2008 C109RT Rear Brake not working question
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 2008 C109RT Rear Brake not working question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1

    Default 2008 C109RT Rear Brake not working question

    I am looking for suggestions on what could be causing my rear brake to not work when I press the foot pedal. When I press the pedal the front brake does work like its designed to do however the rear brake caliper does not pop out. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member Stillfree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fjlatorre View Post
    I am looking for suggestions on what could be causing my rear brake to not work when I press the foot pedal. When I press the pedal the front brake does work like its designed to do however the rear brake caliper does not pop out. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
    Most important is to not ride ur bike when ur having doubts about ur brakes - get them looked at immediately b4 riding. Generally speaking on most standard disc brakes If u can see that for sure the pistons r not moving the brake pad out when being applied then the pistons r most likely seized and u will have to rebuilt or replace the caliper. The more pad wear the easier to see if the pad is moving. On some brakes if the pad is worn down to the metal plate then the pistons can come out too far and get stuck but usually b4 that happens u can hear or feel that the brakes are metal to metal. The basic principal of hydraulic brakes r the same in cars , trucks and bikes ( forget abt ABS and air brakes ). On ur bike u should check ur brake fluid in the brake reservoir to make sure its at the propper level. Then check for any brake hydraulic leaks from brake lines, calipers and brake reservoirs and check ur brake linkage and any cables. When applied your brake pedal and brake lever should not be soft or spongy - it should b hard/firm and ur brakes should react immediately when applied.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Stillfree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    Most important is to not ride ur bike when ur having doubts about ur brakes - get them looked at immediately b4 riding. Generally speaking on most standard disc brakes If u can see that for sure the pistons r not moving the brake pad out when being applied then the pistons r most likely seized and u will have to rebuilt or replace the caliper. The more pad wear the easier to see if the pad is moving. On some brakes if the pad is worn down to the metal plate then the pistons can come out too far and get stuck but usually b4 that happens u can hear or feel that the brakes are metal to metal. The basic principal of hydraulic brakes r the same in cars , trucks and bikes ( forget abt ABS and air brakes ). On ur bike u should check ur brake fluid in the brake reservoir to make sure its at the propper level. Then check for any brake hydraulic leaks from brake lines, calipers and brake reservoirs and check ur brake linkage and any cables. When applied your brake pedal and brake lever should not be soft or spongy - it should b hard/firm and ur brakes should react immediately when applied.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Spongy soft brakes is usually a sign of brake fluid leakage , air in the system or both.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Stillfree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    Spongy soft brakes is usually a sign of brake fluid leakage , air in the system or both.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Propper adjustment of brake linkage and cable is also important and should b checked.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •