 75 would be a heatwave over here it was 35 when i was out yesterday it felt a bit chilly but still fun

Like was said on here, a motorcycle is more a recreational vehicle to me. I don't have to ride it as I only live about six miles from work. And my preference when I do ride is to take the long way, both in and coming home after midnight. So hence, I don't really save any gas money riding, compared to going directly to work in my old Ranger. So, 50 degrees fahrenheit is about it for me. Once I have to start putting so much gear on it makes it uncomfortable, why bother? I've ridden into the mid 30's a few times, when the weather cats got it wrong. Said it would be 50's when I got off work, and instead it was in the 30's. Major oops on their part, but it happens. I can deal with it, since it only has to be six miles, but don't like it all that much.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I ride as much as I can throughout the winter, as long as the roads are clear of snow and water that will most likely have salt in it. It has already been below zero several times here in the morning on my way too or from work, depending on my shift. I seldom wear even long underwear on my legs unless I will be out for several hours in that temp. If it stays down around -10 I will bear a full face helmet but until that point I usually just wear half helmet and a face mask. When we are below that -10 mark I do usually throw on a sweatshirt under my jacket or put the liner back in though, You get a lot of strange looks though when you are out in those temps.

When I was living up in the mountains, my cut off was 40. I had a 25 mile commute and the wind chill anything below 40 (especially at the speeds I drive) was ungodly

I'd say 45 is about my basement.
    A few years back I moved from KC to Austin. Needed to get my bike from KC. It was February.
    I saw a weather window where forecast said high 40's all the way down. Wrong.
    Started the ride with snow flurries and 29. Warmest it hit was 34. 7 hours straight.
    Near hypothermia.
    And now...a message from our sponsors.

I love to ride. But when I brought my Corbin seat the young lady handling my order over the phone asked, "Would you like to add a heated seat?". I said Oh no, I don't think i will ever be in a situation that would warrant it's use. So I guess that would be the best way to describe my feelings on riding in the cold weather.
    Clear tall Vstream / OEM Black Engine guard / PowrPro Black / REVO 6" Bass Cannon/ Some 9 L.E.D.s / Revo Rear cowl LED / Swampwork LED Rear turn signals / Corbin Seat. / Airnott Air Ride / Revo Devil Eye.

At 50 degrees on my Magnum, I'm still riding in a hoodie. Anything below that, I'm breaking out the leather jackets. The Magnum has pretty good wind protection tho. On the 9, I'll have a leather jacket on under 60 degrees. I'll ride every month of the year as long as there is no salt, sand, snow, or ice on the roads. Staying warm is more about the layers and wind protection. You don't have to bundle up to the point you look like the Michelin Man to stay warm. Just need a few thin layers and wind protection.

Im not sure the coldest temp I've ridden in, but it was definitely below freezing on both bikes.

Very Active Member fastbandit58's Avatar

Default riding in the cold

I have been in the 20s here in Ocean city I had gone to church that morning, my hands did not thaw out until the end of the service, that was 5 miles one way and just my heavy leather jacket and gloves. Will never do that again. I will ride as long as it is over 40.

Fastbandit

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

When Iím stuck riding threw slush.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. July 26-30.
    Planning stage. Location secured

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

The coldest that Iíve ridden in was 26* for two hours for the baton exchange. I wore my M109 leather jacket, Suzuki winter gloves and my rain pants. My leather overpants were on backorder and I couldnít wait for delivery. My hands were frozen and took 30 minutes to thaw out in the restroom. I would say 45* is my lowest temp to ride out in.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Very Active Member

Before moving to Florida and Kentucky I rode for forty years in New Hampshire, including two winters on my Suzuki TS-400. The coldest morning I rode 15 miles to work was -15F. Snowmobile suit, scarf, full face helmet, Sorrel boots, and snowmobile mittens with gauntlet windbreakers.

I have never not ridden because of the cold, but now I am a bit of a wimp and will ride the Gold Wing on long rides when the temperature is below 50. But as BCS said, it doesn't get cold enough in Florida not to ride.

It's not the cold that makes riding painful, it's the speed and the distance.

I have riden in the 20ís once on my 9. It was a 5 hour day in the mountains. Having the right gear is key in any temperature.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

This was cold enough for me .

Early morning in Bryce Canyon, end of May this year, on a rented Indian Chieftain. Temp is in Celsius, so that was about 26 F. Nice day though, warmed up quickly.
    Last edited by DutchM1800R2; 11-10-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: image size

Thanks for the memory refresh DutchM1800R2,
    in 2014 I rented a Goldwing in Phoenix ,Arizona

10 day trip , on second day , rode in a Tshirt , and no helmet , got a sunburn
    that's OK , I had to protect skin from the sun and the weather helped because;
    day 3 , full gear in a snow storm , turned 90 degrees away from snow storm ,
    and 30 minutes later , we were in 70 degree weather , Ah those mountains of Utah
    too cold is when your " metal " Watch bracelet gets so cold that your left hand is paralysed
    and will not respond to your brain's command , I had that happen once.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post

I'm with you and Judah, I ride to enjoy it, 50's is as low as I want to go. I rode home the other night and it was around 34, it was in the 50's when I went to the bar, night came and it went down fast. In 20 minutes my ears were froze lol. And I am up there too....68. Oh and with a 18 yo brain lol.

Marty

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Well, it was 24 hear in the Raleigh, NC area this morning, and has finally made it up to 32. Since I have ridden my new scoot a total of 2 miles (rode to a veterans day event at the YMCA around the corner), I am itching to get out. It is supposed to get up to 45-48 today, so I will be riding out somewhere. If nothing else, I will ride out to my local dealer and get an extra key made.
    Just remember, cold weather equals cold pavement and cold tires. That all means low traction.

In freezing temp.
    your knees will take a couple hours to get back to temperature.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Very Active Member tonymontanna1983's Avatar

33*F and not a degree colder

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    I'm with you and Judah, I ride to enjoy it, 50's is as low as I want to go. I rode home the other night and it was around 34, it was in the 50's when I went to the bar, night came and it went down fast. In 20 minutes my ears were froze lol. And I am up there too....68. Oh and with a 18 yo brain lol.

Marty
    I hear you loud and clear Marty!!!😂😂😂

Iíve been caught out there in the cold trying to get back home several times in my earlier riding days, which I found to be ďnot my cup of tea.Ē The faster I rode to get home and out of the cold weather, the more cold I became. Thereís not many things worse than riding and freezing, in my opinion. Iím thankful that at this point in my life itís very easy for me to say ďNOĒ to riding when itís cold out. When I was younger, I always thought I could tough it out, and I suffered and lost every time.😫😂😂 Now I just jump in my Dodge Charger SRT-8 when itís cold out and I need to get somewhere quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    I hear you loud and clear Marty!!!😂😂😂

Iíve been caught out there in the cold trying to get back home several times in my earlier riding days, which I found to be ďnot my cup of tea.Ē The faster I rode to get home and out of the cold weather, the more cold I became. Thereís not many things worse than riding and freezing, in my opinion.
    I found that out the hard way too. Went to a get together at 60F. When I left that night it was 40F and I have a 2 hour ride on the highway home! I ended up staying on the service road at 40mph because 70 was making it worse!

I laugh about it now, but man that was miserable!

lb