M109 Rider Forums banner

2008 C109RT Rear Brake not working question

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Stillfree 
#1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on what could be causing my rear brake to not work when I press the foot pedal. When I press the pedal the front brake does work like its designed to do however the rear brake caliper does not pop out. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

#2 ·
Most important is to not ride ur bike when ur having doubts about ur brakes - get them looked at immediately b4 riding. Generally speaking on most standard disc brakes If u can see that for sure the pistons r not moving the brake pad out when being applied then the pistons r most likely seized and u will have to rebuilt or replace the caliper. The more pad wear the easier to see if the pad is moving. On some brakes if the pad is worn down to the metal plate then the pistons can come out too far and get stuck but usually b4 that happens u can hear or feel that the brakes are metal to metal. The basic principal of hydraulic brakes r the same in cars , trucks and bikes ( forget abt ABS and air brakes ). On ur bike u should check ur brake fluid in the brake reservoir to make sure its at the propper level. Then check for any brake hydraulic leaks from brake lines, calipers and brake reservoirs and check ur brake linkage and any cables. When applied your brake pedal and brake lever should not be soft or spongy - it should b hard/firm and ur brakes should react immediately when applied.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.