Replacing front turn signal

Thread: Replacing front turn signal

Thumbs down Replacing front turn signal

I need help. My right front turn signal got broken, and I have one to replace it. I CANNOT get the old one out!!! The screw that you take out from the underside WILL NOT BUDGE. AT ALL. Am I missing a step?
    Whats the deal? That screw will not turn. Help.

2011 M109R LE.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by natemc1911 View Post
    I need help. My right front turn signal got broken, and I have one to replace it. I CANNOT get the old one out!!! The screw that you take out from the underside WILL NOT BUDGE. AT ALL. Am I missing a step?
    Whats the deal? That screw will not turn. Help.
    Hmmm is there a bolt at the back? What year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Hmmm is there a bolt at the back? What year

Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    Will the whole light itself turn?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

There is no bolt at the back and the light itself won't turn.

That screw is a b!tch ... it screws directly into the aluminium end of the turn signal, and the different metals kinda get fused together over time.

Try the usual methods: tapping with a hammer .. a good penetrating oil .. or a moderate amount of heat (careful with nearby chrome parts and wiring).

If all else fails, do what I did, and drill it out

Quote Originally Posted by DutchM1800R2 View Post

That screw is a b!tch ... it screws directly into the aluminium end of the turn signal, and the different metals kinda get fused together over time.

Try the usual methods: tapping with a hammer .. a good penetrating oil .. or a moderate amount of heat (careful with nearby chrome parts and wiring).

Thanks! Wow, no wounded hubby didn't want me to change those lights out! Wow

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by DutchM1800R2 View Post

Ditto, I have a 13' so it didn't sit near as long, it takes a #3 Phillips (big) screwdriver, I had to take a hammer and tap it a few times, like above said hit it with some penetrant. When mine came loose it was with that loud popping sound like it just broke in two pieces, but was still intact. When you get it out and put it back together put some never seize on it.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Getcha one of these, no tool box is complete without one.
    Great for removing those stubborn bolts and screws.
    (Look for a bigger set with more bits in it if you can find it, more is better)

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8.../dp/B000NPPATS

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 07-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Very Active Member JerryAttrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Getcha one of these, no tool box is complete without one.
    Great for removing those stubborn bolts and screws.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8.../dp/B000NPPATS

BCS
    Yep, I'll second that! I've had an impact driver for years and on all the old vehicles I own/have owned, I've probably used it more often than each of my ordinary screwdrivers.
    Growing old disgracefully... with a black '08 109R2.
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryAttrick View Post
    Yep, I'll second that! I've had an impact driver for years and on all the old vehicles I own/have owned, I've probably used it more often than each of my ordinary screwdrivers.
    That's a very tiny screw - first u need to use the proper sized screw driver so u don't strip the head and it sounds like u need a big handled screw driver to turn it counterclockwise. Big arm vs tiny screw - who's going to win ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go and get an impact driver. And tap it! Thanks!!!!

2011 M109R LE.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I agree on the impact tool, I bought my first one in 1978 as to change clutch cable on my first bike, 75 Suzuki Titan GT500

Couldn't get the side transmission cover off without it

I seriously doubt you are going to be able to get to it with an impact driver without removing the forks from the triple trees. If you do, it will only strip the head of the phillips head screw. I just helped VACruiser switch some out on his 08. They were fused together (2 types of metal like stated above) Took a lot of muscle and a #3 phillips screw driver (a big one) to get it out. When it lets go, it sounds like you just broke something!

Just an FYI, and probably the reason for some of the misinformation... 06 and 07 had a different chrome piece that the turn signals attach to. They have a slightly different design and are solid metal vs chromed plastic like the 08 and up are.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I seriously doubt you are going to be able to get to it with an impact driver without removing the forks from the triple trees. If you do, it will only strip the head of the phillips head screw. I just helped VACruiser switch some out on his 08. They were fused together (2 types of metal like stated above) Took a lot of muscle and a #3 phillips screw driver (a big one) to get it out. When it lets go, it sounds like you just broke something!

Just an FYI, and probably the reason for some of the misinformation... 06 and 07 had a different chrome piece that the turn signals attach to. They have a slightly different design and are solid metal vs chromed plastic like the 08 and up are.
    My 07 front signal light housing got smashed when it got hit by a car and I can guarantee it was chrome over plastic and the lock screw was directly under the bottom and very easy to get at to screw in and out. Bought my 07 used w/ 14,000 kms so the signal light housing could have been switched out and replaced w/ plastic b4 I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    My 07 front signal light housing got smashed when it got hit by a car and I can guarantee it was chrome over plastic and the lock screw was directly under the bottom and very easy to get at to screw in and out. Bought my 07 used w/ 14,000 kms so the signal light housing could have been switched out and replaced w/ plastic b4 I bought it.

That is possible. That is exactly what I was doing to VACruiser's 9. He found an 08 with extremely low miles that had been dropped. We swapped the tins and several other parts with his 07. The plastic chrome piece had been damaged on the 08, so we pulled his original off the 07. When we did, it was a different design. It was aluminum that had been chromed similar to the grab rails on the rear of the 06's and 07's. We ended up having to swap the cage (bracket for the headlight bucket) as well because of the differences in the 07's signal cover.

After looking at the parts microfiche, it looks like there were 2 different signal covers in 06 and 07.