Replacing fuel filter AND pump at the same time ?

Thread: Replacing fuel filter AND pump at the same time ?

Very Active Member

Default Replacing fuel filter AND pump at the same time ?

Now that I have been reading about the fuel filter on previous threads , if it needs replacing after a reasonable period of time , thousands of miles or so , should the fuel pump also be replaced ? for the record , I have no problems at all with either but it would be good to know what to do when the time comes ... Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Although I have heard of a few cases where some have had fuel pump problems on the 109....It is not really a part that you would normally change as a service interval item.
    You pretty much run it till it dies.
    It could very well last longer than the bike itself....(or it could die on you tomorrow)

Its no different than the fuel pump in your car, how often do you change the fuel pump in your car?.....Probably never.
    In fact you could ask most folks how may times they change the fuel filter in their car, and get the same answer.

Generally speaking, you should not need to change your fuel pump until there is a problem with it.
    However changing your filter now and then is never a bad idea and is cheap insurance against fuel related break downs.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 08-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.

The pump is something that either works or does not. If it works, then you are good to go. It should not be replaced unless you have an issue with it. The fuel filter can be cleaned and replaced as you deem fit. I consider the fuel pump and filter as mutually exclusive.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

i work on cars and vans for a living and only diesel vehicles ever seem to get the fuel filters changed unless trying to eliminate a problem.

If your concered about the filter just pull the pump and pull the filter. Then just remove the filter from pump and submerge the filter in fresh gas or seafoam and agitate the filter around it will clean right up. Then just reassemble. Just get the fuel level low enough. I run mine down till the fuel light is constantly on. The whole thing should take less than an hour to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Well if money is not a huge issue, and if I where planning a big long trip and I had not changed the filter at all, which I have not at 65,000 km , and I felt the need to change the filter, I would buy the pump and filter as a unit. I may actually wait till the entire assembly is out of the thank and see what other little parts, wires, connection, sensors and so on that I didn't like the condition of and order the works. I hate taking stuff apart twice or in other words I hate bugging hubby to do it, or help me do it twice, if the ugly old parts still worked then I'd hang onto them as a back up, don't like down time during riding season!

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. July 26-30.
    Planning stage. Location secured

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?

I replace my fuel filter every 10,000 miles. It's just preventative maintenance. I've never had a fuel issue.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Well if money is not a huge issue, and if I where planning a big long trip and I had not changed the filter at all, which I have not at 65,000 km , and I felt the need to change the filter, I would buy the pump and filter as a unit. I may actually wait till the entire assembly is out of the thank and see what other little parts, wires, connection, sensors and so on that I didn't like the condition of and order the works. I hate taking stuff apart twice or in other words I hate bugging hubby to do it, or help me do it twice, if the ugly old parts still worked then I'd hang onto them as a back up, don't like down time during riding season!

Man if I had your money BC I would just burn the chump change I have. (Joking)

The other thread that was just going around was how not to spend the money Suzuki wants for the stock filter, now we are talking about changing the whole works.

Pump will set you back an additional $240.00 US

And if you want to do the whole shebang with all the little goodies you would be looking at a cool $425.00 US

That's a lot of cheese to replace stuff that still works, but I guess piece of mind is worth something.
    Luckily I don't have that problem....I lost my mind years ago.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-08.html
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 08-20-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Man if I had your money BC I would just burn the chump change I have. (Joking)

The other thread that was just going around was how not spend the money Suzuki wants for the stock filter, now we are talking about changing the whole works.

Pump will set you back an additional $240.00 US

And if you want to do the whole shebang with all the little goodies you would be looking at a cool $425.00 US

That's a lot of cheese to replace stuff that still works, but I guess piece of mind is worth something.
    Luckily I don't have that problem....I lost my mind years ago.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-08.html
    Holly Cow? Ya that's quite a chunk, maybe why I'm in no rush to even pull it out of the tank, I just have a gut feeling I may not be too pleased with what I see after 11 years in there. Lol it's all still going strong. Never died on me at a stop unless I hit the e-switch by accident. No I don't have money to burn, only in May gas tank! I have been doing my own hair to save for my bike nick nacks. So that's a savings of about 110 a month just cutting and doing my own Hair! So I may have a few bucks over the winter set aside for the job and possible parts. I remember seeing a realy nasty rusty fuel pump module set. Scared me a bit.

Ya B.C., the fuel pump is an expensive part. You don't want to change it unless absolutely necessary. I've changed the external filter twice now, once at 11,000 miles. The other around 21,000 miles. Probably need to change it again soon, since it turned over 30,000 today. Don't know about others, but my bike definitely lets me know when the filter needs changing. Won't take throttle when below half tank, (drop the first bar), dies when coasting down to a stop after half a tank, idles poorly. There is no need to change the pump unless it is toast. And believe me, having had to change them in cages, you will know when the pump needs replacing.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have been doing my own hair to save for my bike nick nacks. So that's a savings of about 110 a month just cutting and doing my own Hair!
    LOL....I don't have to spend money on hair cuts either, I just trim the sides and the back a bit, the top takes care of itself.......falls out so fast these days it does not need cutting.

Starting to have more hair on my face than I do on top my head.

No dye needed either.....gray is a good color......very distinguished right?.......right! LOL

Default Replacing fuel filter AND pump at the same time ?

LOL....I don't have to spend money on hair cuts either, I just trim the sides and the back a bit, the top takes care of itself.......falls out so fast these days it does not need cutting.

No dye needed either.....gray is a good color......very distinguished right?.......right! LOL

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Ya B.C., the fuel pump is an expensive part. You don't want to change it unless absolutely necessary. I've changed the external filter twice now, once at 11,000 miles. The other around 21,000 miles. Probably need to change it again soon, since it turned over 30,000 today. Don't know about others, but my bike definitely lets me know when the filter needs changing. Won't take throttle when below half tank, (drop the first bar), dies when coasting down to a stop after half a tank, idles poorly. There is no need to change the pump unless it is toast. And believe me, having had to change them in cages, you will know when the pump needs replacing.
    Good stuff, thanks for the s/s of it too!

Ya B.C., the fuel pump is an expensive part. You don't want to change it unless absolutely necessary. I've changed the external filter twice now, once at 11,000 miles. The other around 21,000 miles. Probably need to change it again soon
    That External filter must be an aftermarket add on?
    Can't say I have ever seen that on my bike.
    Only the filter in the tank.

BCS

That External filter must be an aftermarket add on?
    Can't say I have ever seen that on my bike.
    Only the filter in the tank.

BCS
    I don't know about an external filter? Did I do a bad spell check?

Was a reply to CBXER55 post.

"Sparky" was replying to cbexer55, not to you.

And I agree with Sparky, cbxer55 must have

been talking about aftermarket mod.

I am 100% sure there is no OEM external one...
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Was a reply to CBXER55 post.
    Awe yes, I see now.

By external filter, I was referring to the filter on the outside of the fuel pump. There is a filter inside the fuel pump, and another outside the fuel pump. That's the one we all change. If you roll without the external filter, you will eventually have to replace the pump, due to the internal filter being plugged.

This is the one that costed $50.00 in 2010, and $75 in 2015.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 08-21-2017 at 03:24 AM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Yeah, when you get into your 50's, your hair starts taking care of itself. None on top, and lots inside your ears and nose.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 08-21-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Yeah, when you get into your 50's, your hair starts taking care of itself. None on top, and lots inside your ears and nose.
    Only wish it would have waited till I was in my 50's......I am close but not there yet.

Bikers don't go grey, we go chrome!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C109R

Didn't someone sorta recently post up about a cheap aftermarket pump that cost less then $100? Not saying the op should change his pump if its working properly cause i wouldn't unless i had to, just asking about that pump. I remember that it took a different more common off the shelf filter, does anyone remember this?

Real bikers don't get grey hair. They go chrome.

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Didn't someone sorta recently post up about a cheap aftermarket pump that cost less then $100? Not saying the op should change his pump if its working properly cause i wouldn't unless i had to, just asking about that pump. I remember that it took a different more common off the shelf filter, does anyone remember this?
    Ya, I'm thinking it didn't work well as it didn't sit far enough to the bottom .