Wanting to get an ATV for 2 up

Thread: Wanting to get an ATV for 2 up

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Wanting to get an ATV for 2 up

I'm a bit skittish riding in the dirt, mud and such, also found out quads are for one person unless built for 2. The best and least tippy quad looks to be the Polaris 1000 Xp touring. I have one day to figure it out. I want to explore the forest roads and take mom fishing. Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member JerryAttrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    I'm a bit skittish riding in the dirt, mud and such, also found out quads are for one person unless built for 2. The best and least tippy quad looks to be the Polaris 1000 Xp touring. I have one day to figure it out. I want to explore the forest roads and take mom fishing. Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They (quads) are used off-road in New Zealand here a heck of a lot and many have been modified to allow a rear seating position. My suggestion, if you are also considering some true off-road gnarly stuff, is not to go too big as they can be a real handful and heavy, making them much more difficult to manoeuvre in the tight sections. The most advantageous qualities in off-road use are agility and adequate power. Something around 400-600cc will amaze you at what it can do and where it can go. Good luck in finding something suitable, and if you're not going to be with a group of riders, look at getting a winch. Getting stuck miles away from a road is not a happy experience!
    Growing old disgracefully... with a black '08 109R2.
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryAttrick View Post
    They (quads) are used off-road in New Zealand here a heck of a lot and many have been modified to allow a rear seating position. My suggestion, if you are also considering some true off-road gnarly stuff, is not to go too big as they can be a real handful and heavy, making them much more difficult to manoeuvre in the tight sections. The most advantageous qualities in off-road use are agility and adequate power. Something around 400-600cc will amaze you at what it can do and where it can go. Good luck in finding something suitable, and if you're not going to be with a group of riders, look at getting a winch. Getting stuck miles away from a road is not a happy experience!
    Thanks, I'm hoping for some test rides today! Great insight !

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. July 26-30.

In Canada, you can put plates on them and ride on the road IIRC. You can not make and ride a 1up bike 2up legally tho.

There are not very many 2up ATV's out there. Can Am has the Outlander Max. Attic Cat has one as does Polaris. I believe CF Moto has one as well. With all of the issues (fires and recalls) I would shy away from Polaris products for a while. I am very familiar with Can Am. I would look at the 650 outlander max. Artic Cat has a 550 and 700 in 2up model. Can Am has the detuned keys that cut power and top speed if you end up getting a bike that is too much for you in the beginning, then switch to the full power key when you are more comfortable. Just like motorcycles, there are safety classes available that I would highly recommend if you are new to off road and ATV's. You would be amazed at what ATV's are capable of with a skilled rider. On ATVs, there are lots of times where more throttle is the answer. That is where the bigger displacement motors come in. Just starting out, I would recommend a 1up bike for each of you vs a 2up bike. Riding with a passenger is just as different on an ATV as it is on a motor cycle. If there is anywhere that rents ATVs in your area, I would recommend doing that first. It will help you decide what you really want in a bike before you spend a lot of money on something only to find later that there was a better option. Rushing a purchase like that without doing a fair amount of research is not going to turn out well in most cases.

Another option is a SxS. In that catagory, you can get everything from a souped up golf cart to a full on mini trophy truck, and anything in between. There are some good options out there depending on what you will be using it for.

Check out some of the non brand related forums for ATVs. This is a good one.

http://rocksandruts.net

Let is know what you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    In Canada, you can put plates on them and ride on the road IIRC. You can not make and ride a 1up bike 2up legally tho.

There are not very many 2up ATV's out there. Can Am has the Outlander Max. Attic Cat has one as does Polaris. I believe CF Moto has one as well. With all of the issues (fires and recalls) I would shy away from Polaris products for a while. I am very familiar with Can Am. I would look at the 650 outlander max. Artic Cat has a 550 and 700 in 2up model. Can Am has the detuned keys that cut power and top speed if you end up getting a bike that is too much for you in the beginning, then switch to the full power key when you are more comfortable. Just like motorcycles, there are safety classes available that I would highly recommend if you are new to off road and ATV's. You would be amazed at what ATV's are capable of with a skilled rider. On ATVs, there are lots of times where more throttle is the answer. That is where the bigger displacement motors come in. Just starting out, I would recommend a 1up bike for each of you vs a 2up bike. Riding with a passenger is just as different on an ATV as it is on a motor cycle. If there is anywhere that rents ATVs in your area, I would recommend doing that first. It will help you decide what you really want in a bike before you spend a lot of money on something only to find later that there was a better option. Rushing a purchase like that without doing a fair amount of research is not going to turn out well in most cases.

Another option is a SxS. In that catagory, you can get everything from a souped up golf cart to a full on mini trophy truck, and anything in between. There are some good options out there depending on what you will be using it for.

Check out some of the non brand related forums for ATVs. This is a good one.

http://rocksandruts.net

Let is know what you decide to do.
    Okay my friend, great points here, I'm going to a place where there is an off road club/camp site. I'm going to check it out tomorrow band see what's there. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Okay my friend, great points here, I'm going to a place where there is an off road club/camp site. I'm going to check it out tomorrow band see what's there. Stay tuned!

So... how did the visit go?

Something else to consider is what other things will you use it for besides just trail riding on logging roads? What all will you want to take with you on your rides. Will it be a work and play vehicle pulling double duty on your property, or just a toy. Be sure to plan on new tires in most cases right away. Most manufacturers put the cheapest POS tires on new bikes. There are a few exceptions of course.

I am am a big fan of the Yamaha Grizzly (it is only 1up) it is light and nimble, has decent handling, good bottom end torque, the best 4WD system and the best CVT in the industry. It is comfortable for all day riding and does just as well when you need to do some work. The only thing I can think of that would be an improvement is if they finally started putting a twin or triple cylinder motor in it with more displacement. 700cc single cylinder is as big as they come for now. My wife and I both ride Grizzlys. I sold my Can Am XMR 1000 last fall. It was an all out mud machine. Handle bars were shoulder height on me. I'm 6'2". Here are a few pictures of our bikes.

Work

Name:  IMG_3807.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  119.3 KB

Trail

Name:  IMG_1483.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  58.8 KB

My Wife playing in the mud.

Name:  IMG_0808.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  95.7 KB

My Can Am

Name:  IMG_2686.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  119.4 KB
    Last edited by Poseidon; 10-02-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Here are a few more...

Name:  DSC_5554 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  9784891132_c8e3ac527e_o.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  DSC_8768 - Version 2-X3.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8775 - Version 2-X3.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  58.0 KB

Default Wanting to get an ATV for 2 up

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    So... how did the visit go?

Something else to consider is what other things will you use it for besides just trail riding on logging roads? What all will you want to take with you on your rides. Will it be a work and play vehicle pulling double duty on your property, or just a toy. Be sure to plan on new tires in most cases right away. Most manufacturers put the cheapest POS tires on new bikes. There are a few exceptions of course.

I am am a big fan of the Yamaha Grizzly (it is only 1up) it is light and nimble, has decent handling, good bottom end torque, the best 4WD system and the best CVT in the industry. It is comfortable for all day riding and does just as well when you need to do some work. The only thing I can think of that would be an improvement is if they finally started putting a twin or triple cylinder motor in it with more displacement. 700cc single cylinder is as big as they come for now. My wife and I both ride Grizzlys. I sold my Can Am XMR 1000 last fall. It was an all out mud machine. Handle bars were shoulder height on me. I'm 6'2". Here are a few pictures of our bikes.

Work

Name:  IMG_3807.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  119.3 KB

Trail

Name:  IMG_1483.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  58.8 KB

My Wife playing in the mud.

Name:  IMG_0808.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  95.7 KB

My Can Am

Name:  IMG_2686.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  119.4 KB
    Holly! Amazing aquatic abilities you two have on those things, wow! Nice to know I'll be okay with a bit of water. We have a bunch of rules about using machines in creeks, streams, and any fish bearing body's of water. Your wife sure is brave. This is so great to see she's right into it! Lol

I realy don't think I'll be needing to get to muddy. But as the adventure goes, I may be stuck needing to go through all kinds of stuff. Very cool adventure your having in those pictures, group stuff too! Very nice, thank you so much for sharing.

I did look at Can am, they look the coolest by far! I got this machine, see the link below, for its function to accommodate a passenger , and reviews, and we have a dealer really close to us, and the factory incentives which ended September 30th where good as well; I got approx $4,000 off.

I'm hoping to do a lot of camping, fishing, hunting and exploring. To include taking my mom on a lot of these outings, she's been a trouper so far, so amazing she was able to tolerate riding the bumps, the quad is quite amazingly smooth on bumps. I have to go fairly slow for the first 20 hours... I think... I was half asleep reading the manual. Lol I don't even know how to use the instrumental cluster yet.

Here is my wedding anniversary gift. I don't know how long this link will be available as I'm just trying out the GoPro

https://gopro.com/v/n8OvVo7VzG0G
    the EPS light went out by the second start up of out adventure.

I picked this one because of the power steering and the YouTube videos I watched, I was impressed as to the stability for the passenger when handling on rough surface, inclines and declines. Also on the forum I read a lot of complaints that it was hard to do a wheelie for the touring models/2 up model. Touring is what I'll be doing most, long trips in the back country. Just what I can't do on my 9.

I just Love this machine. Still lots to learn and discover. I'm still in break in mode. I took mom on a big ride to Allendale lake already, I was amazed just how easy it is to opperate, my husband called me a turtle! Just wait! Lol

Last edited by biker-chicky; 10-02-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Congrats on the new Polaris! They are nice machines. Like I said in my earlier post tho, recently they have had some issues with recalls and fires on several of their products. Be sure and join up on one of the Polaris forums and keep up with any issues other owners are posting about. Aside from that, they are fun bikes with a lot of nice features. You are going to have a blast on it. Enjoy!!!

We have the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. It is about a 4-5 hour drive to get there, but there are over 1000 miles of trails and it is one of the few places in the U.S. where you can legally ride ATVs on the roads. It is nice to be able to ride into town, fuel up, grab a bite to eat, and head back out to the trails. We either stay at a camp ground or rent a house in town if there are enough of us in the group. Last time we rented a house for a week and I think it ended up being $80 per person for the entire week vs $40 per night at the campground. We almost always get a group together for a long weekend or a week in the mountains. Always a good time.

Very Active Member JerryAttrick's Avatar

Well done BC, i'm sure you're going to have a blast on your new toy and that as you learn more of its capabilities, you'll be doing more and more adventurous trips and challenges.

And all the advice from Poseidon was worth gold, he nailed all the salient points for you.
    Growing old disgracefully... with a black '08 109R2.
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Nice ride BC

I like the big Polaris 4x4s. They handle very nicely and do an amazing job with softening the bumps not to mention they are nearly unstoppable and can easy clear a path through dense sapling and brush undergrowth if needed. They are definitely a strong workhorse that can be drafted into home maintenance if you have land that needs it. Its awesome you are getting your mother out there with you, thats fantastic.