Blew up my Secondary drive

Thread: Blew up my Secondary drive

Default Blew up my Secondary drive

Hey guys, My secondary drive exploded the other day. Pulled out of a light leaving work, was right next to a co-worker so decided to do a wheelie. Brought it up, I think I missed second gear coming down. By the time I got it in gear it felt like I was in 4th. But it didn't want to go anywhere, felt like something was broken for sure. Tried to accelerate but was only met with clunking from the secondary. Coasted to a stop, Tried taking off again in first and could hear it was definitely the secondary. Which I guess is good because I really didn't want to tear the engine out again this winter. I got home and took the secondary off and my thoughts were realized. Its broke.

Looks like I knocked both the dogs off of the secondary gear. There are a couple small marks on the gear on the transmission. But they are all on the inside of the gear by the retaining bolt so it looks ok. Trying to decide how to approach fixing it. Looks like my options are rebuilding mine, or buying a used complete secondary. Buying a new set of gears would cost me $540 for the pair, just for the gears. But only one is bad and it will be more of a pain to swap out the gear on the trany. A used secondary would be much cheaper but will leave me with a mismatched set of bevel gears, And it may be questionable on the durability. I'm kinda wondering if I did this once how long will it be before I break another one.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Ohh one last note. There was a bunch of metal stuck to the speedometer sensor when I took it apart. I have had intermittent problems with my speedometer wigging out and reading around 90-120mph when im cruising at 55-60. I read somewhere on here that is caused by metal on the sensor. So i'm pretty sure I have been damaging my secondary for a while and there has been metal floating around in there. If you see your speedo wigging out it may be a symptom of a failing secondary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have one with a blown rear seal, not planing to repair it. If you want to use it for parts I can let it go for $125 shipped
    Last edited by some 9; 10-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Default Secondary drive

Was wondering how this turned out .
    Did you get this problem fixed .

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Still working on it, I bought the one from Some 9. Unfortunately the main bearing in that one is done for. I'm hoping to take the good parts from each to make one working secondary which I think will work. Mine is being difficult and not wanting to come apart however, not sure If there's some metal shavings gumming it up or if its just being stubborn. Might have to get it over to a press or something. I've only really put a couple hours into messing around with it so far. Not in a huge hurry since it's mostly too cold to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by shrk352 View Post
    Hey guys, My secondary drive exploded the other day
    I'm sorry to hear that .
    What year is your bike and what mileage?

Mine is a 2007 with 70K Km and it's now at a workshop to have the seconday gear's bearing replaced - the engine has been removed from the bike last week, not it will be opened to change the bearing and all other parts which are weared (I also ordered special-built gear forks and shift rods, 2nd and 3d gears back-cut).
    Last edited by Dommy; 12-19-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that .
    What year is your bike and what mileage?

Mine is a 2007 with 70K Km and it's now at a workshop to have the seconday gear's bearing replaced - the engine has been removed from the bike last week, not it will be opened to change the bearing and all other parts which are weared (I also ordered special-built gear forks and shift rods, 2nd and 3d gears back-cut).

Mines a 2008, 24k miles. I back cut my 2nd and 3rd last winter, along with forks and rods. Rode it a little too hard this year I guess. Thing was running like a champ after the rebuild. Honestly I do beat the **** out of this thing when I ride though.

Very Active Member

Maybe the cause is because you guys are abusing the second gear ? I know of some guys that are in second gear almost all the time (like when you are on the city) and after a while , the violent jump in the gears with the acceleration all the time , starts to take the toll and deteriorate the tooth of the gears until it explodes ...
    I try to use the 2nd gear only the minimum and I go for the 3rd and 4th as soon as I can , even if it requires me to be downshifting more , but I don`t care ... I prefer taking care of my transmission which is more important .
    Same with downshifting and braking with the engine compression : I use 4th and 3rd mostly to downshift and 2nd almost never ... by that time , I am getting to a stop at a very low speed already so I then shift to Neutral and finish the stop with the brakes . That saves a lot of wear on the 2nd gear and on the brakes .
    Well, that is my way of riding , anyway . I happen to think that these bikes are made like tanks , but also need to be treated with care , or they will break , just like everything else that is abused.
    Last edited by josey88; 01-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Secondary refers to the gearing and drive system after the main transmission, not the 2nd gear in the transmission.

However, I agree on the abuse. Pulling a wheelie on a 9 is begging for this to happen. They aren't dirt bikes or crotch rockets. :)
    Last edited by Darkwing_Duck; 01-21-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    2007 M109R in Red
    Undertank Intake, TrackDay TRE, Debadged, Driver Boogie Boards, 2" Kewl Metal Riser Extensions, Custom Bungee Buttons, Grasshopper Driver backrest, Dunlop E3 250

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Maybe the cause is because you guys are abusing the second gear ? I know of some guys that are in second gear almost all the time (like when you are on the city) and after a while , the violent jump in the gears with the acceleration all the time , starts to take the toll and deteriorate the tooth of the gears until it explodes ...
    I try to use the 2nd gear only the minimum and I go for the 3rd and 4th as soon as I can , even if it requires me to be downshifting more , but I don`t care ... I prefer taking care of my transmission which is more important .
    Same with downshifting and braking with the engine compression : I use 4th and 3rd mostly to downshift and 2nd almost never ... by that time , I am getting to a stop at a very low speed already so I then shift to Neutral and finish the stop with the brakes . That saves a lot of wear on the 2nd gear and on the brakes .
    Well, that is my way of riding , anyway . I happen to think that these bikes are made like tanks , but also need to be treated with care , or they will break , just like everything else that is abused.
    Yeah, we just have very different riding styles. If im commuting, or touring then I ride like that. But usually I'm riding the tires off this thing, and all my touring has been to get to places to ride. Such as Pikes peak, tail of the dragon, the triple nickel, or Iron mountain road. I rode the tail of the dragon 3 times this year and I was in 2nd gear for 90% of the 11 miles. I mean, I know I shouldn't do wheelies, but I came from dirtbikes, and it just looks so damn crazy on this bike. HAHA. Plus I do all my own maintenance so it just means more work for myself if I break something, and gives me an excuse to mess around with the bike some more, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shrk352 View Post
    Yeah, we just have very different riding styles. If im commuting, or touring then I ride like that. But usually I'm riding the tires off this thing, and all my touring has been to get to places to ride. Such as Pikes peak, tail of the dragon, the triple nickel, or Iron mountain road. I rode the tail of the dragon 3 times this year and I was in 2nd gear for 90% of the 11 miles. I mean, I know I shouldn't do wheelies, but I came from dirtbikes, and it just looks so damn crazy on this bike. HAHA. Plus I do all my own maintenance so it just means more work for myself if I break something, and gives me an excuse to mess around with the bike some more, lol.
    Nice wheelie.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Don't see many wheelies on a 9. Seen a video or 2 and that's it

Nice riding

It's short, but here's the vid. Just blip the throttle, get the front end to go down, and when it rebounds back up give it full throttle and pull. If the tire doesn't spin it comes right up.

pretty wild lifting such a big bike up, I wouldn't ever try it but you sure made it look easy!

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Nice

I like it

I've never lifted mine that high, but I've done a wheelie or two before on my 9.

So. Much. Fun!

Is it difficult to take the seconfary gear off as i have an oil leak coming from there

It's easier to take off than put on. There is a step by step. If the bearing is bad contact futurR. He can get the bearing cheaper and can rebuilt it for you.

Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67353
    Last edited by UVATom; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:42 PM.